Compliance Recall 19C02 - Certain 2019 MY Rangers, Brake Transmission Shift Interlock Override

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew
Vehicle Showcase
NEW VEHICLE DEMONSTRATION / DELIVERY HOLD
Compliance Recall 19C02

Certain 2019 Model Year Ranger Vehicles
Brake Transmission Shift Interlock Override - Wire Routing

Affected Vehicles:

Vehicle: Ranger
Model Year: 2019
Assembly Plant: Michigan
Build Dates: June 04, 2018 through January 09, 2019

Reasons for this Compliance Recall:

Some of the affected vehicles may not conform to the requirements specified by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 114, theft protection and rollaway prevention. On some vehicles, improperly routed transmission floor shift selector wiring may interfere with the brake transmission shift interlock override plunger. This may prevent the shifter from locking in the park position allowing the shifter to move without the key in the starting system and without depressing the brake pedal. If the park brake is not applied on the vehicle, this can result in unintended vehicle movement, increasing the risk of injury or crash.

Service Action:

Before demonstrating or delivering any new in-stock vehicles involved in this recall, dealers are to inspect the brake transmission shifter interlock functionality for proper operation by attempting to move the shifter out of "park" without starting the vehicle and without pressing the brake pedal. If the vehicle can be shifted out of "park", the shifter will be inspected for wiring interference with the interlock plunger and misrouted wires will be repositioned off the plunger. This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.

Owner Notification Mailing Schedule:

Owner letters are expected to be mailed the week of February 18, 2019. Dealers should repair affected vehicles that arrive at their dealerships, whether or not the customer has received a letter.

PDF Link:
Ford_Demonstration & Delivery Hold_2019 Ranger_2019-02-04_Redacted.pdf

Ford_Demonstration & Delivery Hold_2019 Ranger_2019-02-04_Redacted.png
Sponsored

Attachments

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
From the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) official bulletin. Find out if you are affected here: https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

Feb 01,2019
Manufacturer Recall Number
19C02
NHTSA Recall Number AWAITING#

Summary
IN SOME OF THE AFFECTED VEHICLES, THE BRAKE TRANSMISSION SHIFT INTERLOCK (BTSI) OVERRIDE PLUNGER MAY BE DEPRESSED ALLOWING THE SHIFTER TO BE MOVED FROM THE PARK POSITION WITHOUT THE KEY IN THE STARTING SYSTEM AND WITHOUT DEPRESSING THE BRAKE PEDAL.

Safety Risk
IF THE PARK BRAKE IS NOT APPLIED ON A VEHICLE IN WHICH THE PRNDL BEZEL WIRING HAS DEPRESSED THE BTSI OVERRIDE PLUNGER, THE SHIFT LEVER CAN BE MOVED FROM THE PARK POSITION WITHOUT THE KEY IN THE STARTING SYSTEM AND WITHOUT DEPRESSING THE BRAKE PEDAL. THIS CAN RESULT IN UNINTENDED VEHICLE MOVEMENT, INCREASING THE RISK OF INJURY OR CRASH.

Remedy
OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL AND INSTRUCTED TO TAKE THEIR VEHICLE TO A FORD OR LINCOLN DEALER TO VERIFY PROPER SHIFTER INTERLOCK FUNCTIONALITY WITHOUT THE KEY IN THE IGNITION AND WITHOUT DEPRESSING THE BRAKE PEDAL. IF A VEHICLE FAILS EITHER INSPECTION, SHIFTER CAN BE MOVED OUT OF PARK, DEALERS WILL INSPECT FOR WIRING INTERFERENCE WITH THE INTERLOCK SWITCH PLUNGER AND RELOCATE THE WIRING AS REQUIRED. THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE FOR THIS SERVICE. CUSTOMERS SHOULD APPLY THEIR PARK BRAKE WHENEVER THE VEHICLE IS PLACED IN PARK. FORD IS EXCLUDING REIMBURSEMENT FOR COSTS BECAUSE THE ORIGINAL WARRANTY PROGRAM WOULD PROVIDE FOR A FREE REPAIR FOR THIS CONCERN. FORD WILL FORWARD A COPY OF THE NOTIFICATION LETTERS TO DEALERS TO THE AGENCY WHEN AVAILABLE.

Manufacturer's Notes
TO CHECK FOR NON-SAFETY-RELATED PROGRAMS APPLICABLE TO YOUR VEHICLE, SEE HTTP://WWW.FORD.COM/ OR CALL YOUR FORD DEALER.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
That doesn't sound too bad. Sounds like a check for wiring/cabling routing and to verify proper function of the gear shifter interlock. It doesn't seem like it should affect delivery other than an additional QC check. But maybe i'm missing something.

OP
OP
FLEngineer

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew
Vehicle Showcase
The pdf is not available even if you follow the link ice-capades posted in his post.
Seems to be working for me.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
That doesn't sound too bad. Sounds like a check for wiring/cabling routing and to verify proper function of the gear shifter interlock. It doesn't seem like it should affect delivery other than an additional QC check. But maybe i'm missing something.
I agree shouldn't be a big deal, I used to be a fleet manager and one year with over 400 vehicles ordered I had 4 recalls/checks before taking delivery of the vehicles prior to them arriving from the factory.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
You need to be a member of that forum to view. Can you download it separately and re-upload in your post?
Ah, that explains why I could not view the pdf on that forum....

Administrator

Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Here is the press release regarding this recall:

FORD MOTOR COMPANY ISSUES RECALL FOR SELECT 2019 RANGER VEHICLES TO VERIFY SHIFTER INTERLOCK FUNCTIONALITY

DEARBORN, Mich., Feb. 6, 2019 – Ford is issuing a safety compliance recall on certain 2019 Ford Ranger vehicles to verify shifter interlock functionality. In the affected vehicles, the PRNDL bezel wiring may interfere with the shifter interlock override, preventing the shifter from locking in the park position and allowing the driver to shift the transmission out of park with the vehicle off and without a foot on the brake pedal.

Ford is not aware of any accidents or injuries resulting from this condition.

This action affects approximately 3,500 Ranger vehicles in North America, including approximately 3,000 in the United States and 500 in Canada.

Affected 2019 Ranger vehicles were built at Michigan Assembly Plant, June 4, 2018 to Jan. 9, 2019.

Dealers will verify shifter interlock functionality by attempting to move the transmission shifter out of park with the vehicle off and without a foot on the brake pedal. If the shifter moves out of park, dealers will look for wiring interference, relocate the wiring and retest. The Ford reference number for this recall is 19C02.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...s-recall-for-select-2019-ranger-vehicles.html

DaPyrate

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 96, Ranger 19 and Focus 07
Is there a way I can find out what date my Ranger was built?

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a way I can find out what date my Ranger was built?
It should be in the Ford Vehicle Order Tracking site where you can put your VIN in.

You can also type your VIN in this as Rangerdanger has brought up. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) official bulletin. Find out if you are affected here: https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just got the recall notice on my FordPass.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I got the notice on FordPass too.

Related
: Am I the only person on Earth who still uses their parking brake each and every time they park?

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I got the notice on FordPass too.

Related
: Am I the only person on Earth who still uses their parking brake each and every time they park?
In SF every time. It’s the law on any street steeper than 3% grade.
Sponsored