Anyone have the aFe cold air intake? 52-10001D

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST maybe Ranger in a couple days.
Does anyone have this air intake/lid from aFe? Part number 52-10001D is for the dry filter, oiled is an option too. Just looking for sound clips of either or? Wife wants an intake for her truck so I want one too.

I know there are other options but this is the one that interests me. Google searching results in nothing.
Sponsored

OP
OP
OxyGenIII

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just submitted a request for a video to hear what the intake sounds like. Love induction noises, not so much a blow off valve though. So thats staying stock.
Screenshot_20210823-214745_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210823-211651_Chrome.jpg

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
That AFE intake will work for induction noise if you leave the plexiglass window out of it as it will change into an open element under the hood. For a week ran an open cone under the hood for sound and temp testing. The induction air whistle can be heard in cab while in boost, however the trade off is intake air temps 40-60 deg higher than the factory airbox (even while truck is moving down the road). So you trade off 12-20% of power gain when using the open element setups in order to get cool induction sounds.

OP
OP
OxyGenIII

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That AFE intake will work for induction noise if you leave the plexiglass window out of it as it will change into an open element under the hood. For a week ran an open cone under the hood for sound and temp testing. The induction air whistle can be heard in cab while in boost, however the trade off is intake air temps 40-60 deg higher than the factory airbox (even while truck is moving down the road). So you trade off 12-20% of power gain when using the open element setups in order to get cool induction sounds.
actually, this intake does not have a plexiglass shield like the Roush intake. This one uses the factory air box to direct flow from up front to underneath the filter like the factory box, then a seal against the underside of the hood to prevent it from sucking engine bay air in from the top. No plexi.

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
actually, this intake does not have a plexiglass shield like the Roush intake. This one uses the factory air box to direct flow from up front to underneath the filter like the factory box, then a seal against the underside of the hood to prevent it from sucking engine bay air in from the top. No plexi.
Ah yes the plexiglass shield is a separate extra. Something to be aware of, even with the sealing of that top edge of the intake lid against the hood, there is zero place for cold air to be ingested with the hood closed. Engine heat rises against the hood where the opening in that air box intake lid is placed and the under hood air temps do not get anywhere near ambient temps when the truck is moving (that moving air is heating up as it moves through the radiator too). I have even removed the front and rear hood seal and have a different grill to improve airflow while moving and temps still remain 40 deg over ambient while truck is moving at 60mph. Just something to keep in mind if you are looking for more power vs more sound.

OP
OP
OxyGenIII

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ah yes the plexiglass shield is a separate extra. Something to be aware of, even with the sealing of that top edge of the intake lid against the hood, there is zero place for cold air to be ingested with the hood closed. Engine heat rises against the hood where the opening in that air box intake lid is placed and the under hood air temps do not get anywhere near ambient temps when the truck is moving (that moving air is heating up as it moves through the radiator too). I have even removed the front and rear hood seal and have a different grill to improve airflow while moving and temps still remain 40 deg over ambient while truck is moving at 60mph. Just something to keep in mind if you are looking for more power vs more sound.
Ya, I believe it'll draw enough air from the factory snorkel and airbox and the seal will work well enough I won't have to worry too much about it. I can always use my sct x4 to log intake and ambient temps and see the correlation between stock and the aFe. The other intakes like Injen and K&N for sure will just suck in hot engine bay air.
Sponsored