CR Stage 3 / 4 turbo upgrade.

wilsoN_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor 2022 Kawasaki ZX-14R
Occupation
Logistics
Tell me you guys have never messed with performance vehicles and turbo systems without telling me. A lot of us really don’t care about possible broken parts tbh, it’s the nature of the beast. To some of us, these are toys and we like messing with modifying them and can afford to and can physically repair them ourselves.
Sponsored

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
Tell me you guys have never messed with performance vehicles and turbo systems without telling me. A lot of us really don’t care about possible broken parts tbh, it’s the nature of the beast. To some of us, these are toys and we like messing with modifying them and can afford to and can physically repair them ourselves.
Eh it’s not about ability so much as desire. I want my truck to be reliable. With all my damn projects I need something in my life I can count on. I’ve done engine swaps before. No fun when unexpected.

General mindset on the forums will likely change when the truck, salvage parts depreciate more and aren’t under warranty.

wilsoN_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor 2022 Kawasaki ZX-14R
Occupation
Logistics
Eh it’s not about ability so much as desire. I want my truck to be reliable. With all my damn projects I need something in my life I can count on. I’ve done engine swaps before. No fun when unexpected.

General mindset on the forums will likely change when the truck, salvage parts depreciate more and aren’t under warranty.
Yeah well not everyone has the same outlook or desire.

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
Yeah well not everyone has the same outlook or desire.
Okay, it seemed you were asserting the lack of desire was a knowledge/skill gap. People should paddle their own canoe. More power to OP but I don’t appreciate any implied air of superiority.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Again nobody is up in arms about voiding a warranty which most of us with an extensive amount of modifications have done so anyhow.

People take issue with thieves and scammers. I don't care how much you don't like dealerships it doesn't give you the right to try and steal or scam them because you want to play Frankenstein with your truck and not have the responsibility of something goes wrong. To which the original poster admitted he would try if he had something go wrong and needed to take it into the dealership and then would attempt to shop different dealerships if he didn't get the result he wanted from trying to hide what he had done.

I voided my warranty on the powertrain when my truck only had something like 4,000 miles on the odometer so save me the bullcrap.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Screenshot_20230721-191350.jpg

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
At the risk of triggering a zombie thread I've been reading about turbo upgrades. I haven't found anything convincing on turbo swaps and keep coming back to the conclusion one thing Ford got right was the factory turbo for most of us - even for modest performance gains.

Bigger turbos need freer flowing downpipe and exhausts and then you will likely be dealing with bothersome CELs all the time.

I'm still an advocate for E30 when you can find it although it sounds like the intercooler piping and cooler itself would be the logical focus. Some type of intake improvement too but that's a hotly debated subject. On that it seems that just getting more air on the dirty side ahead of the stock filter would be a great improvement. The AfE Magnum isn't enough.

With the supposed gains a tune gives a mid 300 hp configuration seems achievable without destroying the motor and transmission with minor upgrades?

yamahaSHO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 23 Maverick, 04 S2000, 07 Sky RL
Occupation
ECU Calibration - USAF Retired
Vehicle Showcase

I have to fight myself on modding as I mod everything. That said, I have done some stuff to my truck with the only performance being an intercooler and tune. Other than that, typical comfort/usability stuff (shocks, TBC, headlights, etc). I don't want this truck to turn into a project as I have enough, though I don't particularly care about the warranty as the people working on vehicles at dealerships will likely cause more issues than they fix. I considered a downpipe, but read how much noise/drone they induce here and decided I didn't want that at all.

On the wife's Maverick, I'm just tuning it... That's it for performance.

I may be getting old. But... I still get to play with customer cars since I tune many platforms.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
I
I when with the stage 3 turbo upgrade and I am using 5star base tune. Till we finish my custom tune with full bolt ons running pump gas. It was pretty straight forward in the process of upgrading my turbo. You asked quite a few questions so lets start with the first few. Reliable - so far yes and the power feels exactly the same below 3000 rpm after that it keeps pulling till redline. Dyno - haven't put it on one since I upgraded the turbo but over the 400 mark fueling issues have come up. Like most upgrading do one thing then another comes about.
But before you upgrade the turbo consider how you drive cause if you like 40 to 60 WOT or low speed desert runs then stock is perfect but if you like to ring it out to 80 or 100. Go with the upgrade turbo at WOT 80 to 100 hits like your going 40. Hope that helps with your decision cause other an the stage 4 turbo and e85 I have done and try everything for the ranger in upgrade some work but others just look nice.
Thanks for this input. Do you have upgraded intercooler pipes? I'm curious if these would help down low.

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
I have to fight myself on modding as I mod everything. That said, I have done some stuff to my truck with the only performance being an intercooler and tune. Other than that, typical comfort/usability stuff (shocks, TBC, headlights, etc). I don't want this truck to turn into a project as I have enough, though I don't particularly care about the warranty as the people working on vehicles at dealerships will likely cause more issues than they fix. I considered a downpipe, but read how much noise/drone they induce here and decided I didn't want that at all.

On the wife's Maverick, I'm just tuning it... That's it for performance.

I may be getting old. But... I still get to play with customer cars since I tune many platforms.
Curious how the new intercooler helped keep pressurized iat temps in check. I haven't datalogged the ranger, but I suspect the oem intercooler is just adequate at best. I've looked at the whipple cooler and they suggest it is like sliced bread. 🙂

Ljhardrock

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2.3l, AFe 3in Turbo back Exhaust, AFe Intercooler pipe, Turbosmart BOV, 5star Tuning 91perf, Mishimoto cold air Intake, Big Mouth air ram, Mountune intercooler,
Occupation
A/C Tech
Thanks for this input. Do you have upgraded intercooler pipes? I'm curious if these would help down low.
Your welcome and yes I'm using Mishimoto intercooler pipe paired with there intercooler for a little over a year now and would recommend it.
It will give you more power cross the whole power band but to get the most out of it I would get a good tune as while.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
That was one of my concerns so at 30k I upgraded transmission cover to hold more fluid and better cooling while as the differential. I'm at 72k now and had the transmission maintenance at 65k all was good but I have heard of people not being so lucky.
What maintenance did you do? Drop and fill? Flush? And where did you go?

Ljhardrock

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2.3l, AFe 3in Turbo back Exhaust, AFe Intercooler pipe, Turbosmart BOV, 5star Tuning 91perf, Mishimoto cold air Intake, Big Mouth air ram, Mountune intercooler,
Occupation
A/C Tech
What maintenance did you do? Drop and fill? Flush? And where did you go?
I did a flush the first time I upgraded everything but after that just normal fluid maintenance or if needed.... I did it myself but this wasn't the first time I have done work like this in the past.

yamahaSHO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 23 Maverick, 04 S2000, 07 Sky RL
Occupation
ECU Calibration - USAF Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Curious how the new intercooler helped keep pressurized iat temps in check. I haven't datalogged the ranger, but I suspect the oem intercooler is just adequate at best. I've looked at the whipple cooler and they suggest it is like sliced bread. 🙂

I haven't towed with my truck yet... I actually rarely drive it. I have 3,5xx miles on it and have had it a year. It will take over as my tow vehicle, but not yet as I still like my diesel Jeep that's been towing for me for years and about to hit 255k miles.

I mostly got the intercooler for towing, when I get the trailer brake installed, I'll go test it out. If someone local wants to test there stock intercooler at the same time and same load, I can always accommodate that.

When I upgraded the intercooler on my Jeep, the temps didn't really change, but it moved more air and it still made more power. I kind of expect that will be the same with the Ranger upgraded intercooler. You trade something with little mass and great heat transfer with something with significantly more mass, but also more volume. The mass aids in temps staying lower initially, but can also make it harder to bring heat soak back down. I did a bunch of testing on this sort of thing on one of my dyno days. I had about 10 cars on the dyno, tuning them. The OEM intercoolers always recovered much more quickly. There were all Subarus.
Sponsored