levimac`

First Name
levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger super crew 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Add me to the list of people who changed their rear differential fluid and found nasties. 6200 miles and should have done it sooner. Dark and found a 5/8" long machining chip stuck to the magnet, some other fines in drained oil. I worked in a machine show while going to school, so I know what a machining chip looks like.
Drain plug 1.jpg
Drain plug 2.jpg

At least it was on the magnet.

This is what I did also. Used some sealant for use with synthetic oil. Was going to do both but realized before I drained the front front (luckly) I needed another quart of fluid. (bad math) Used Valvoline full synthetic 75-90. Always tomorrow when your retired.
That is rather large, did you report it to the dealer or Ford for quality control by Ford. They have to have a chance to inspect the axle for damage, it may need replacement of the axle, these things have a 60000 mile warranty repair for 5 years
Sponsored

Dylan Ellzey

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Research Analyst
If you guys happen to run by and ask a rep about the material in these differentials, please post. I just changed mine (19 xlt 2wd locker) and it was about 1/4-1/2 inch on the magnet of metallic paste, don’t remember ever seeing a brand new quite so bad. I found one chip about 1/8” long in the groove of the magnet. Seems strange to me. Maybe just break in and looking too much into it.
7BA808D2-2EC5-4BBE-B054-0D33796AC6D8.jpeg

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 White Platinum
Vehicle Showcase
I re-used the washers, and added just a bit of thread sealant. No leaks so far, truck performs fine..but I've only done some short in-town trips since the fluids change. I'll be taking it off road this evening to go check out the Neowise comet, and think I'll put about 20-30 miles on it in 4WD. Plan to check the transfer case as well as both diffs for leaks tomorrow just to be sure.
What torque spec did you use for the transfer case drain and fill plugs?

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
20 ft.lb., per the shop manual I've attached.

Attachments

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Thankful how easy it is to change. Flushing some fluid through to clean out dirty stuff is a good idea.

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
20 ft.lb., per the shop manual I've attached.
Thanks for the differential drain/fill plug torque specs. Might you have a working file for 308-07B Transfer Case from the shop manual as well? I couldn’t seem to get a working copy to download. If not, I could also narrow down the torque spec for the transfer case drain and fill plugs by bolt size and material. thanks

Last edited:

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Thanks for the differential drain/fill plug torque specs. Might you have a working file for 308-07B Transfer Case from the shop manual as well? I couldn’t seem to get a working copy to download. If not, I could also narrow down the torque spec for the transfer case drain and fill plugs by bolt size and material. thanks
I just used 20 ft.lb. for the transfer case, as I also could not get the shop manual to work for that section. Did not feel like I was over torquing anything, and no leaks.

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just used 20 ft.lb. for the transfer case, as I also could not get the shop manual to work for that section. Did not feel like I was over torquing anything, and no leaks.
Much appreciated, I’ll do the same.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Much appreciated, I’ll do the same.
Also note that the shop manual says to throw away your original plug and replace it with new. When I did mine, Ford was backordered for months on drain plugs, so I just re-used mine. I did add a small amount of high-temperature pipe dope to the threads (NOT thread locker) to make sure it would not leak. No issues at all.

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
So decided to change the fluid on the front and rear differentials at 25,000. Front was clear with a slight purple color(I use royal purple). So the front is doing great and I honestly just wasted money. The rear however came out black and with a big chunk of metal. I’ll show pics.

A7232244-9E00-41BC-A303-A65C4BC9CF21.jpeg

34DA4738-DE57-4434-B255-AB8646816B04.jpeg

Amsoil guy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Hydro Vac operator/ Amsoil Dealer
Do you guys know if any “How to” videos to do this job. I’m sure it is pretty straight forward. Drain plug on the bottom, fill plug up top and your good to go I assume. Just want to make sure.
TIA

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Do you guys know if any “How to” videos to do this job. I’m sure it is pretty straight forward. Drain plug on the bottom, fill plug up top and your good to go I assume. Just want to make sure.
TIA
It was just like every other transfer case I've ever seen. Pull lower plug, let it drain. Pull upper plug. Clean and replace lower plug. Fill through upper plug hole until fluid overflows. Replace upper plug.

I'll attach the shop manuals from Ford that cover this procedure for both front and rear diffs. Good luck!

Attachments

Amsoil guy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
It was just like every other transfer case I've ever seen. Pull lower plug, let it drain. Pull upper plug. Clean and replace lower plug. Fill through upper plug hole until fluid overflows. Replace upper plug.

I'll attach the shop manuals from Ford that cover this procedure for both front and rear diffs. Good luck!
Perfect, thank you. I figured as much, just want to make sure.?

Mr.Scary

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger sport 4x4
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Did my rear diff today and was really dirty and the oil was metallic but no machine chunks. Filled back up with amsoil 80w90 full synthetic. Drain plug had lots of metal that I was glad to get out. Would post pics but don’t know how since photo bucket sucks now. Also I have 32,000 km on my truck.

Amsoil guy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Did the rear Diff last weekend. 15,000km on it. Oil was black and a little sludgy. No real noticeable metal shavings. Used the same drain plug torqued to spec.
Sponsored