First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
even though i'm in my sixties i've decided to change the oil myself. It's not that hard really, i have my own ramps and catch basin but the design of this vehicle and getting at the filter etc is a pain in the azz. I don't do any off roading so i just leave that skid plate off. Synthetic all the way every 10,000 miles
LOL, I'm 67 and had no problems whatsoever doing the task, didn't even have to raise the vehicle.

As for the filter location, I've seen worse...a lot worse.
Sponsored

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
[
even though i'm in my sixties i've decided to change the oil myself. It's not that hard really, i have my own ramps and catch basin but the design of this vehicle and getting at the filter etc is a pain in the azz. I don't do any off roading so i just leave that skid plate off. Synthetic all the way every 10,000 miles
Today, I am 77. Yipee! I still change the oil, rotate the tires, and do general maintenance on all three of my vehicles. If this was your first time removing the filter, they are super tight from the factory, much easier removal after that. I have very low mileage on each vehicle so I change the oil and filter once a year.

BS67

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Eye Tech, 2A supporter, USMC "Doc" '89-'95
[

Today, I am 77. Yipee! I still change the oil, rotate the tires, and do general maintenance on all three of my vehicles. If this was your first time removing the filter, they are super tight from the factory, much easier removal after that. I have very low mileage on each vehicle so I change the oil and filter once a year.
Happy Birthday Kent!

Ranger Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hot Wheel
ANYTHING (which is plenty) I don't have to have the "dealer" do, even if I "paid for it" (and I have an added on $ service warranty that includes fluids like oil), I don't let them. I'm sure there are some dealerships / dealership mechanics that actually know what they are doing, care about what they are doing, and perhaps most importantly have the time to do even simple things like an oil change right.

But... in a life time of only owning new cars, I'd say about 75% of the "dealer services", including more "intensive" type mechanical services resulted in something done wrong, or causing other damages or just making a mess / not caring, and a return visit.

If cars (and trucks) cost $100... who would care. Mine cost a LOT more, so I do care.

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Ford Dealership Service departments around here all get so many bad reviews. I actually expect them to do more harm than me just figuring out how to do things myself.
Yep, I fear harm to my truck having a dealership work on it.
OP, go to yelp and Google reviews and any other place and leave a review. It's our only tool we have to help others with choosing a shop to take our trucks to.
Where I live, there's a place called Skyline Ford in Salem, about an hour away, that gets good reviews.
Otherwise, most get bad service department reviews.
Here's another place to leave a review:
https://www.dealerrater.com/

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
[

Happy Birthday brotha! Like a timex watch ?

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
[

Happy Birthday!
I sure hope that 10 years from now I'll be able to do the things you can...
As it is now, the puny 205/70R15 tires on my Honda seem to weigh as much as the 36's BFGoodrich all terrains I had on my '81 Flareside way back when...lol

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
And....... This is why I never take my vehicles to the dealership for any type of service unless it's warranty work.

Years back they almost destroyed my wives car when all the oil leaked out of the pan as she was on the freeway.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
[

Happy Birthday you older goat. Not telling but you got me beat by 6, & yes I still do my own oil changes, tire rotation & general maintenance. Keep up the young at heart it is healthy. :like:

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ANYTHING (which is plenty) I don't have to have the "dealer" do, even if I "paid for it" (and I have an added on $ service warranty that includes fluids like oil), I don't let them. I'm sure there are some dealerships / dealership mechanics that actually know what they are doing, care about what they are doing, and perhaps most importantly have the time to do even simple things like an oil change right.

But... in a life time of only owning new cars, I'd say about 75% of the "dealer services", including more "intensive" type mechanical services resulted in something done wrong, or causing other damages or just making a mess / not caring, and a return visit.

If cars (and trucks) cost $100... who would care. Mine cost a LOT more, so I do care.
I truly feel sorry for some so-called automotive techs who feel compelled to base their diagnosis of an ICE based solely on what the code reader spits out.

Case in point: I was asked by a good buddy to help his 25 year old Son, employed as a "tech" at a local Ford dealership. The poor kid was trying to get a '67 Cougar with a 289 to start, however the presence of a carburetor and distributor baffled and frightened him.

He thought I was a wizard when showed him that the points were grounded...a quick trip to Autozone and replacement of the points and condenser, and viola! the little Windsor roared to life!

His Dad insisted he take me to dinner, I declined and told him to buy a copy of this book for his Son.

51if3-L1MyL.jpg

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Ford offers freebies such as this to drum up business for a dealership...
Ford does the FordPass thing not to drum up business at dealerships, but to allow them to say "first two years of service included." Meanwhile half the folks don't even know about the system and leave them unused.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Happy Birthday!
I sure hope that 10 years from now I'll be able to do the things you can...
As it is now, the puny 205/70R15 tires on my Honda seem to weigh as much as the 36's BFGoodrich all terrains I had on my '81 Flareside way back when...lol
Thanks Jeff. I hear you about the tires. I have found rather than lifting the tires (especially on the Jeep) if is easier to lower the vehicle. :rockon:
Sponsored