Can someone explain to me the need for a Braking Controller?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Go read the brake controller thread...

Ford says it's not safe to just hook to the factory supplied brake controller wires under the dash. They are power, Ground, brake to the rear, and brake signal. What they are lacking is a constant brake signal when the Active Emergency Braking is engaged. That said, they are there from the factory, and are working for lots of people.
Sponsored

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
Not to resurrect an old thread but realistically if you know what you are doing you can easily tow around 5000 pounds without trailer brakes.

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
Oh man, you're really asking for the towing police on here to come after you now. haha
Haha ya I guess so lol I mean I worked at a Well Drilling company and we would tow 15-20,000 pound trailers with no brakes and a 1 ton truck. I would not recommend that but it actually wasn’t bad. The legal action that could happen in an accident would be not good though lol

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
I don't disagree. With the right experience and common sense, you can do a lot of things well outside the bounds of what the Man considers safe. I've never towed that much, but have towed over the trailer brake limit with 3/4 tons at my previous work as well, and everything went fine.

I just know that there are those that live by the letter of the law/rules with even a personal safety factor on top of that, and they're not going to like you saying that. haha
Ya totally lol the problem is stupid people.. like the guy that bought our 23’ travel trailer and towed it home with a trail blazer. He acted like he knew everything about towing but it took him 30 minutes with the help of a friend and eventually me to hook up the trailer lol

0501505C-A398-4176-B539-54B78507A49C.jpeg

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
You can to 5000# with anything (probably even a motorcycle) on flat straight not wet or icy ground.

EDIT: I should add that towing a #5000 block of concrete, and towing a #5000 travel trailer is worlds different. I'd still only do it with a brake controller attached unless I was only going a short distance and knew what conditions I'd be driving through. Towing #5000 with a Ranger and towing #5000 with an F350 Crew Cab is also something completely different.

Last edited:

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Not to resurrect an old thread but realistically if you know what you are doing you can easily tow around 5000 pounds without trailer brakes.

That's the key
I agree you can....but the danger is that it's only safe if you are the only person on the road, or you are blessed with the ability to foresee others actions. What happens if someone unexpectedly pulls out in front of you and you have to slam on the brakes? Good luck trying to stop in a reasonable distance.

And I know this is a late response to the OP, but a controller is not needed if your trailer has surge brakes. I legally tow 6000lbs regularly with surge brakes. As others have said, a controller is only for electric brakes (or electric over hydraulic brakes).

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
The fact that you did something foolish and beat the odds doesn't make the thing that you did any less foolish. I saw hundreds of rigs like this every day in Cambodia. More than a few were in piles of cargo and bleeding people surrounded by gawkers with no idea how to aid the injured.

f75b27b5ce6cf1de0e6ad3f0f171cb55.jpg

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
the blue trailer brake pin....is only used when you install a controller.
not all trailers have electric brakes, not all trailers will use the pin for that. its along for the ride if not
if your trailer is heavy enough, get a controller. its that simple. its also in your best interest if you want to make it to the campground unscathed.

Ford dropped the ball on a factory installed controller. My F150 had one, it was nice because that was plug and play.
but just like other items, it was left off the build list for cost savings.
i'll personally buy a beer for the first guy who claims the trifecta of warranty claims, by getting a dealership to install a brake controller, two missing tie downs and a tailgate damper all for free.
Have them put decent shocks on while you're on a roll.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Not legally you can't.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Legally you can’t drive 66 in a 65 too lol
The stupidity of that comparison is only exceeded by the stupidity and recklessness of towing a 5000 pound trailer without brakes.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab

The stupidity of that comparison is only exceeded by the stupidity and recklessness of towing a 5000 pound trailer without brakes.
Let me guess. You only pull 80% of your listed towing capacity because that's how they did it in '65.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Let me guess. You only pull 80% of your listed towing capacity because that's how they did it in '65.
We are not talking about rated tow capacity here. He are talking about the legal SAFETY requirement for having brakes on a trailer.

From looking at your posting stats your probably some left coast troll that doesn't even have a ranger!

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
We are not talking about rated tow capacity here. He are talking about the legal SAFETY requirement for having brakes on a trailer.

From looking at your posting stats your probably some left coast troll that doesn't even have a ranger!
He "was" posting about pulling a 5000lb. trailer without brakes period. You played the Captain Obvious card whining that it was illegal. He mentioned the legality of 66 in a 65 and you dismissed his remark as stupid. The internet is full of "know it alls" who like to dictate their morals to the rest of us. I call them on it.
Sponsored