First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
I mean, ok. The turbo install is pretty easy as long as you don’t mess up the lines. I have done it already and have pictures. I haven’t seen any reason to change the radiator yet but I’d be interested to see how it goes.

Reactions: Doc

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
We just dyno tuned a 19 with the cr 57 turbo and full bolt ons with 93 octane. The results were pretty impressive, especially when compared to a stock dyno graph.
Can you post the dyno chart?

Loweredon33s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
Can you post the dyno chart?
Before anyone starts giving me shit….. this is a graph depicting two different trucks. Blue is a completely stock 19 with a Roush catback and 93 in the tank. Red is a full bolt on 19 with CRP 57mm turbo with 93 octane in the tank and tuning by Revolution automotive. I understand that they are not the same truck at the same time but…. They are both on the same dyno, similar tire/wheel weight and diameter and both were personally datalogged and witnessed by us at our shop. The blue line is very common for a stock truck on 93 with heavy wheels. There is a 166rwhp gain under the curve up top. We even ran it out to 6500rpm and it was still making power! These are big dick numbers of course and the power was backed down slightly as well as the shift points to keep everything happy in all conditions. The truck is pretty much out of fuel flow and octane at this point. Note the difference in power down low because of the heavie/larger compressor. Also note that the torque is not a huge bump, it’s flattened out to deliver useable power that keeps going on rather than the big bump then a big letdown that other tuners do. This makes the peak torque number lower than most because of

image.jpeg

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
Also note that the torque is not a huge bump, it’s flattened out to deliver useable power that keeps going on rather than the big bump then a big letdown that other tuners do. This makes the peak torque number lower than most.
It's called a torque hole (or at least that's what we called at Honda) to give up the peak torque number to fill in the "hole" makes for a much better torque band that translates into a much better driving engine, typically the hole was in a part of the band that the drivers spend a lot of time in or driving out of.
It's good to see a tuner that does not focus on the peak numbers, a smoothed power band is the way to go in my opinion, even if you don't get the bragging numbers.

Loweredon33s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
It's called a torque hole (or at least that's what we called at Honda) to give up the peak torque number to fill in the "hole" makes for a much better torque band that translates into a much better driving engine, typically the hole was in a part of the band that the drivers spend a lot of time in or driving out of.
It's good to see a tuner that does not focus on the peak numbers, a smoothed power band is the way to go in my opinion, even if you don't get the bragging numbers.
Thank you! We have been in the game a long time, we don’t make fake numbers or claims. It’s not easy to smooth that bump out but when it’s smoothed like that the whole thing works so much better. Traction, drive experience, acceleration etc are improved by doing this.

IMG_0680.jpeg

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
Most people would not get it, they are just hunting for the big numbers!

In 2007, we developed a NA 3.5L V8 for IMSA's LMP2 class, a torqueless engine, the regular young guys working on the calibration said "okay final cal" it was terrible, the drivers hated it. One of the senior guys spent a week on the dyno, wore one engine out, continued with a second one, finally after changing funnel length and the calibration, he flattened out the curve, management was unhappy with the final numbers, he said "I cant fill the hole, so I brought down the peaks" time was up, the 12 hrs of Sebring was in two days. They sent the cal to the track, the drivers were very happy, Honda won, mgmt was happy, but... we really only won because Penske's Porsche failed an alternator. Sorry to hijack the thread!!

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Thank you! We have been in the game a long time, we don’t make fake numbers or claims. It’s not easy to smooth that bump out but when it’s smoothed like that the whole thing works so much better. Traction, drive experience, acceleration etc are improved by doing this.

IMG_0680.jpeg
The horsepower jump is very impressive and the way the power looks to come on at the mid 3K RPMs instead of being down until hitting much higher levels than typical driving is attractive. My reservations about turbo upgrades would have been loss of power at mixed traffic driving but it doesn't look like yours took a hit.

Those smooth patterns suggest a fairly refined experience behind the wheel. That turbo upgrade is pretty attractive if it can be integrated into a more stock configuration. You haven't needed to change anything internally right? I seem to recall there might be upgraded injectors available. And is this with or without the water/meth setup?

Even half those gains on a daily driver would be awesome.

Loweredon33s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
The horsepower jump is very impressive and the way the power looks to come on at the mid 3K RPMs instead of being down until hitting much higher levels than typical driving is attractive. My reservations about turbo upgrades would have been loss of power at mixed traffic driving but it doesn't look like yours took a hit.

Those smooth patterns suggest a fairly refined experience behind the wheel. That turbo upgrade is pretty attractive if it can be integrated into a more stock configuration. You haven't needed to change anything internally right? I seem to recall there might be upgraded injectors available. And is this with or without the water/meth setup?

Even half those gains on a daily driver would be awesome.
This was a customers truck but no, his engine and fuel system were not touched. It’s moving all the fuel that it can though and would need ethanol and injectors to make any more power.
My truck is indeed similarly built but with different brand components and a custom set of injectors. I am running e30 in mine. My truck is driven daily in all conditions and performs great with the larger turbo, the tuning makes all the difference with the turbo upgrade, it’s quite lethargic until properly calibrated for.
Sponsored