Cost of Regular vs. Premium Fuel

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Applying actual math to a frequent discussion/argument.

These numbers are based only on the difference in cost between Regular and Premium fuel. This has nothing at all to do with the total cost. This is meant to answer the question, "how much more?"

TL;DR - The endless argument, and volumes of anecdotal data, is over an amount that is unlikely to ever exceed $500 per year.

Data sourced from United States Energy Information Administration
https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pri_gnd_dcus_nus_w.htm

National Average Retail Cost (including taxes) week of July 19, 2021

Regular
Conventional $3.061
Reformulated $3.354

Premium
Conventional $3.443
Reformulated $3.815

Cost Difference
Conventional 3.443-3.061 = $0.382
Reformulated 3.815-3.354 = $0.461

Assume 15,000 miles per year:

@25 MPG = 600 gallons
Conventional $0.382 x 600 = $229.20
Reformulated $0.461 x 600 = $276.60

@20 MPG = 750 gallons
Conventional $0.382 x 750 = $286.50
Reformulated $0.461 x 750 = $345.75

@15 MPG = 1000 gallons
Conventional $0.382 x 1000 = $382.00
Reformulated $0.461 x 1000 = $461.00

BONUS MATERIAL - Historical price difference chart between Regular and Premium gasoline

chart.png
Sponsored

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
I'm going to play the "devil's advocate" and probably get flamed here, but...
Everybody on the forum bought these trucks knowing that they got average mpg, and loaded or towing got crummy mpg.
Even in stock form, owners manual indicated that premium grade should be used, although regular can be used.
Those of you that have tunes, got them knowing that you would almost have to use premium grade fuel.
Bottom line is that if you need gas, you get gas. It's readily available across the USA, and fairly cheap compared to most of the rest of the world.
The only way to "save" is to cut back on your driving, or sell your Ranger and get a "putt putt".
I never keep track of how much is being used, or my mpg, or cost, simply because gas is a needed commodity that is necessary for day to day living.
I have a motor home, that on a good day, going down hill with the wind behind me, may get 10 mpg, but that has never stopped us from using it, driving almost 100,000 miles, and at times paying over $4.00 per gallon, and more in Canada.
And I realize that cost is different across the country...I'm paying around $3.50 for premium, while in other areas it's much more. That is just a product of where you live, and other than moving, your stuck with it.
Since joining the forum I've seen members post about dropping big $$$$$ on every conceivable mod, many which actually reduces the mpg, and yet threads keep comming up about the cost of fuel and its cost. People spend thousand's on "stuff", but moan and groan about spending a few hundred over a years time.
Thank your lucky stars that your not paying $6--$8 per gallon as in some other countries. In Canada right now, their paying almost $6 per gallon (sold by the liter), for regular grade.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I think it’s human nature to bitch about things. Since the gas wars of the 70’s this is one for alltime bitching! Put it this way, try walking everywhere and let’s see if you bitch less! After 50 miles on two feet you’ll be happy to pay 6 bucks a gallon any day.

I got to change my oil today so I don’t have to walk…

OP
OP

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The "devil's advocate" also relates the following:

Your MPG calculations are nearly worthless because:
- your miles are not actual miles
- your gallons are not actual gallons
- your gasoline doesn't contain the same amount of energy from one gallon to the next
- your test conditions are not constant, and you have not controlled for any of the above variables
- and many more...

At best, MPG calculated from driving in the real world, under varying conditions, is good for two things. First, it gives you a ballpark idea how far you can travel before needing to refuel. Second, in a general way, a significant change in MPG with no obvious explanation may indicate a problem with the truck that needs diagnosis and repair.

Last edited:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
This is an extremely location dependent calculation--around here (right now) the spread between regular and premium is more like 80 cents a gallon than 40. In other places there's only a few cents difference.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Applying actual math to a frequent discussion/argument.

These numbers are based only on the difference in cost between Regular and Premium fuel. This has nothing at all to do with the total cost. This is meant to answer the question, "how much more?"

TL;DR - The endless argument, and volumes of anecdotal data, is over an amount that is unlikely to ever exceed $500 per year.

Data sourced from United States Energy Information Administration
https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pri_gnd_dcus_nus_w.htm

National Average Retail Cost (including taxes) week of July 19, 2021

Regular
Conventional $3.061
Reformulated $3.354

Premium
Conventional $3.443
Reformulated $3.815

Cost Difference
Conventional 3.443-3.061 = $0.382
Reformulated 3.815-3.354 = $0.461

Assume 15,000 miles per year:

@25 MPG = 600 gallons
Conventional $0.382 x 600 = $229.20
Reformulated $0.461 x 600 = $276.60

@20 MPG = 750 gallons
Conventional $0.382 x 750 = $286.50
Reformulated $0.461 x 750 = $345.75

@15 MPG = 1000 gallons
Conventional $0.382 x 1000 = $382.00
Reformulated $0.461 x 1000 = $461.00

BONUS MATERIAL - Historical price difference chart between Regular and Premium gasoline

chart.png
? I use my Kroger credit card and points and the minimum off per gallon is .65 cents, I've only paid that once. I usually save anywhere from .85 cents to $1.50 a gallon, I can buy up to 35 gallons at that price so we fill both vehicles at the same time. That promo is only good for a year, so next spring if they don't offer to renew that I can look elsewhere. We earn points on all purchases with that card and we pay it off immediately so no interest. Oh and 92 octane.

OP
OP

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is an extremely location dependent calculation--around here (right now) the spread between regular and premium is more like 80 cents a gallon than 40. In other places there's only a few cents difference.
Drilling down into VA, the current state average difference between Regular and Premium is $0.71 today. Here in NH, the difference is $0.59, which seems accurate compared to my "windshield tour" of local stations.

https://gasprices.aaa.com/?state=VA

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
I wouldnt even consider running any grade below premium in a turbo regardless of any manual saying its fine. Tuning vehicles in the past that had "dumb" computers that couldmnt detect knock, you would really have to detune the crap out of the timing and the boost to prevent knock.

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
I remember when the difference between regular and premium was .20c/gal in my area. I'm not sure what happened, but it's currently .60c/gal+ more.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I wouldnt even consider running any grade below premium in a turbo regardless of any manual saying its fine. Tuning vehicles in the past that had "dumb" computers that couldmnt detect knock, you would really have to detune the crap out of the timing and the boost to prevent knock.
I read somewhere the 2.3 retards timing some 6 degrees as regular enters the system and advances up to 5 degrees with 93. Hence the power boost with higher octane gas. I'd run 93 if I could find it.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I think it’s human nature to bitch about things. Since the gas wars of the 70’s this is one for alltime bitching! Put it this way, try walking everywhere and let’s see if you bitch less! After 50 miles on two feet you’ll be happy to pay 6 bucks a gallon any day.

I got to change my oil today so I don’t have to walk…

Everyone gets hung up on price when they see a 0.40 per gallon difference and freaks out. If you actually do the math it only comes out to a few extra dollars a week using premium. Unless you're Sid @Msfitoy and drive 1,200 miles a week it's not going to break your bank account. ?

You spend $40K on a vehicle and want to cheap out a couple of bucks per week using better gas, doesn't make any sense. I mean my body can run on McDonalds food but I don't put that garbage in it.:crazy: It runs much better when I eat better so why skimp with your truck??‍♂

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I can be frugal at times (frugal, not cheap). I am fortunate enough to be able to buy premium without worrying if I would be able to pay the mortgage, so I do. Not sure if it ever pays for itself, but I don't care.

OP
OP

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another way to use this type of data is to compare the cost of fuel for different vehicles. In my case, I chose the Ranger over a 5.0 V8 F150

EPA estimate ratings, per ford.com
Ranger 4x4 - 20 city/24 hwy/22 combined
F150 V8 4x4 - 16 city/22 hwy/19 combined

Using the national average price differences in the original post

Ranger, 15000 miles on Conventional Premium Fuel
@22 MPG = 681.8 gallons @ $3.443/gal = $2347.44 annual fuel cost

F150, 15000 miles on Conventional Regular Fuel
@19 MPG = 789.5 gallons @$3.061/gal = $2416.66

So the Ranger, even with Premium fuel, has a slightly lower annual cost at the pump than the F150 that I would have chosen. Or, from the other direction, I could have fueled an F150 for only $70/year extra. There is much more than fuel consumption in the total cost of ownership, and I think the Ranger wins most comparisons for the way that I use the truck, especially the “fits in the garage” test, so I bought the Ranger.

Trucks, in general, get such abysmal gas mileage that feature and capability comparison outweigh fuel costs in most scenarios. If you really need great fuel efficiency, don’t drive a truck.
Sponsored