Does my used truck have a performance tune? Forscan check?

FoMoCoDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
I bought a 2019 SCab after selling my 2020 Crew. This 2019 is very peppy compared to my 2020. It also gets a little bit better gas mileage, maybe due to less weight. I run in D or Tow mode, to see what gear i'm in.

I wonder if it has a Ford or aftermarket tune. I don't think so, the truck looks 100% stock, it's just quicker.

Can Forscan detect/reveal a different tune than stock. Can It show a programming # or some data that shows its stock?. have only used forscan to change software settings. I have not used any of the diagnostic features.

The new ride.
PXL_20231227_220455222.jpg
Sponsored

moorejl57

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4, 501A, fully damped
Occupation
Engineer
Put it in D and press the a button on the shift to display the gears. See if it skips 2nd.

Loweredon33s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
Best way is just to see if it skips gears in drive and whether auto start stop works in drive. Otherwise you would need to look at some specific data.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a 2019 SCab after selling my 2020 Crew. This 2019 is very peppy compared to my 2020. It also gets a little bit better gas mileage, maybe due to less weight. I run in D or Tow mode, to see what gear i'm in.

I wonder if it has a Ford or aftermarket tune. I don't think so, the truck looks 100% stock, it's just quicker.

Can Forscan detect/reveal a different tune than stock. Can It show a programming # or some data that shows its stock?. have only used forscan to change software settings. I have not used any of the diagnostic features.

The new ride.
PXL_20231227_220455222.jpg
The easiest way is to take it to a dealer and have them tell you. Otherwise from what I have read you could compare boost and shifting patterns to a stock vehicle.

If it wasn't disclosed during the sale I am not sure what to tell you though, as tunes CAN but not always void warranty for certain items.

Dieseldean1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Best way is just to see if it skips gears in drive and whether auto start stop works in drive. Otherwise you would need to look at some specific data.
Why’s that? I have the Ford Performance Tune, and auto start/stop is no different, nor is the shifting.
Drive still skips 2nd & 4 th gear-

Beach

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 BMW M235, Volcon Grunt
Occupation
Financial advisor
My '19 always skips 2nd from what I've seen, is that normal? It does use all the other gears, gets to 10th at 60ish on highway. Also I noticed that you only need to shift to S for a moment, then back to D and the gear display will stay until your next stop

Loweredon33s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
My '19 always skips 2nd from what I've seen, is that normal? It does use all the other gears, gets to 10th at 60ish on highway. Also I noticed that you only need to shift to S for a moment, then back to D and the gear display will stay until your next stop
It’s going to skip second and sometimes fourth on the factory calibration. Apparently a lot of tuners leave it active too for some reason but whatever. Shifting to S doesn’t necessarily turn on the gear indicator. Don’t know why you would do that when all you have to do is push the + button on the shifter.

Beach

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 BMW M235, Volcon Grunt
Occupation
Financial advisor
oh ok, I'll check that out. I thought you had to go to S but I didn't want to manually shift so went back to D and that worked.

scarchild35

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sales Engineer
Congratulations on the supercab.
A couple of things:
The supercab is going to be quicker because it weighs less than a crew. If you have the XL version 2wd you will have the lightest configuration. STX package gives you painted aluminum wheels vs the good old stock steel wheels. There's definitely a weight savings there too, albeit a small one, but it all adds up. Obviously simple physics at play there.

I poured over specs before I ordered mine and read somewhere that the 19s were posting quicker 0-60 times across the board than later model years, regardless of trim or cab configuration. Not sure why that is. Considerably quicker times yet noting the same hp and torque numbers.

So it could be as simple as that.

But to be sure, seek out someone locally who can check it through Forscan. A good reputable speed shop with a dyno could tell you but of course you have to spend some dough.

I have a 22 supercab 2wd xl stx and it is very quick, faster than I need it really. I'm planning on getting a tune at some point after the loan is paid off. I couldn't imagine what my truck would be like with a tune.

Good luck and please let us know if you ever find out.

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
You guys are crazy. The Supercab is not faster because its’s a Supercab. It’s faster because it is Blue.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
oh ok, I'll check that out. I thought you had to go to S but I didn't want to manually shift so went back to D and that worked.
Pressing the +/- does what you want, as long as you're in drive.

I find it annoying that in sport I can't see the gear.

One of the things I liked about my subi was that I could put it into sport and shift, or not. It would shift at a preprogrammed r0m, or I could shift it. A "friend" told me.... In sport if I press +/- it will just go to redline and never shift...
Sponsored