Check Your Fuse #71

Gil-galad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
The running lights on my travel trailer wouldn’t work as we were getting ready to head out on a multi-week trip. Troubleshooting on the trailer didn’t reveal anything so I figured it might be a blown fuse. Rather than delay our departure we decided to limit our travel to daylight hours and have the truck looked at later, since all other 7 pin functions were working correctly (stops, turn signals, brakes, aux power, etc.).

Just returned from the service department at a dealership along our route. The tech discovered that a 25 amp fuse had been installed in slot #71 at the factory, even though it is supposed to be a 30 amp fuse. He replaced the blown fuse with a correctly size one and now my lights are fully functional again.

Makes me wonder how many other incorrect fuses might be lurking…
Sponsored

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4 Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
That reminds me of when I purchased my 2019 Ranger.

The sales person was showing my wife and I the features of my new Ranger, but when he got to the Ford Pass App it would not connect. After about an hour of trying, he told us he would do some research and get back with us. We drove home and the next day, I started searching the internet for solutions. I could not find anything to lead me in a direction to resolve the issue. I opened the manual and started reading. I then started looking at the fuse boxes, and then I found the issue, the fuse was missing. I then started the Ranger and went to the nearest Auto Parts store and bought some fuses and the Ford Pass App has worked since.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
My OCD is trying to send me out to the driveway (in the cold) to check my fuses against the factory repair manual. The only thing keeping me warm, and inside, is the fact that I already know the manual has mistakes!

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
It's -20c, or -4F, I ain't going out to check that shit!

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
I up-rate all my fuses
its a prudent thing to do so that those small spikes in amperage don't leave you stranded.
While some automotive fuses will blow below what they are rating for, many will handle more for a short period.
A blown 25amp fuse is surprising when the circuit only calls for a 30amp. There are a lot of connectors between the fuse and all the lights. I’m guessing it had more to do with moisture somewhere and a less to do with the load.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I up-rate all my fuses
its a prudent thing to do so that those small spikes in amperage don't leave you stranded.
That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. Oh wait, you're joking. Whew!

Bsqrd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat FX4
Ok, so I gave in and went out to the garage and checked mine. What a PITA to get to the fuse. Dumbest design ever for a fuse box location and access. Hey Ford give me an inch more slack on the cable so I can get the box out, please. Checking the latest version of the manual online, it calls for a 25A fuse. I have a 25A fuse installed in position #71. Curious what documentation available calls for a 30A fuse?

OP
OP
Gil-galad

Gil-galad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Ok, so I gave in and went out to the garage and checked mine. What a PITA to get to the fuse. Dumbest design ever for a fuse box location and access. Hey Ford give me an inch more slack on the cable so I can get the box out, please. Checking the latest version of the manual online, it calls for a 25A fuse. I have a 25A fuse installed in position #71. Curious what documentation available calls for a 30A fuse?
That’s a great question. Now I’m even more confused.

Attaching the description portion of my work order…

7727630B-B2BF-4AC5-AABA-85759DA30143.jpeg

Bsqrd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
my owners manual calls for a 30.
so unless things have changed over time

1642302495817.png

footnote 2 refers to it being an LPJ type fuse.
Checked the following years latest owner's manuals online-
2019 - 30A
2020 - 25A
2021 - 25A

Now I'm confused. Wonder why the change or is there a TSB to be performed.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Checked the following years latest owner's manuals online-
2019 - 30A
2020 - 25A
2021 - 25A

Now I'm confused. Wonder why the change or is there a TSB to be performed.
My theory is that 2019 had errors that got corrected.
I could be wrong...

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Why in the world would you want to remove the fuse box? Just flip down the panel under the steering column and the fuse box is right there front and center. One of the easiest access fuse boxes in any of the vehicles I have owned.

Bsqrd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why in the world would you want to remove the fuse box? Just flip down the panel under the steering column and the fuse box is right there front and center. One of the easiest access fuse boxes in any of the vehicles I have owned.
Check the manual and look in the engine compartment. Not the case for this fuse.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. Oh wait, you're joking. Whew!
At least he replaced all the paperclip jumpers with fuses
devil grin.jpeg