Can someone explain to me the need for a Braking Controller?

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier SV in Tactical Green Metallic
Occupation
Cool Dude
So, i don't get what the limitations are. Manual says around 1800lbs without an electical brakes on the trailer. Can you just plug the 7 pin cable into the truck from the trailer and the trailer brakes will work? Or do you need to change something?
Sponsored

Deleted member 1634

So, i don't get what the limitations are. Manual says around 1800lbs without an electical brakes on the trailer. Can you just plug the 7 pin cable into the truck from the trailer and the trailer brakes will work? Or do you need to change something?
You can do that on a trailer with a built in controller. Our camper has a controller built into the wiring onboard. That way any vehicle can tow it (that is able) and the brakes will work and be controlled. There is a fob that goes with it to keep in the cabin of the tow vehicle, but it's not required for the system to work. That being said, most trailers DON'T have a controller built in, so don't assume that they do. We ordered ours specifically with it built in.

Noseoil

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger / 2013 Honda Civic / Red Rocket mini bike (zoom!)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Typically, the tow vehicle needs to have a brake controller to regulate the trailer brakes. It's a unit which provides a signal to the trailer brakes & "tells" them when to apply brakes for stopping, slowing or going down hills.

My teardrop trailer has the control module inside the tongue box, so it's set up to work independently of the tow vehicle. The trailer has its own power supply (solar panel & group 27 deep cycle battery), so braking is always ready once it's plugged into the truck. During stops, it feels like a passenger car, it's neutral in handling & braking. Much better this way.

Towing a trailer which weighs over 1500# without brakes is illegal in some states, plus it's just too risky if you need to go into a panic stop mode in traffic, rain or at high speeds. The trailer will "push" the back of the tow vehicle & it's pretty easy to lose control & begin a skid which will have bad consequences. The trailer can whip the back end of the truck around & at that point, there's just no way to control things. You basically become a passenger without any real control of the situation.

OP
OP
RangerDangerStranger

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cool Dude
So, what does the 7 pin connector on the back of the truck include? I think I saw one pin labeled brakes? When a controller is installed is it wired to this?

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
So, what does the 7 pin connector on the back of the truck include? I think I saw one pin labeled brakes? When a controller is installed is it wired to this?
Just to be clear the ranger does not come with a trailer break control, even with the tow package. (Thank you Ford) It is a dealer add-on. This has been discussed in depth in numerous threads on this forum.

OP
OP
RangerDangerStranger

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cool Dude
Just to be clear the ranger does not come with a trailer break control, even with the tow package. (Thank you Ford) It is a dealer add-on. This has been discussed in depth in numerous threads on this forum.
Ok, so what is the existing 7 pin connector for? Do most 7 pins connectors on trucks have a brake controller? Are some of the pins then just not connected to anything? What is the best controller to use?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Ok, so what is the existing 7 pin connector for? Do most 7 pins connectors on trucks have a brake controller? Are some of the pins then just not connected to anything?
The brake pin on the 7 pin connector leads to a wire under the dashboard that can be connected to a brake controller. Configurations which have electric brakes but do not use an in-truck controller typically draw power from the aux pin. In all cases, whether the brake controller is in the truck or external to the truck, the purpose of the brake controller is to modulate the amount of power being sent to the trailer brakes. You don't want the trailer brakes to come on full power every time you stop or you'll skid the wheels. The amount of power needed depends on how many brakes, what kind of brakes, how much weight is in the trailer, etc., and the brake controller basically lets you adjust when and how much electricity goes to the trailer brakes when you hit the pedal.

Nick Barber

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat, FX4, White Platinum, Chrome, Tow
Occupation
Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
RangerDangerStranger

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cool Dude
Ok, now I understand, pin 7 is currently connected to nothing at the dash, awaiting my walket to open at the dealer. Add the ignition suround to the list on what happenedtoits. Still love the truck. Thank you for the information.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Ok, now I understand, pin 7 is currently connected to nothing at the dash, awaiting my walket to open at the dealer. Add the ignition suround to the list on what happenedtoits. Still love the truck. Thank you for the information.

For clarity, the 7 pin still has the charging circuit, brakes, and blinkers attached to it, and "will:" work for trailers that have their own braking mechanisms like "surge" brakes.

Tons of us have installed our own controllers prior to Ford's announcement that we're basically going to die in a horrible accident when/if AEB kicks in, but that's a whole different story.

I've towed thousands of miles with a Prodigy P3 hooked to the four wires under the dash without incident.

OP
OP
RangerDangerStranger

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cool Dude
For clarity, the 7 pin still has the charging circuit, brakes, and blinkers attached to it, and "will:" work for trailers that have their own braking mechanisms like "surge" brakes.

Tons of us have installed our own controllers prior to Ford's announcement that we're basically going to die in a horrible accident when/if AEB kicks in, but that's a whole different story.

I've towed thousands of miles with a Prodigy P3 hooked to the four wires under the dash without incident.
You are towing a trailer with out a controller? Just using the factory supplied hook ups?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
You are towing a trailer with out a controller? Just using the factory supplied hook ups?
No, I have a teknosha prodigy p3, hooked to the factory supplied wires under the dash.

I do tow a small trailer without brakes that uses the 4 pin connector though.

OP
OP
RangerDangerStranger

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cool Dude
No, I have a teknosha prodigy p3, hooked to the factory supplied wires under the dash.

I do tow a small trailer without brakes that uses the 4 pin connector though.
what wires of from the 7 pin are laying there unterminated under the dash? I'm gonna add a controller at this point, Your info is appreciated. Thanks,, Chris.
Sponsored