First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
CAD Design/Automotive Prototyping
I still think mine is slip yoke related somehow ?, even feel it in the brakes sometimes ... hopefully, I can get them to do the driveshaft lube tsb ...
It’s sounds same as mine & mine was diagnosed as the slip yoke. Now why they are ordering , twice now , a new drift shaft instead of just greasing the yoke ?‍♂.

Ford dealer said that’s what Fords procedure is because they don’t sell some rubber boot on its own. Others on here say that’s incorrect. I just want it fixed lol.
Sponsored

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
It’s sounds same as mine & mine was diagnosed as the slip yoke. Now why they are ordering , twice now , a new drift shaft instead of just greasing the yoke ?‍♂.

Ford dealer said that’s what Fords procedure is because they don’t sell some rubber boot on its own. Others on here say that’s incorrect. I just want it fixed lol.
There is a TSB with the part # for a boot and 2 clamps, I tried to get dealer to order so they would have it when I got there but the parts dept# said that part couldn't be ordered without a work order, not true most likely but I gave up ...

OP
OP

Kyp317

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
There is a TSB with the part # for a boot and 2 clamps, I tried to get dealer to order so they would have it when I got there but the parts dept# said that part couldn't be ordered without a work order, not true most likely but I gave up ...
I saw others have trouble with telling them there is a boot repair kit/part so I didn’t even try lol. If they want to replace the drive shaft that’s fine with me, it’s under warranty. If I don’t hear back from them by Tuesday I’ll call em & see if they figured out ordering the correct drive shaft this time lol.

My guess is first time they ordered a drive shaft & didn’t realize it was the one for the Non-Tremor Ranger. I had issues my self ordering mudd flaps. “Fits your vehicle” only to learn the extra flare out on the tremor is different.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
I Don't think so , the "big clunk" is usually after the rpms are down and I'm braking and coasting , I assume its 2nd down to 1st when it clunks , but could be splines binding and releasing , or maybe both ?, it's no dealbreaker by anymeans, just annoying...
bring up your gear display and watch it when it downshifts.
you'll see if its during the gear change down

(sorry, thats a weird quote, dont know whats going on with that)
[/QUOTE]
I have and sometimes it's, ehhh... i can't tell really ...
I messed up the quote thingy somehow , backspaced to far ...

OP
OP

Kyp317

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If it helps anyone when I did try to explain it to the dealer I used the “feels like I’m lightly bummed from behind” at stop go & said it reminded me of having a gallon of washer fluid rolling around the trunk of car BUT that The location or bump didn’t actually feel like it was back in the rear end.

They were more suspicious it was a center bearing I think because they see that in Rangers & have never seen a slip yoke problem on a ranger. It o my took the driveline tech like 20-30 minutes to come back & say yeah it’s the slip yoke.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
I still think mine is slip yoke related somehow ?, even feel it in the brakes sometimes ... hopefully, I can get them to do the driveshaft lube tsb ...

I do feel mine in the brake sometimes too.

OP
OP

Kyp317

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It’s obviously doesn’t affect the performance of the vehicle. The window sticker on the Ranger with tremor says 19/19 & I’m getting just over 24mpg.

Can someone explain what would happen if you just ignored this & keep driving for years. What does it do to the slip yoke, what happens ?

I want it fixed because it drives me insane lol.

OP
OP

Kyp317

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I do feel mine in the brake sometimes too.
Same. When they asked where does it feel like it’s coming from I said so where between the brakes to the seat & over to the shifter location. A square zone around that area.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
It’s obviously doesn’t affect the performance of the vehicle. The window sticker on the Ranger with tremor says 19/19 & I’m getting just over 24mpg.

Can someone explain what would happen if you just ignored this & keep driving for years. What does it do to the slip yoke, what happens ?

I want it fixed because it drives me insane lol.
This is what I’ve wondered. It’s minimal enough for me now that I don’t care much and will deal with it later. Also bought extended warranty from Granger.

I might mention to dealer or try greasing myself if my back will cooperate.

OP
OP

Kyp317

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This is what I’ve wondered. It’s minimal enough for me now that I don’t care much and will deal with it later. Also bought extended warranty from Granger.

I might mention to dealer or try greasing myself if my back will cooperate.
I know myself good enough that if I tried to take it apart & grease it myself that ranger will never run again lol. Plus cost associated with that factory bumper to bumper are factored into the vehicle so we deserve to have it fixed.

I too have the extended Ford warranty so I’m not in a made rush before 3/36000 is up, I drive about 27k a year. At least we this we can keep driving & even in the extreme case of replacing the driveshaft they said it only takes about a hour. If they order the right one ?
Sponsored