can anyone recommend a bay area / Stockton dealer that can install the ford oem controller?

EastSide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
I bought the controller, scheduled two hours at the dealership for the install.

20 minutes dealer calls me up, says it might take them 6 hours, they've never done it before. I'm in a pretty serious bind because I'm supposed to pick up a heavy trailer in Stockton mid week and bring it back. Dealership quoted me $700, minimum, to install.

I've got the controller with me in a box.

Edit, got it all sorted out!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
NC National Guard

20 minutes dealer calls me up, says it might take them 6 hours, they've never done it before. I'm in a pretty serious bind because I'm supposed to pick up a heavy trailer in Stockton mid week and bring it back. Dealership quoted me $700, minimum, to install.

Can't recommend anyone, but I had my dealer in NC install it. It took about 2 hours and it was around $100. Granted, they didn't know what they where getting into, but $700 is highway robbery.

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier SV in Tactical Green Metallic
Occupation
Cool Dude
it was pretty easy to install these. mount the unit with 2 screws and splice 4 wires. drill a hole and install the knob. the dealers is over quoting.

Last edited:

oggvorbis

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase

I own a place at Snowcreek V and my family will be there next weekend. If you don't get it done before then, I don't mind doing it for you while we're there. I created the original install thread last year.

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cool Dude
you could try 4wheel parts and use a redarc unit. same as the ford one. they should have them in stock. common unit. see the thread here in towing ascto the install. has pics. i'm assuming ypur truck is equiped with the tow package from the factory?

Robanno

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger
The one (Redarc) controller is not 4 wires!
Not so easy since you need to tie into the 3rd brake light, which means removing trim and partial headliner removal.
I had mine installed at Bill Brandt Ford in Brentwood, (norcal). 2hrs labor, works great. Was about 360$. Give them a call.
Thanks Rob

Robanno

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger
That should be the oem controller supplied by Redarc
Rob

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cool Dude
The one (Redarc) controller is not 4 wires!
Not so easy since you need to tie into the 3rd brake light, which means removing trim and partial headliner removal.
I had mine installed at Bill Brandt Ford in Brentwood, (norcal). 2hrs labor, works great. Was about 360$. Give them a call.
Thanks Rob
Funny, the Redarc i installed last month was 4 wires to splice. then a Cat5 to the knob. You don't need to splice the 3rd brake light, there are Brake signal, Power in, Gnd and and Control Out there in the drivers kick panel, They are there for a controller, wires insulated, waiting for a controller. Ask the guy that created the install thread. What i used to install mine, thank you very much.

Bill Brant, did they have a Sabre FX2 on the lot? I drove to LA to get the one i own now, I had a special order from them. It was equipped good for the price!

Last edited:

Robanno

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger
There are two Redarc controllers, the 4 wire which is a simple install which you seem to have. A "FORD approved" which has two, I'll call them brains, that ties into the 3rd brake light so that the emergency braking function works. More time consuming to install, not necessarily more complicated. Did not want to have putting anything other than an "approved" controller in so Ford would have no recourse.
Your call as to which one, I chose the dealer one
Thanks Rob

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cool Dude
There are two Redarc controllers, the 4 wire which is a simple install which you seem to have. A "FORD approved" which has two, I'll call them brains, that ties into the 3rd brake light so that the emergency braking function works. More time consuming to install, not necessarily more complicated. Did not want to have putting anything other than an "approved" controller in so Ford would have no recourse.
Your call as to which one, I chose the dealer one
Thanks Rob
Got it, was not aware. Would be pretty easy to splice from the 3rd light to the brake sense input with some diodes. think i'll do that. thank you.

Robanno

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger
Sir
I'm not really versed on how to do it but make sure you research how you plan on doing it. Remember the "FORD approved" has 2 brains, not sure what they call them, whereas Redarc's "off the shelf" only has 1.
Thanks Rob
Sponsored