Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Interesting theory.

I have the same bump on stopping start, but like others here mine is more pronounced the warmer it is. Under 50-60 degrees F and the bump is usually gone. Hot summer days of 90-100 degrees have the bump the most pronounced. I don't understand how your suspension theory plays into the heat or cold affecting it? That's why I think it is the spline joint, with some expansion or contraction due to ambient temperature. I guess it's possible the same with this suspension, with regards to temperature?

I've had 250 or more pounds in the bed and it doesn't matter. In my case that's a rack, rooftop tent, cooler and a couple plastic bins of camping equipment. It didn't make a difference.

One thing that will be interesting for me, and I will post my observations here, is when I start towing in the warmer weather. So far my towing has all been in winter, near freezing temperatures. When I start towing at 60-70° and above this spring, it'll be interesting to see if I have the bump or not with the trailer.

If it is the leaf springs, I wonder if upgrading them to either the Tremor pack, or other aftermarket options, would fix things?
I believe this issue is the slip joint needing better lubrication. See this thread.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/how-to-lubricate-your-driveshaft-slip-joint.16648/

Mine does this and it disappears in cooler weather as well. When the temps get higher I will be taking it back to the dealer as I am not going to do it myself. They blew me off the first time, but that was when the truck was new. I was hoping it would improve over time.
Sponsored

Reactions: EJH

JoeyG60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Interesting theory.

I have the same bump on stopping start, but like others here mine is more pronounced the warmer it is. Under 50-60 degrees F and the bump is usually gone. Hot summer days of 90-100 degrees have the bump the most pronounced. I don't understand how your suspension theory plays into the heat or cold affecting it? That's why I think it is the spline joint, with some expansion or contraction due to ambient temperature. I guess it's possible the same with this suspension, with regards to temperature?

I've had 250 or more pounds in the bed and it doesn't matter. In my case that's a rack, rooftop tent, cooler and a couple plastic bins of camping equipment. It didn't make a difference.

One thing that will be interesting for me, and I will post my observations here, is when I start towing in the warmer weather. So far my towing has all been in winter, near freezing temperatures. When I start towing at 60-70° and above this spring, it'll be interesting to see if I have the bump or not with the trailer.

If it is the leaf springs, I wonder if upgrading them to either the Tremor pack, or other aftermarket options, would fix things?
Thanks

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
This thread title should be prefaced by the word, SOLVED. If describing the issue accurately, this is the slip joint on the driveshaft lacking proper lubrication. You'll find many posts on the forums about lubing the splines. Try that since it's very easy to accomplish. I still have a new one-time-use tube of the Ford Teflon grease if anyone wants it. Free to a good home.

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
This thread title should be prefaced by the word, SOLVED. If describing the issue accurately, this is the slip joint on the driveshaft lacking proper lubrication. You'll find many posts on the forums about lubing the splines. Try that since it's very easy to accomplish. I still have a new one-time-use tube of the Ford Teflon grease if anyone wants it. Free to a good home.
Ha, I also have a only used once tube of the Teflon grease, it's from when I had my F150, so many Ford trucks have had this problem. I worked at Ford dealers from 82-01 it used to be easy to fix, then Ford stopped putting a zirk on the slip yoke, after that it was pull the shaft and lube it ONLY with the Motorcraft PTFE teflon grease, there was always a truck in for that, especially in the 90's.
My Ranger does it as well, so I have to eventually do something about it.

Last edited:

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Ha, I also have a only used once tube of the Teflon grease, it's from when I had my F150, so many Ford trucks have had this problem. I worked at Ford dealers from 82-01 it used to be easy to fix, then Ford stopped putting a zirk on the slip yoke, after that it was pull the shaft and lube it ONLY with the Motorcraft PTFE teflon grease, there was always a truck in for that, especially in the 90's.
My Ranger does it as well, so I have to eventually do something about it.
Finally got my Ranger in for oil change and a second attempt with the dealer to address this issue. This time they acknowledged it but had to order the boot kit. Of course, backordered for 2-3 weeks.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
Amazing they have to order the boot kit. I did the slip yoke on my own and used two heavy duty zip ties to secure the boot. Works great. Dealer told me "couldn't replicate described problem". I would have been done with this truck but it seems like all the brands have the same crap service.

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
I think a lot of why the dealer tech's don't try harder to find warranty problems is warranty just does not pay well, in the 90's when Jack was running Ford he promised the stockholders a certain return, he achieved it by cutting the warranty times. (amongst other things)
A great example was trans overhaul on a 4x4 diesel, it went from 19-20 hours down to like 11-12, the tech's were crying, we were always doing a repair review with Ford to improve the times, most of the time it did get increased, but that process was a pain.
I know that was a really long time ago, but I doubt it's changed much, I had the tires balanced under warranty last week and it only paid .5 of an hour, the tech had to be losing money on that, find the truck in the lot, rack the truck, pull all 4 wheels, knock out the center caps, spin up, strip the old weights, clean to attach new weights, re-spin, adjust if needed and remount wheels, park it back in the lot and go flag it, he must have made minimum wage on the job.

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Finally got my Ranger in for oil change and a second attempt with the dealer to address this issue. This time they acknowledged it but had to order the boot kit. Of course, backordered for 2-3 weeks.
Boot kit arrived and was able to get the Ranger back to the dealer for this job. All good now!
Sponsored