First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
I'm going to try the Unleashed Torquerules tune. I just bout the tuner from Doc @Doc and will most likely send my stock tune to Torrie when I pick it up. I should put around 1,400 miles on the way home so I'll load it once home.

I wasn't unhappy with the Livernois tune but everyone who's installed the Unleashed one is really happy too so why not. Plus @CO2Ranger went from a LMS tune to the Torquerules tune and said he liked it much better. Thanks for costing me more money @CO2Ranger! :curse:?

Stop making me spend money.

My wife hates you BTW.
Sponsored

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4

TICKLE ZOMBIE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT 2WD Sport
I run 93 with the exception of every now and then I run a tank of Ethanol free at a station but it’s only 90 octane.

I do wonder though if brand name gas is actually what is in the tanks. I usually get Exxon since I get 12 cents off a gallon but I notice more response if I use Sheetz 93 over Exxon 93 (I should try a different Exxon).

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Mine def runs better on 89 over 87 and the mpg is slightly better so the extra cost is a wash.
Saw no difference in seat of the pants or mpg running 93 over 89.
Stock tune.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
This thread does have me curious, but I am very skeptical. I've only run 87 in my truck since getting it, and pretty consistently around 18mpg. I don't pay much attention to mpg, that is the computer number. I'm lifted, roof rack, Warn front bumper, winch, and lots of other extra weight. I have a heavy foot too. Not peeling out often or anything, but always lean into it. I mostly drive rural 80km roads, but cruising at 95-100km, and regularly right to the floor to pass people, pushing it to 120 regularly.

All of our 87 & 89 gas in Canada has ethanol, and I belive most of the 91 does now too. I've never seen 93 here. I'm going to run this tank pretty low and switch to 91 for a tank or two to compare mpg and performance. Before that I am going to do a few test runs and note speed/time, then again after the change.

Again I don't pay much attention, but IIRC I paid $1.39/L ($5.56/G) on my last fill up, and summer is coming so that should go up to $6-$6.50 soon enough. Like I said, I am very skeptical that it will make much difference in performance, or MPG, but will update when I have info. I think I'll be fueling up Tuesday.

OP
OP
NTXTremor

NTXTremor

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT
This thread does have me curious, but I am very skeptical. I've only run 87 in my truck since getting it, and pretty consistently around 18mpg. I don't pay much attention to mpg, that is the computer number. I'm lifted, roof rack, Warn front bumper, winch, and lots of other extra weight. I have a heavy foot too. Not peeling out often or anything, but always lean into it. I mostly drive rural 80km roads, but cruising at 95-100km, and regularly right to the floor to pass people, pushing it to 120 regularly.

All of our 87 & 89 gas in Canada has ethanol, and I belive most of the 91 does now too. I've never seen 93 here. I'm going to run this tank pretty low and switch to 91 for a tank or two to compare mpg and performance. Before that I am going to do a few test runs and note speed/time, then again after the change.

Again I don't pay much attention, but IIRC I paid $1.39/L ($5.56/G) on my last fill up, and summer is coming so that should go up to $6-$6.50 soon enough. Like I said, I am very skeptical that it will make much difference in performance, or MPG, but will update when I have info. I think I'll be fueling up Tuesday.
If you have a lead foot, I’m not sure how much of a difference you’ll notice. Maybe you will. Maybe you won’t.

I feel like the biggest difference is under light or moderate acceleration. Although I’m not a grandpa, my wife says I drive like one. I try to drive responsibly and smoothly, both on acceleration and braking, and the biggest difference I’ve noticed with 93 octane is just how much smoother it seems to drive. It seems to have much less hesitation and much smoother shifting, which I attribute to the engine performing better under load when it upshifts and downshifts.

Let us know what you experience.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Once you get a tune, and you can find E15 in your area, you're going to be really surprised!

In the future, if you decide to up the ante, you'll have to do a bunch more things to take advantage of the increased octane. The biggest one is upgrading the high-pressure fuel pump. That's not cheap!

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
The stickers on the pumps here say "Up to 10% ethanol". I'll run E15 88 if it's available when I get gas, it runs fine on that and same mpg as 89.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
I never saw a noticable mpg or really felt a power difference between 87 and 93 before the tune. That includes the time when i ran it empty of low octane and filled it with 93 to get ready for the 91/93 requirement. Maybe mine was just derpy and didn't notice the change.

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
About a month ago, I needed to do some towing, and my tank was nearly empty. I went to a Casey's nearby and found that they had 93 octane available with 10% Ethanol, so I filled up my tank. I drove around quite a bit before I rented the trailer, and I noticed that the Ranger seemed to really love that gas. The engine was noticeably smoother and more responsive.

I needed to refill the tank while towing the trailer home, and the best I could find at the time was 91 octane. It seemed fine, too. Once that tank was empty, I went to my local Costco and saw that their 93 octane was only 40 cents more than their 87 octane, so I went with the premium again.

Once again, the Ranger drove much better on this gas. I have had many vehicles in the past that have recommended premium fuel only but seemed to run just as well on lower octane fuels, but the Ranger is the opposite; Ford does not recommend premium except for towing, but it sure runs great on the expensive stuff.

So I am now a convert. It is 93 only for me from now on!

I guess this means that I should go ahead and buy a tune, too, since I have now convinced myself that premium is worth the money. ?
I've always put Premium in any TURBO vehicle. The risk of detonation isn't work the few bucks you save on a fill up. Sadly in the Northwest 92 octane is all we can get, no 93. In California it's 91 octane. 93 seems to be an east thing.

DranC

First Name
Drandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Healthcare Corp Analyst
I use 93 as well. I had the Ford Performance tune applied a month ago. I don't have experience with any other tune to compare, but I know this, It's a different truck now!

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I've used both, never noticed a difference. I generally only run the cheap stuff these days because why pay more for the same result?