Need Thread Info for Bolts to the Bumper

TruckNoob

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Ranger Super Cab 4x4; 2016 Outback
Was installing a Draw-Tite hitch, and everything was going peachy, for 3 out of the 4 mounting bolts. I noticed that when removing the bolt it was slow and sticky, and now the bolt will only go in about a 1/4 to a 1/3 of the way back in. I tried the bolt in the other holes, and it works, and I tried a different bolt in the problem hole, and it won't work; so I concluded that the threads in the hole were cross-threaded/damaged.

So I know the bolt head is 21mm, and the internet tells me that it typically goes with a 14mm bolt; but the bolt has a taper to it, and the bottom measures 14mm, but the top of the bolt appears to measure (using a digital caliper) 15mm. I've purchased a fairly expensive tap and die set which gives me access to a 14mm tap and a 16mm tap, but no 15mm tap.

Anybody have to go through this mess before? Or have any experience with these bolts? I'm going to use the 14mm tap and hope for the best. This was supposed to be such an easy job.
Sponsored

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
first see if the threads on the bolt and the tap line up then see where it takes you

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
You really want a thread chaser more so than a tap. A tap will cut new threads if it doesn't start properly. A thread chaser will just clean and repair existing threads. A tap might remove too much material and weaken the threads. Not something you want when it's going to be holding on a trailer hitch. If a tap and die set is all you've got, just gingerly start the tap and make sure it starts straight. If the damaged thread is somewhere in the middle you should be OK.

OP
OP

TruckNoob

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys. I would love to find a thread chaser / restorer over a thread tap; but apparently this bolt which is 15mm and tapers to 14mm at the end is Ford's special brew. If the bolt were damaged but the hole was fine, I'd just order the bolt and be happy; but unfortunately I am completely and royally screwed (no pun intended). While the head of the bolt is 21mm, the bolt is definitely bigger than 14mm (that particular tap just slides into the hole without touching the sides; the 16mm tap is clearly too large; and the thread pitch or coarseness is also a huge consideration. I returned the ridiculously expensive tap set that I purchased, since the "goldilocks" problem of too small and too big with no "just right" option in that set made it worthless. And after a few hours of perusing the internet for a 15mm metric thread chaser (which doesn't appear to exist), I'm now going to gamble and buy a 15mm 1.5 pitch tap, which will take approximately 2 weeks to arrive.

I told my wife this wouldn't be a big deal; you remove 4 bolts, push the hitch into place, replace the bolts and you're good to go. I did a similar maneuver on a Subaru Outback, which required removing the bumper and most of the rear fascia pieces, and that was a piece of cake compared to this. Oh well, if anyone has any ideas, please feel free to post them. I'll definitely follow up here, so if some poor sap experiences this in the future, perhaps they can take some solace that another unlucky sot exists somewhere in the world.

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unretired
if everything else fails- use a cut off wheel to put a small groove along the bolt. that will clean the threads in the hole as you drive the bolt in while giving a space for the crap to go. again last ditch effort. it won't weaken the connection too much and you also have 3 more bolts that were over engineered to begin with.... last ditch effort. nothing left to loose/ just want it done.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Thanks guys. I would love to find a thread chaser / restorer over a thread tap; but apparently this bolt which is 15mm and tapers to 14mm at the end is Ford's special brew. If the bolt were damaged but the hole was fine, I'd just order the bolt and be happy; but unfortunately I am completely and royally screwed (no pun intended). While the head of the bolt is 21mm, the bolt is definitely bigger than 14mm (that particular tap just slides into the hole without touching the sides; the 16mm tap is clearly too large; and the thread pitch or coarseness is also a huge consideration. I returned the ridiculously expensive tap set that I purchased, since the "goldilocks" problem of too small and too big with no "just right" option in that set made it worthless. And after a few hours of perusing the internet for a 15mm metric thread chaser (which doesn't appear to exist), I'm now going to gamble and buy a 15mm 1.5 pitch tap, which will take approximately 2 weeks to arrive.

I told my wife this wouldn't be a big deal; you remove 4 bolts, push the hitch into place, replace the bolts and you're good to go. I did a similar maneuver on a Subaru Outback, which required removing the bumper and most of the rear fascia pieces, and that was a piece of cake compared to this. Oh well, if anyone has any ideas, please feel free to post them. I'll definitely follow up here, so if some poor sap experiences this in the future, perhaps they can take some solace that another unlucky sot exists somewhere in the world.
Who returns tools that didn't do the job?

Put it in your toolbox for the eventual need.

Now you'll be waiting another 2 weeks next time you need a tap.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unretired

that's why I can't park in the garage

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
that's why I can't park in the garage
Exactly.

A lot of my tools were inherited from the old man. About 3% of those I have no idea what they do or how to use them. But I damn sure ain't getting rid of them, and not for sentimental reasons.

Luckily my general laziness keeps me from acquiring so many that I need a second garage. ;)

OP
OP

TruckNoob

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Truthfully, I am usually THAT guy -- I've got tools for projects that never came to fruition, but I'm usually glad I have them for something further down the road. This project has been VERY frustrating, I was certain that this was one of those economical DIY things that even a non-mechanical guy like me could do....and I'm still going to press on. The thing about a tap and die set is that I haven't used one in the 40+ years I've been using tools, which is why I'm fairly freaked about fixing this situation; and since I told the lady of the house that this was going to be a relatively low-cost endeavor: "I don't need to have someone put a hitch on.....I can do THIS". So the tap-and-die set went back; but I don't deny that I may well be re-buying the dang thing at some point in the future.

OP
OP

TruckNoob

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
if everything else fails- use a cut off wheel to put a small groove along the bolt. that will clean the threads in the hole as you drive the bolt in while giving a space for the crap to go. again last ditch effort. it won't weaken the connection too much and you also have 3 more bolts that were over engineered to begin with.... last ditch effort. nothing left to loose/ just want it done.
I'm hoping for a slightly better ending to this....I've got a M16 with a thread pitch of 2 (counted the TPI and converted to pitch) tap coming. So we'll see. I'll be back with a full report. That said, I really appreciate you helping me with these ideas!

Last edited:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Truthfully, I am usually THAT guy -- I've got tools for projects that never came to fruition, but I'm usually glad I have them for something further down the road. This project has been VERY frustrating, I was certain that this was one of those economical DIY things that even a non-mechanical guy like me could do....and I'm still going to press on. The thing about a tap and die set is that I haven't used one in the 40+ years I've been using tools, which is why I'm fairly freaked about fixing this situation; and since I told the lady of the house that this was going to be a relatively low-cost endeavor: "I don't need to have someone put a hitch on.....I can do THIS". So the tap-and-die set went back; but I don't deny that I may well be re-buying the dang thing at some point in the future.
I'm hoping to a slightly better ending to this....I've got a M16 with a thread pitch of 2 (counted the TPI and converted to pitch) tap coming. So we'll see. I'll be back with a full report.
I get that. Mechanical frustration is difficult.

Remind your old lady that even the simplest of tasks can present problems at times. And that you, being a smart guy, will overcome this slight hurdle.

OP
OP

TruckNoob

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay -- let me say a VERY heartfelt and sincere THANK YOU to the folks on this thread!!! The M16 Thread tap came in (Thread Pitch 2) and....it....WORKED! It was scary (at least for me) and several pieces of small metal dropped out of the hole, but the bolt went in after the hole was threaded (seemed more like a reaming/cleaning than a re-threading) and the hitch is on!!! I will return to this thread before long with some pictures and details on the tools and process used. Hopefully my story will help some else -- although I hope no one else has to go through this.

Thanks again, you guys ROCK....seriously, I am truly a noob to both truck and Ranger ownership, so I am really glad to have found this forum.

Best,
Fred

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Okay -- let me say a VERY heartfelt and sincere THANK YOU to the folks on this thread!!! The M16 Thread tap came in (Thread Pitch 2) and....it....WORKED! It was scary (at least for me) and several pieces of small metal dropped out of the hole, but the bolt went in after the hole was threaded (seemed more like a reaming/cleaning than a re-threading) and the hitch is on!!! I will return to this thread before long with some pictures and details on the tools and process used. Hopefully my story will help some else -- although I hope no one else has to go through this.

Thanks again, you guys ROCK....seriously, I am truly a noob to both truck and Ranger ownership, so I am really glad to have found this forum.

Best,
Fred
Fred, glad you were able to solve the problem and get your hitch mounted.

Just a question, since you didn't mention it. Did you use blue thread locker on the bolts and torque them to the proper spec? Always a good idea when installing a hitch or messing with the bumper.
Sponsored