First Name
Parker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX SuperCrew - Lightening Blue
Occupation
IT - Technical Director
I am looking for any insight on the aFe Quantum Pro Dry S vs the Roush Performance air intakes. I have found some short videos for the Roush and the metrics shown on the aFe site for the Quantum but no direct comparisons.

I already have the Flowmaster FlowFX catback and want to make sure that I am going with the best fit for my truck. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

gjkp40dwxpk41.jpg
Sponsored

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I am looking for any insight on the aFe Quantum Pro Dry S vs the Roush Performance air intakes. I have found some short videos for the Roush and the metrics shown on the aFe site for the Quantum but no direct comparisons.

I already have the Flowmaster FlowFX catback and want to make sure that I am going with the best fit for my truck. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

gjkp40dwxpk41.jpg
They are all a waste of money IMO.

VERY little gain, most likely none.

The are good for letting more particulates into your engine.

Exhaust and/or tune are far better investments.

Hell, the the price of some of those you can get a tune and see real gains in TQ/HP.

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 White Platinum
Vehicle Showcase
They are all a waste of money IMO.

VERY little gain, most likely none.

The are good for letting more particulates into your engine.

Exhaust and/or tune are far better investments.

Hell, the the price of some of those you can get a tune and see real gains in TQ/HP.
Hounddog409 is absolutely correct. A tune would prove far better results, be 50 state legal, and be covered under warranty (if installed by a ford tech). https://www.levittownfordparts.com/sku/m-9603-reb.html Of course, greater gains can be had with other mods, though I'd rather maintain my warranty, IMHO.

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Agree a tune is the better path for real performance gains.

Most CAI systems include high maintenance oiled filters, often actually increase intake temps and don't improve air flow.

The two real gains are visual appeal and audio appeal. Many like the look and the "sound of power".

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Based on some dyno investigation guys did with the SHO, the best approach was an aftermarket drop-in filter with the stock air box. This held true even for those pushing the 3.5L Ecoboost pass the 600 HP mark. Aftermarket kits actually resulted in no, or even negative, performance gains. I'm just sticking with the stock setup here.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
The Roush looks like an easy 'upgrade' but it relies on the stock intake snorkle. The Mishimoto looks more developed but yeah, either way you are getting filtering media that doesn't add to the life of the motor. Velossatech out if Hollywood Florida has been mentioned elsewhere and if they ever offer an airbox mod, I suspect it will replace the factory snorkle where it enters the stock airbox... Perhaps as a compliment to the Roush, or for those of us who will keep the stock filter setup.

13 Second Ranger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
The Roush looks like an easy 'upgrade' but it relies on the stock intake snorkle. The Mishimoto looks more developed but yeah, either way you are getting filtering media that doesn't add to the life of the motor. Velossatech out if Hollywood Florida has been mentioned elsewhere and if they ever offer an airbox mod, I suspect it will replace the factory snorkle where it enters the stock airbox... Perhaps as a compliment to the Roush, or for those of us who will keep the stock filter setup.
Velossatech is only doing a ramair piece that mounts behind the grille which directs air up into the intake tract. My truck has the prototype on it which fits amazing and once we can get the finished product on I'm sure it will be pretty quick to market. I asked him if he would do a piece replacing the factory piece that pulls air into the airbox....and he told me no as it is not in his business model. Which I completely understand sticking to one need in the aftermarket world.

deton8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2008 F150 Foose Edition, 2006 Pontiac GTO, 2004 Buell XB12S, 1995 Yamaha TW200
Vehicle Showcase
Are you allowed to show us a photo of the Velossatech ram air? I'd be interested in some type of ram air setup. I'm mostly curious if it will be similar to their other ones or more stealthy for the Ranger.

13 Second Ranger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Are you allowed to show us a photo of the Velossatech ram air? I'd be interested in some type of ram air setup. I'm mostly curious if it will be similar to their other ones or more stealthy for the Ranger.
He has asked me not to share any pic's of it yet. Should have the finished product on it within the next Two weeks.

FL.ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I agree that people are seen less gains with an aftermarket intake. However if you want one and I think you will gain noise if nothing else i would definitely go ROUSH over aFe. I think aFe for the Ranger is garbage and overpriced. Levittown Ford Parts has the cheapest prices.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Velossatech is only doing a ramair piece that mounts behind the grille which directs air up into the intake tract. My truck has the prototype on it which fits amazing and once we can get the finished product on I'm sure it will be pretty quick to market. I asked him if he would do a piece replacing the factory piece that pulls air into the airbox....and he told me no as it is not in his business model. Which I completely understand sticking to one need in the aftermarket world.
I guess this makes sense. The off-road crowd would be concerned with water encroachment so they are more likely snorkel candidates. I understand - sort of - why the Ford engineers cobbled together the stock system the way it is if you follow the 'airflow' and a more direct ram design into that tiny inlet in the box might be better for the street types. That target group would be those who dropped four bills in a Roush or the K&N customers.

I'll be sticking with standard filters, still interested in tweaking this detail.

Kevin Franklin

First Name
Tinmender1963
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FT500. Honda 700SC. 2019 Ford Ranger Sport. 2014 Ford Focus ST. 2017 Ford Escape Titanium. 1994 Ford Ranger Splash. 1986 Ford Mustang GT Splash
Occupation
Damn good question. A lot of different things
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't really matter if someone believes these add performance or if they do not, that is open for debate. Stock vehicles, maybe not, but for modified vehicles yes. I have one of these on my truck and they are engineered very well and provide greater filtering and flow capacity and that is always a plus. Regardless, they look great! If you are after increased sounds, remove the clear cover and you'll find it

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Magnetic; 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 5-Speed Emerald
Vehicle Showcase
The people who decry the CAI are usually the same ones who actively hate on the tailgate damper (true fact).

Go read Mishimoto's R&D blog (below) on their findings around the stock air intake, and make a decision for yourself thereafter.
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

And before the cynics chime in, yes I know Mishimoto has a vested interest finding ways to gain performance from an upgraded intake (so they can sell the sh*t out of it), but there is plenty of objective data in the blog to make up your own mind.

Last edited: