First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT
About a month ago, I needed to do some towing, and my tank was nearly empty. I went to a Casey's nearby and found that they had 93 octane available with 10% Ethanol, so I filled up my tank. I drove around quite a bit before I rented the trailer, and I noticed that the Ranger seemed to really love that gas. The engine was noticeably smoother and more responsive.

I needed to refill the tank while towing the trailer home, and the best I could find at the time was 91 octane. It seemed fine, too. Once that tank was empty, I went to my local Costco and saw that their 93 octane was only 40 cents more than their 87 octane, so I went with the premium again.

Once again, the Ranger drove much better on this gas. I have had many vehicles in the past that have recommended premium fuel only but seemed to run just as well on lower octane fuels, but the Ranger is the opposite; Ford does not recommend premium except for towing, but it sure runs great on the expensive stuff.

So I am now a convert. It is 93 only for me from now on!

I guess this means that I should go ahead and buy a tune, too, since I have now convinced myself that premium is worth the money. ?
Sponsored

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
When we tow our travel trailer, I always use premium 91/93. Much better response towing 7000 lbs.
Around town/local/daily drive I use mid grade 89. Never use regular...
No tune and don't plan on one.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I've been using premium since I installed my tune back in August of 2020. It runs way better on it especially here with the heat. The new Tremor will get premium right from the start. Well, after I empty the cheap free tank from the dealer.

OP
OP
NTXTremor

NTXTremor

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT
I've been using premium since I installed my tune back in August of 2020. It runs way better on it especially here with the heat. The new Tremor will get premium right from the start. Well after I empty the cheap free tank from the dealer.
Are you planning to install the same tune(s) on your new Tremor?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Are you planning to install the same tune(s) on your new Tremor?
I'm going to try the Unleashed Torquerules tune. I just bout the tuner from Doc @Doc and will most likely send my stock tune to Torrie when I pick it up. I should put around 1,400 miles on the way home so I'll load it once home.

I wasn't unhappy with the Livernois tune but everyone who's installed the Unleashed one is really happy too so why not. Plus @CO2Ranger went from a LMS tune to the Torquerules tune and said he liked it much better. Thanks for costing me more money @CO2Ranger! :curse:?

OP
OP
NTXTremor

NTXTremor

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT
I'm going to try the Unleashed Torquerules tune. I just bout the tuner from Doc @Doc and will most likely send my stock tune to Torrie when I pick it up. I should put around 1,400 miles on the way home so I'll load it once home.

I wasn't unhappy with the Livernois tune but everyone who's installed the Unleashed one is really happy too so why not. Plus @CO2Ranger went from a LMS tune to the Torquerules tune and said he liked it much better. Thanks for costing me more money @CO2Ranger! :curse:?
I can't wait to hear what you think about it.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4

You're welcome! Also, you'll thank me later.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
I've only run premium in my truck - so I can't say it runs better or not.

But I do feel elite when I pull off from a light and hear my money burning. LOL

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport

Yes, the direct comparison from one to the other will be interesting.

OP
OP
NTXTremor

NTXTremor

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT
I've only run premium in my truck - so I can't say it runs better or not.

But I do feel elite when I pull off from a light and hear my money burning. LOL
Now that I am a Premium driver, perhaps I shall roll down my window at traffic lights to ask people if they have any Grey Poupon.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Now that I am a Premium driver, perhaps I shall roll down my window at traffic lights to ask people if they have any Grey Poupon.
maybe we should get stickers made so the peasants don't speak to us . . .

perhaps we could have a forum just for us too.

where is that admin at when we need things.
Sponsored