Disable fake engine noise

screwnutz

First Name
DREW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger stx
Hello everyone. I have been following this post for a bit and decided to sign up today so i could chime in with some info. I have a 2019 ranger stx that I just recently had a sub and amp installed in. The fake engine noise is absolutely there. I thought i had heard it before the sub was installed but it was very subtle and never really paid much attention to it. Now that the sub is installed you can hear it clear as day because it gets played through the sub. I don't think this is restricted to the sync vs sync 3 or trim levels. My truck has the standard sync system in it. Now that the sub is installed I am desperately looking for a way to disable the sound because it is so overly exaggerated on the much large speaker. I will see if i can get a video of it tomorrow to show you guys.
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
In some Fords, there is a lone fuse that when pulled disables the noise. It's subtle enough in the Ranger that my guess is only people like you will care enough to try and disable it.

Start reading the fuse panel diagram and see if you can decipher which fuse feeds that noise. The service manual should also have wiring diagrams that might help uncover some clues.

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors
Not sure if you read the above post but it certainly is active it amplifys sounds my truck subwoofer will play feedback at the moment if I tap the front door panels.
And my computer's speaker setup will play noise if i ever touch my desk while the aux cord is sitting on it, that's how EMI works, and the human body is surprisingly well-cut to many wavelengths. This just means you have an isolation issue with your electronics setup.

Last edited:

dreamst8

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT SuperCrew
Occupation
Consulting
Hello everyone. I have been following this post for a bit and decided to sign up today so i could chime in with some info. I have a 2019 ranger stx that I just recently had a sub and amp installed in. The fake engine noise is absolutely there. I thought i had heard it before the sub was installed but it was very subtle and never really paid much attention to it. Now that the sub is installed you can hear it clear as day because it gets played through the sub. I don't think this is restricted to the sync vs sync 3 or trim levels. My truck has the standard sync system in it. Now that the sub is installed I am desperately looking for a way to disable the sound because it is so overly exaggerated on the much large speaker. I will see if i can get a video of it tomorrow to show you guys.
Any luck disabling this freaking garbage sound?
I just got a sub installed and it's annoying AF!!

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I have been doing an insane amount of research and cross analysis on trying to figure this out. I have come to a few non-conclusive results.

I have come up with a new way to test instead of pulling my fuse to test. I found that I can feel a small amount of vibration (noise) from the lower front speaker when ese is active by putting my hand down there. It correlates with engine rpm and is 100% not there when I pull fuse #33 under the dash (radio will not work with that fuse pulled btw)

Ive found that there are two types of "fake" audio:
1) active noise control (anc)
2) Engine Sound enhancement (ese) or Engine noise enhancement or Fake engine noise generation(feng)

-The s550 mustang crowd has been battling this with the gt350, where the gt 350 has no anc but has ese. Many say the 727-01-01 xxxx x*xx xxxx change only disables the anc and not the ese. Which I can confirm does not disable the fake engine noise in the ranger.

-The focus rs crowd also has this problem and has found a way to disable it. BUT in the focus rs it is controlled by the dacmc (digital audio control module c) which our rangers do NOT have. So it has to be controlled via the acm some how, in the ranger.

-Also, the f150 clan claims that the ford IDS software can disable the fake engine noise by going into the audio tab and literally selecting "Engine Noise enhancement" off.
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/active-noise-control-fake-engine-disable-how-312261/index5/
look at post #47

In the acm module for my ranger there is more 727-xx-xx blocks than what is listed on fords as-built database, so it is hard to find any real information on this. I think the best way is to do a "save all" of the entire asbuilt data for the acm then go and disable with ford IDS (if possible). Then compare the newly changed as built with saved as built to see what the changes were, (I assume it works like that), then post up the changes here.

A lot of work to go nowhere. :headbang:

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
A lot of work to go nowhere especially if it’s not there to begin with.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
In the acm module for my ranger there is more 727-xx-xx blocks than what is listed on fords as-built database, so it is hard to find any real information on this. I think the best way is to do a "save all" of the entire asbuilt data for the acm then go and disable with ford IDS (if possible). Then compare the newly changed as built with saved as built to see what the changes were, (I assume it works like that), then post up the changes here.
I think I have determined that the extra blocks in the ACM module are place holders for the radio presets. I'm sure Ford does not pre-populate them at the factory. Maybe that is a dealer prep thing, because mine was populated with all local stations.

I like your idea on doing a compare after making the IDS change. Just need to have someone with access to IDS do it. There are a few other changes I would like to find for our ranger. Like how to add a few flashes for lane change.

The "ESE or FENG" if it is really there, which a lot of people believe and hate, doesn't bother me. But, then I'm old, hard of hearing and have other bigger things to worry about.

y2krtaf

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
I have a feeling the person who said if you have the factory sync system,not the little 4 inches you have the added noise ,sound through your stereo.
Only reason I say this, is,I have ridden in 2 different trucks with the factory sync system that added and amp and sub,and the added sound is truly noticeable.

I added the larger sync system to my XL from 4dnet,all factory parts,then added a sub to my system,and don’t have the same added sound coming through the stereo like they do.

It’s amazing the length that makers go through to add or remove sounds from cars.
My Hellcat with Harmon Kardons fancy stereo,actually uses the subs for active noise cancellation.
I want that badass V8 roar in that thing LOL!

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
The "ESE or FENG" if it is really there, which a lot of people believe and hate, doesn't bother me. But, then I'm old, hard of hearing and have other bigger things to worry about.
I couldn't agree more.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
A lot of work to go nowhere especially if it’s not there to begin with.
I couldn't agree more.
If adding a subwoofer causes the engine noise to suddenly become louder and more obnoxious, doesn't that lend some credence to the issue being real?

Ranger1701

First Name
Jillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Hi. So can someone please explain the fake engine noise to me? Perhaps I don't notice it or perhaps I just don't have that in my 2020? I don't think I hear anything through my speakers. I do notice a slight sound when accelerating, which I assumed was the turbo.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
If I recall, the factory amp is under the center console? It seems the noise is being injected there? It would seem there is some input ... I would like to get more detail on the pins on the unit.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I've never heard anything remotely resembling "fake engine" sounds...anyone else?
No.
My truck is insanely quiet compared to my wife's Edge and my former 07 Explorer.
Love the quiet of it immensely!

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
Hi. So can someone please explain the fake engine noise to me? Perhaps I don't notice it or perhaps I just don't have that in my 2020? I don't think I hear anything through my speakers. I do notice a slight sound when accelerating, which I assumed was the turbo.
When you really put your foot down, after a moment (seemingly aligned with the turbo spooling up) there's an oddly deep and admittedly satisfying V6 or V8 sound to the engine, which doesn't sound a 4cyl at all. It's very convincing though and until I came across these threads I had actually assumed it was how Ford did the exhaust system.

To 99% of people it's simply "the engine sound" and they will never know that it's not the "actual" engine sound.

I have a KIA Sorento SX with a 2.0L 4cyl and twin-scroll turbo. 240hp and 260lbs torque. It's very similar to the Ranger engine. Sound is completely different.

Would be interesting to stand outside the Ranger while someone speeds off in it, to hear what it actually sounds like.

Last edited:

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I have a Hyundai Sante Fe 2.0T and the primary sound I am waiting to hear is when the engine throws a rod as hundreds of thousands have done. Driven 4 cylinder turbos since 1986 and completely agree that the Ranger sound is not natural for a 4 cylinder. But I kind of like it.
Sponsored