First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
CAD Design/Automotive Prototyping
Yes, it’s BS. Gas just got above $5 a gallon a few weeks ago and it’s been climbing ever since. I’m thinking about a Prius power plant swap for the Ranger
LOL you ain’t kidding.

Gas gets to or above $5 a gallon here I’m either going to have to start a GoFundMe or cut the floorboard out and power it like a car from the Flintstones.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Good idea with taking octane booster.
That depends. If you are buying octane booster from Walmart, AutoZone or the like for $3 or $4 a bottle then when they say it raises octane 5 points that means it would raise 87 to 87.5. The stuff that actually works is going to cost you $20 for a quart bottle and depending on how high you want to raise the octane you will use most of the bottle for 20 gallons of gas.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I just downloaded the getupside app to save on fuel. Mostly good reviews. The Shell station I use is on it an an offers $.26 per gallon savings. It also offers savings at a few restaurants I go to an some grocery stores.

It doesn't lower the price per gallon , you get a refund after purchasing it. I think the $.26 is a promotion an then it goes down to 12-15 cents a gallon. You can open the app prior to getting gas an check for a promotion price an if you go to the station offering the promotion you get more off. I avoid piling the apps on my phone. I only have one food joint app an it's McDonalds since I used to get 50 cents off my large coffee every morning on the way to work. I haven't used it since retiring. I'll report back after using it a while.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
I just downloaded the getupside app to save on fuel. Mostly good reviews. The Shell station I use is on it an an offers $.26 per gallon savings. It also offers savings at a few restaurants I go to an some grocery stores.

It doesn't lower the price per gallon , you get a refund after purchasing it. I think the $.26 is a promotion an then it goes down to 12-15 cents a gallon. You can open the app prior to getting gas an check for a promotion price an if you go to the station offering the promotion you get more off. I avoid piling the apps on my phone. I only have one food joint app an it's McDonalds since I used to get 50 cents off my large coffee every morning on the way to work. I haven't used it since retiring. I'll report back after using it a while.
I had heard a radio commercial for this, but wondered how they were making money.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I had heard a radio commercial for this, but wondered how they were making money.
Simple. Ad revenue in the ap. The more people that access it the more ads run the more ads run the more money they get paid. The more they get paid, the more they advertise, the more they advertise the more people join the app and bigger they get. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Yes, it’s BS. Gas just got above $5 a gallon a few weeks ago and it’s been climbing ever since. I’m thinking about a Prius power plant swap for the Ranger

Been seeing these pop up at gas stations and empty store shelves all over the place...

Biden-I-did-that-.jpeg

Last edited:

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I did a search an read a few break downs an reviews of the app before downloading it. Sounds like the places you buy from pay the app developers based on how much additional revenue/business they generate from the app directing discount seekers to their store. The app have gas stations in 40 states.

Kyp317

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
CAD Design/Automotive Prototyping
Simple. Ad revenue in the ap. The more people that access it the more ads run the more ads run the more money they get paid. The more they get paid, the more they advertise, the more they advertise the more people join the app and bigger they get. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Been seeing these pop up at gas stations and empty store shelves all over the place...

Biden-I-did-that-.jpeg

Biden-I-did-that-.jpeg
E
i just saw that sticker for the first time last night but someone had stuck it next to the diesel lol.
65566A36-714F-4E6D-99DC-04F9E8163B3B.jpeg

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
E10 (10% Ethanol, 90% gasoline) is the most common blend in the USA. From memory, the energy content of E10 (BTU/mass) is about 3% less than pure gasoline. However, the Ethanol raises the octane rating 2-3 points, which can make up, and possibly exceed, the difference in MPG. Modern engines are tuned for E10, but you'll commonly see a drop in MPG with E10 if you're driving an older vehicle without a knock sensor. I don't miss the days of carburetor and distributor tuning. The computers do it all effortlessly.
Every vehicle I've owned since my 1988 2.9L Ranger has had Closed Loop EFI and knock sensors, and every one has run noticeably better on E0 fuels, especially my current 2019 Lariat and 2020 Chrysler 300S 5.7L.

My understanding is that all gasolines come through the pipelines without ethanol and specific additives - everything is added at the terminals. Also keep in mind that 89-90 E10 was achieved by adding Ethanol to 87 grade and so on.

NC is good about regulating and testing fuel supply quality through the NC Dept. Of Agriculture. I can make one phone call (usually)and find out if a station passed or failed the important tests for contaminants, octane rating and ethanol mixture. 87, 89-90 and 93 E0 are available across the state by legislative decree - same in SC. Unfortunately, some stations have been caught trying to pass off 87-89-90E0 as 93 E0.

NC has been better at busting these scofflaws than SC for unknown reasons. There is a station in Blythewood, SC that is passing off something as 93 E0 and was charging a ridiculous $5.09 back in June. The person who answered the phone at the SC Dept. of Agriculture stated the station had passed all tests(?!?!).

Upsides:

Ethanol blended gasolines burn slightly cleaner than non ethanol blended gasolines and this is the only upside. Higher ethanol blends also work well horsepower wise for very specific high performance tunes.

Downsides:

Short shelf life - typically 3 months.
Heavily subsidized by the federal government - $3 per gallon the last time I checked.
Process to produce ethanol - highly polluting to the point it probably kills the EPA 'advantages'.
Pressure on the food supply - we will be finding out sooner rather than later.

By the way, I last paid $3.99 for 93 E0 at a state certified station less than a month ago. I'm retired and don't drive much anymore, so my fuel costs aren't critical like it is with many people here. For those forced to use ethanol blended gasolines, I highly recommend adding an 'ethanol fixer' (additive) to the tank at each refueling. Bell Ethanol Defense (Amazon), Sta Bil 360 and Lucas Ethanol Fuel Conditioner are available most anywhere, as well as other products.

10057630_lco_10576_pri_larg.jpeg

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Every vehicle I've owned since my 1988 2.9L Ranger has had Closed Loop EFI and knock sensors, and every one has run noticeably better on E0 fuels, especially my current 2019 Lariat and 2020 Chrysler 300S 5.7L.

My understanding is that all gasolines come through the pipelines without ethanol and specific additives - everything is added at the terminals. Also keep in mind that 89-90 E10 was achieved by adding Ethanol to 87 grade and so on.

NC is good about regulating and testing fuel supply quality through the NC Dept. Of Agriculture. I can make one phone call (usually)and find out if a station passed or failed the important tests for contaminants, octane rating and ethanol mixture. 87, 89-90 and 93 E0 are available across the state by legislative decree - same in SC. Unfortunately, some stations have been caught trying to pass off 87-89-90E0 as 93 E0.

NC has been better at busting these scofflaws than SC for unknown reasons. There is a station in Blythewood, SC that is passing off something as 93 E0 and was charging a ridiculous $5.09 back in June. The person who answered the phone at the SC Dept. of Agriculture stated the station had passed all tests(?!?!).

Upsides:

Ethanol blended gasolines burn slightly cleaner than non ethanol blended gasolines and this is the only upside. Higher ethanol blends also work well horsepower wise for very specific high performance tunes.

Downsides:

Short shelf life - typically 3 months.
Heavily subsidized by the federal government - $3 per gallon the last time I checked.
Process to produce ethanol - highly polluting to the point it probably kills the EPA 'advantages'.
Pressure on the food supply - we will be finding out sooner rather than later.

By the way, I last paid $3.99 for 93 E0 at a state certified station less than a month ago. I'm retired and don't drive much anymore, so my fuel costs aren't critical like it is with many people here. For those forced to use ethanol blended gasolines, I highly recommend adding an 'ethanol fixer' (additive) to the tank at each refueling. Bell Ethanol Defense (Amazon), Sta Bil 360 and Lucas Ethanol Fuel Conditioner are available most anywhere, as well as other products.

10057630_lco_10576_pri_larg.jpeg

Another downside to ethanol blended gasoline is the average +/- 30% reduction in fuel mileage compared to unblended gas.

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
Another downside to ethanol blended gasoline is the average +/- 30% reduction in fuel mileage compared to unblended gas.
That is with E85. Pump E10 is only about 3% less energy dense than ethanol free and it's usually considerably less expensive.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
True, but as the following 5yo article from Yale states, there NEVER was a good reason to blend ethanol with gasoline except MAYBE in a national emergency, maybe not even then.

https://e360.yale.edu/features/the_case_against_ethanol_bad_for_environment
Meh... It's an opinion piece, and there's a counterargument given right in the article. There's cherry picked data on both sides of the ethanol debate. Either way I couldn't care less. We currently have ethanol blends and they run just find in modern cars.

It's good to still have access to pure gas for lawn equipment and older carb engines, but otherwise there's little reason to go out of your way to run ethanol free in a modern vehicle that's driven regularly.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman

Biden-I-did-that-.jpeg
You can order them online.

Coworker got a bunch of them he sticks all over. He was a bit miffed when I called him a vandal.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
True, but as the following 5yo article from Yale states, there NEVER was a good reason to blend ethanol with gasoline except MAYBE in a national emergency, maybe not even then.

https://e360.yale.edu/features/the_case_against_ethanol_bad_for_environment
You can complain all you want, but you're beating a dead horse...the blends are pretty much all you have and nothing is going to change. If anything, more will probably be added in future years.
Be happy you have access to all the gas you want/need, and it's as cheap...yes, cheap, as it is here in the US, compared to many other countries. Canada is close to $6 per gallon, and in several European countries it's close to $8.
Sponsored

Last edited: