Can someone explain to me the need for a Braking Controller?

OP
OP
RangerDangerStranger

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier SV in Tactical Green Metallic
Occupation
Cool Dude
My thought is that i want to be as far into the safe zone as possible when doing anything potentially deadly. I got the Tow package and if it weren't for this forum, i would of assumed i had a 7500# towing capacity. Think about it this way, if your headed down a long steep grade towing 6500 lbs trailer in rain and icy conditions, would you rather have your 'Expertise', or a trailer controller? Ford is doing the idiot shady thing here, to save about 75 bucks a truck with the optional tow package. they will probably get sued, and it will cost them 10's if not 100's of millions of dollars, and basically it should. If you say it tows 7500#s in the description, then bury the necessity for an optional tow controller deep into the fine print of the manual, your risking the lives of your customers that are trusting you, and if they get hurt, Ford should be punished for it. So, unless your an 'Expert' drill rig roughneck super tower, get the controller. If you have the tow package, it's an easy install, not sure if non equipped trucks have the wiring in the foot well. Also, my take is that if you install a non Ford controller, like my Redarc, go to the menus and disable 'automatic emerg braking' It's a check box option. You'll just have to keep your eyes on the road!
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
He "was" posting about pulling a 5000lb. trailer without brakes period. You played the Captain Obvious card whining that it was illegal. He mentioned the legality of 66 in a 65 and you dismissed his remark as stupid. The internet is full of "know it alls" who like to dictate their morals to the rest of us. I call them on it.
Sorry for any offense to any body, but comparing the towing of a 5000 pound trailer without brakes to going over the speed limit by one mile an hour is a rather stupid comparison, even if made in jest. Yes both are technically illegal, but the possible consequences of one are must higher than the other.
I did take some offense to your statement about towing at 80% of rated capacity as, the way you worded it, you apparently meant it as an age related comment. Two points, it is still not a good idea to tow too close to the rated capacity of your tow vehicle, and you will get old too someday, hopefully.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for any offense to any body, but comparing the towing of a 5000 pound trailer without brakes to going over the speed limit by one mile an hour is a rather stupid comparison, even if made in jest. Yes both are technically illegal, but the possible consequences of one are must higher than the other.
I did take some offense to your statement about towing at 80% of rated capacity as, the way you worded it, you apparently meant it as an age related comment. Two points, it is still not a good idea to tow too close to the rated capacity of your tow vehicle, and you will get old too someday, hopefully.
Hi Lee,

Ford tests trailer tow above the rating of what is in the owner's manual. We have to do so as someone towing at 7501 is over the rated capacity. How much over....not for public and is to some extent dictated by the Program. So towing at rated capacity is not foolish at all. We have a factor of safety in these numbers. Trying to cheat and guess what this factor is indeed foolish. Stay at or below the published parameters. Remember....the CAT scales at your local truckstop are your friend..

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hi Lee,

Ford tests trailer tow above the rating of what is in the owner's manual. We have to do so as someone towing at 7501 is over the rated capacity. How much over....not for public and is to some extent dictated by the Program. So towing at rated capacity is not foolish at all. We have a factor of safety in these numbers. Trying to cheat and guess what this factor is indeed foolish. Stay at or below the published parameters. Remember....the CAT scales at your local truckstop are your friend..

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hi Lee,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hi Phil,

Being from a design engineering career I totally understand that published ratings have a safety factor built in to them. And for obvious reasons those factors are proprietary. If they were known they would be pushed.

That being said I was a little offended at what I felt was an age related comment and should have worded my response a little more carefully. In my defense I did not say that towing at rated weight was foolish. What I said was towing a 5,000 pound trailer without brakes was stupid as well as illegal. I stand by that statement. I will admit I should have preceded my statement, about towing above 80% of rating being not a good idea, with it is my opinion. People with sufficient towing experience should have no trouble towing up to the rating.

I have repeated many times you quote on CAT scales being your friend. I have to admit seeing what some people are towing with their Rangers scares me a little. Especially when they appear to be novices to towing.

I probably need to sign off for the night before I get myself in anymore trouble. Goodnight all.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
the blue trailer brake pin....is only used when you install a controller.
not all trailers have electric brakes, not all trailers will use the pin for that. its along for the ride if not
if your trailer is heavy enough, get a controller. its that simple. its also in your best interest if you want to make it to the campground unscathed.

Ford dropped the ball on a factory installed controller. My F150 had one, it was nice because that was plug and play.
but just like other items, it was left off the build list for cost savings.
i'll personally buy a beer for the first guy who claims the trifecta of warranty claims, by getting a dealership to install a brake controller, two missing tie downs and a tailgate damper all for free.
Tailgate damper? Really?

OP
OP
RangerDangerStranger

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cool Dude
As far as the claim of Ford skimping on safe towing equipment a few posts up... The requirement for trailer brakes (not necessarily a controller) over XXXXlbs (or whatever) is a legal requirement and is documented both in the local laws and the Ford documentation with the truck. Ignorance of the requirements is not an excuse for being unsafe or illegal.
Why does Ford list the Tow package this way:

Trailer Tow Package

$495 S4
Add

Available on XL, XLT and LARIAT.

Towing Capability up to 7,500 lbs.

Includes:
• 4-pin/7-pin Wiring Harness
• Class IV Trailer Hitch Receiver

But makes no mention of adding a required Trailer brake controller. While you seem very well versed in trailering requirements I was not. I, reasonably in my mind, assumed that buying the tow package meant i could tow 7500lbs. you might say, well your naive for thinking this, but there it is in nice big pretty print, right on there site, with no disclaimer- " requires optional trailer brake controller- a dealer installed option*" - "Yes sir- ford says i can tow up to 7500lbs, i got the Tow Package, go ahead and hook that 5000# trailer up, no problem" no warning stickers, a nice 7 pin connector right there, and the Braking control pin there under the dash with a Air connection. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Last edited:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Why does Ford list the Tow package this way:

Trailer Tow Package

$495 S4
Add

Available on XL, XLT and LARIAT.

Towing Capability up to 7,500 lbs.

Includes:
• 4-pin/7-pin Wiring Harness
• Class IV Trailer Hitch Receiver

But makes no mention of adding a required Trailer brake controller. While you seem very well versed in trailering requirements I was not. I, reasonably in my mind, assumed that buying the tow package meant i could tow 7500lbs. you might say, well your naive for thinking this, but there it is in nice big pretty print, right on there site, with no disclaimer- " requires optional trailer brake controller- a dealer installed option*" - "Yes sir- ford says i can tow up to 7500lbs, i got the Tow Package, go ahead and hook that 5000# trailer up, no problem" no warning stickers, a nice 7 pin connector right there, and the Braking control pin there under the dash with a Air connection. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
Just having a brake controller won't help if you have no idea that you need one and don't know that you need to calibrate and test it with the trailer. The manual is important here, and the trailer probably also spells out what's required. And, as always when some blowhard starts insisting that ford not integrating an EBC is a safety or liability issue for ford, no EBC is required in the truck when using a trailer with surge brakes or with various other mechanisms that don't control the brakes using the controller wire under the dash. It's really up to you to figure out what your trailer needs and make sure that you've configured it properly. If you can't/won't do that we'd all be happier and safer if you didn't tow a trailer.

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
Just throwing it out there I did say I would tow a 5000# trailer in remote areas like where I live where traffic is nonexistent. The brakes on today’s trucks are mighty impressive compared to 30, 40 years ago. I wouldn’t want to tow a 5000# trailer in LA traffic without trailer brakes. Come to think of it though I bet the Ranger could stop faster with a 5000# trailer and no brakes than a 18 wheeler.. hmm..

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I agree with @RangerDangerStranger that Ford should have had a footnote on the 7500 pound claim. Something like "with additional trailer brake controller if required". Oh, wait they didn't have one at that time.

As @VAMike said not all trailers that have/require brakes need a brake controller in the tow vehicle. Some have surge brakes, some have controllers built into the trailer. There are also controllers that plug in between the tow vehicle and the trailer, not my preference.

The requirement for trailer brakes varies from state to state but it is I believe it's around 3000 pounds. Some commercially built trailers lighter than that will have them, probably to make them 50 state legal. The take away is YOU need to know your trailer. If it has brakes, how they work and if you need a controller to operate them. Ford doesn't know or care what you are towing.

Whether you your trailer needs to be registered/licensed is a whole different subject that varies by state.

Reactions: DHH

Byngsboys

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lightening Blue Ranger XLT, 302A, FX4, Tow and Technology/ 2005 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Educator
Vehicle Showcase
Good morning gentlemen:
I ask the OP, do you feel your questions have been address and is there any other information we can help you with?
IMO safety recommendation have usually been earned the hard way and we should learn from them.
Take care.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RangerDangerStranger

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cool Dude
Just having a brake controller won't help if you have no idea that you need one and don't know that you need to calibrate and test it with the trailer. The manual is important here, and the trailer probably also spells out what's required. And, as always when some blowhard starts insisting that ford not integrating an EBC is a safety or liability issue for ford, no EBC is required in the truck when using a trailer with surge brakes or with various other mechanisms that don't control the brakes using the controller wire under the dash. It's really up to you to figure out what your trailer needs and make sure that you've configured it properly. If you can't/won't do that we'd all be happier and safer if you didn't tow a trailer.
I'm not a blow hard. thank you. I also don't agree with you about the liability issue, but niether of us are lawyers. My point is not that people ought to know how to tow a trailer, it's that a small percentage won't, and Ford's marketing of the Tow package creates a false belief. I could list how great i am, but, really, who cares? I stand by my point, have a good one.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Good morning gentlemen:
I ask the OP, do you feel your questions have been address and is there any other information we can help you with?
IMO safety recommendation have usually be earned the hard way and we should learn from them.
Take care.
Valid comment! I too hope the OP got his question answered. These threads take on i life of there own and after the first couple pages take turns far from the OPs original need/intent. Seems to be a common occurrence during this COVID time. Can be interesting and fun til they turn into arguments. I'll admit to being as guilty as the max guy in that.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I saw hundreds of rigs like this every day in Cambodia.
f75b27b5ce6cf1de0e6ad3f0f171cb55.jpg
Lol. That reminds me of when I was in India. Multiple times I saw 4 & 5 people families on a motorcyle! Dad driving, 2 small kids on the gas tank, mom behind holding the baby. It was crazy!
If you say it tows 7500#s in the description, then bury the necessity for an optional tow controller deep into the fine print of the manual, your risking the lives of your customers that are trusting you, and if they get hurt, Ford should be punished for it.
With all due respect, and in Ford's defence, a controller is not a requirement to tow 7500lbs. How the trailer is equipped determines if you need a controller or not. I have been towing for over 40yrs and I've never needed a controller. That is because my trailers have all had surge brakes.
It is not Ford's responsibility to educate you on towing. No more than it is there responsibility to educate you on how to drive.
Ford tests trailer tow above the rating of what is in the owner's manual.
...towing at rated capacity is not foolish at all.
Thank you Phil. I always roll my eyes when I hear "I'd never pull at rated capacity with that..."
This is usually said by the same people that prefer carbs over fuel injection because, "If I break down, I can fix a carb". :rolleyes:
My point is not that people ought to know how to tow a trailer, it's that a small percentage won't, and Ford's marketing of the Tow package creates a false belief.
See my response above. I understand being new to trailering. We all were at some point. People are here to help, but you are repeatedly trying to blame Ford for your lack of knowledge. Ford equips the truck to be able to tow 7500lbs. If you buy a trailer that needs a controller, then that is more of a requirement of the trailer manufacturer to let you know, than Ford.
I for one, don't feel like I should have to pay for a controller when I don't need one. IMO it shouldn't be included in the tow package, But I believe it should be an option from Ford

OP
OP
RangerDangerStranger

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cool Dude
See my response above. I understand being new to trailering. We all were at some point. People are here to help, but you are repeatedly trying to blame Ford for your lack of knowledge. Ford equips the truck to be able to tow 7500lbs. If you buy a trailer that needs a controller, then that is more of a requirement of the trailer manufacturer to let you know, than Ford.
I for one, don't feel like I should have to pay for a controller when I don't need one. IMO it shouldn't be included in the tow package, But I believe it should be an option from Ford
I appreciate the help. I might occasionally tow maybe a rented trencher, or maybe in the future, one of those cool bullet style campers : ). But what really irks me, is that Ford doesn't put at least a safety card or sticker on thier 7pin receptacle and the controller wire is just left unterminated. It's irresponsible. I understand if most people don't agree. what about the Lady, that's hooking up the trailer in the snow, with her kids. you know what i'm saying?

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I appreciate the help. I might occasionally tow maybe a rented trencher, or maybe in the future, one of those cool bullet style campers : ). But what really irks me, is that Ford doesn't put at least a safety card or sticker on thier 7pin receptacle and the controller wire is just left unterminated. It's irresponsible. I understand if most people don't agree. what about the Lady, that's hooking up the trailer in the snow, with her kids. you know what i'm saying?
Although I understand your thinking on this, I do have to disagree. The tow package does tow 7500lbs as-is, but not for all types of trailers, so I see your point of view. However, I still don't believe Ford needs to install a warning sticker.
Towing is something that requires education, just as driving does. If that Lady wants to hook up a 7000lb trailer with no towing education, I don't believe Ford needs to be responsible for her stupidity. If she has educated herself on towing, she will then know what type of brakes are on her trailer and whether she needs a controller or not. People have to be responsible for their own education/actions and not look for someone else to blame.

An example is; I had been towing (my boat) for many years and had a new trailer built. The wheels on the new trailer now stuck out more (on each side) than my old trailer and was now slightly wider than my 88 Ford Ranger. First trip I took with it, I clipped the rear bumper of a car in a parking lot because I forgot the trailer was wider.
Who should be at fault here?
1) Me for not educating myself on the characteristics of the new trailer?
2) The trailer manufacturer for not educating me, or putting a warning sticker on the trailer?
3) Ford for not putting a warning sticker about the hazards of towing a wide trailer?

I chose #1. Although I had just scrapped the paint on the bumper and the car was a beater, I tracked down the owner of the car to let her know what I did. She didn't care, and didn't want any compensation. Regardless, I went to a nearby restaurant and bought her gift card, because she was nice about it and I was in the wrong.
Sponsored

Last edited: