Poll- rangers with the clunk/thump on acceleration from a stop and when coming to a stop

Do you have the clunk/thump when moving from a stop or coming to a stop as the vehicle settles?

• Total voters

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
i am looking to see if the tremors are immune from this issue.

respond with your year and trim and if you have this thump or not.

thanks!
Sponsored

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
2019 XLT Sport 2WD.
I have it.

Reactions: EJH

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
Would the existence of the slip joint on the tremor not predicate that the tremors also have the potential for the slip-bump? That is unless the supplier is now lubricating the joint a different way as we know that the tremor driveshaft is at least a little different (CV joint at pinion). The other thing I can think of is the tremor has a different leaf setup which may reduce the amount of axle wrap compared to the non-tremor? I do not believe they are inherently immune.

Either way, I think you can just take the joint apart, lubricate it, and the problem goes away. Research on the forum seems to suggest several members doing that and there is even a TSB for the f150 for the same issue.

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
If fewer or no tremors have the issue compared to the non-tremors then that means what ever differs between them matters. I see posts of people changing the rear shocks which helps the ride and possibly eliminates this thunk issue. My thought is that all slip joints probably will do it but the tremors mask it more for some reason. Shocks? Leafs?

BOB RAD

First Name
BEBO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD RANGER
The only clunk I notice, is when I forget to turn off auto stop.
YES---That’s the one that is driving me crazy. If it worked maybe I could understand it but when I come to a stoplight the engine turns off and then it starts again with a JERK maybe a full minute or more before the light changes back to green. I do turn it off when I remember which is seldom.

NO CLUNK from anywhere else in my non tremor 2 wheel drive ranger.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
If fewer or no tremors have the issue compared to the non-tremors then that means what ever differs between them matters. …..
5G Rangers out since 2019. Tremors are fairly new. Not gonna be many tremor votes cast and would be harder to agree with your statement.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
2021 FX4 with Fox rear shocks. I have the clunk, worse when hot, nonexistent when cool enough. Weight in the bed does not affect it (from nonr to 500+ lbs, no change). The temperature is the only variable that affects whether I have the clunk on stop.

I asked the dealer about it during the first oil change. They said they could not reproduce it, which was likely true as they only did a cool weather short drive.

If lubing the slip joint really fixes it, I may pay an independent shop to do that. I'd do it myself, but no access to a lift.

This is my worst complaint about my Ranger. I do not have other shudders or vibrations.

Dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4
2021 FX4 with Fox rear shocks. I have the clunk, worse when hot, nonexistent when cool enough. Weight in the bed does not affect it (from nonr to 500+ lbs, no change). The temperature is the only variable that affects whether I have the clunk on stop.

I asked the dealer about it during the first oil change. They said they could not reproduce it, which was likely true as they only did a cool weather short drive.

If lubing the slip joint really fixes it, I may pay an independent shop to do that. I'd do it myself, but no access to a lift.

This is my worst complaint about my Ranger. I do not have other shudders or vibrations.
Exact same situation for me. Next time I take it to the dealer Im going to ask them to lube the slip yoke. Hopefully they'll do it.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Exact same situation for me. Next time I take it to the dealer Im going to ask them to lube the slip yoke. Hopefully they'll do it.
You are in FL though, so if this gets worse with heat, your' will also be clunking. I am getting to the weather soonin Oregon where it won't be an issue for me until May again. Good luck getting your dealer to do it. Mine would not. I may find an independent truck shop that is familar with this issue on F-150s and have them lube it. I am fine paying an hour's labor or whatever.

I really like this truck. If I could resolve this, I'd probably love the truck.

towpro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Lariet F150
I have a noise that sounds like there is something rolling back and forth just about every time I accelerate and hit the brakes?
I had the extra alarm installed before pickup and was waiting for it to get cool enough I can pull the lower dash panel to see if that was mounted well.

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
so i had my truck tsb'ed with the vibe from a stop fix- ubolt shims in rear. that took 50% of the thunk away. i still have the vibes but it is super minor- barely can tell it's there. Also, it's vibing more up front/middle than in the seat now. so the thunk, at least in my case, is somehow related to the vibes from a stop. in my case, both worsen the warmer things are either by driving for a while or from the outside temp or a combination of both. i am waiting on the dealer to call me back once the materials come in to lube my shaft. it takes a new clamp and the right lube........
Sponsored