Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Hi All!

I had another thread going for an electrical issue on my 2019 XLT FX4 that was resolved, so I figured I would start a new thread for documentation purposes regarding another issue I am facing.

My truck has developed a thud or thump that feels like its coming from the rear end of the truck when coming to a stop and accelerating from a stop. I originally took it in and they cleared the trans learning and it didn't help at all. When the truck rocks back as its weight shifts when it is coming to a stop, there is a thump when it settles. Also, when pulling away from a stop, as I accelerate, there is a thump.

I brought the truck in for a second time a couple of days ago and asked them to check the slip yoke/slip splines/driveshaft support bearing as many forum members had suggested. The service advisor called me back yesterday and said "the drive line is fine, you actually have a blown right rear shock". So they are replacing the rear shock, and I should have the truck back today or tomorrow. It seems odd that a blown shock would cause a thumping, but I hope that it clears the issue up!

I will keep everyone posted on if the new shock solves the issue. If it doesn't, I may bring the truck into another dealer and ask them to check the slip splines/slip yoke and grease it. Either that, or I will check it myself, I have heard it is simple.
Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
It's the slip yoke behind the center bearing binding up when you come to a stop and start driving. This is a well known issue on the F150's. Take it in to have the dealer lubricate it. You can do it yourself but it would sometimes require replacing the boot and clamp. Or unbolt the shaft from the rear axle and slide the yoke off the splines and apply grease to the splines on both the shaft and yoke.

OP
OP
fortywater12

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
That’s what I
It's the slip yoke behind the center bearing binding up when you come to a stop and start driving. This is a well known issue on the F150's. Take it in to have the dealer lubricate it. You can do it yourself but it would sometimes require replacing the boot and clamp. Or unbolt the shaft from the rear axle and slide the yoke off the splines and apply grease to the splines on both the shaft and yoke.
That is what I am thinking too, so I am a bit concerned they said everything is fine. I will probably have another dealer grease the slip yoke if I get it back and it still clunks, which I expect it will.

OP
OP
fortywater12

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Got the truck back with the new shock and it's still clunking - no surprise.

I leave for a 10 day roadtrip on Friday and am not confident I can get it in to have the slip yoke lubed before then, so I will address it when I return.

OP
OP
fortywater12

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Well, back for my roadtrip and finally got the truck back in.

Talked to the service writer in detail this morning and asked specifically for them to grease the slip yoke with Ford Motorcraft Teflon grease. He said he was well aware of the issues with F150 driveshafts having the same issue and said they would look into it.

I pressed a bit more and said I would at least like them to try the grease and he said he will let the tech know. He said he was hesitant because he didn't want it to be a temporary fix with the grease and I am back in the shop in another 3-4k miles, which I understood and appreciated.

We settled that the tech was going to inspect the center support bearing and the splines/yoke. Hopefully this means a grease clean-out and re-lube with teflon grease at a minimum.

ArizonaRangers

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 4D and 2023 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Engineer
Same thing happening to me. Took it to the dealer. They did the grease with a new boot. Works fine now, probably will last for the time remaining on warranty.

LB357

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lightning Blue Ranger
I've noticed this on my truck as well, sounds like it's worth taking a stab at myself. Glad I found your post!

OP
OP
fortywater12

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Same thing happening to me. Took it to the dealer. They did the grease with a new boot. Works fine now, probably will last for the time remaining on warranty.
my service advisor tried to tell me they couldn’t lube the yoke because it was a “sealed unit”. I know for a fact this is not the case. We will see what they say when I get it back next. I have already called another dealer and asked them to do it and they said they would.

I've noticed this on my truck as well, sounds like it's worth taking a stab at myself. Glad I found your post!
Hope it helps! That’s why I made it and update so frequently, I hope it will help more to come down the road!

OP
OP
fortywater12

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Hi guys, I need some help here. Are we sure that all rangers have the slip yoke design in regards to the driveshaft? My dealer is saying the truck doesn’t have one, or that it is not serviceable due to the one piece design. I need some help because I feel like I’m insane here.

I’ve read some people here have had them serviced but all the dealers in my area are saying it’s not possible…

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I am pretty sure I have this on my '21 Ranger (currently at 8,300 miles). Mine seems to be worse when it is hot outside. When cooler (lower than 80s or so), It does not seem to do it. My clunk is not violent, but noticeable enough to annoy me.

I had the dealer look at in a few weeks ago, when I did the first oil change. No surprise they didn’t lube anything, just gave the truck back. I may find another dealer to take a look. I am not sure this is something I want to try to lube myself.

OP
OP
fortywater12

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I am pretty sure I have this on my '21 Ranger (currently at 8,300 miles). Mine seems to be worse when it is hot outside. When cooler (lower than 80s or so), It does not seem to do it. My clunk is not violent, but noticeable enough to annoy me.

I had the dealer look at in a few weeks ago, when I did the first oil change. No surprise they didn’t lube anything, just gave the truck back. I may find another dealer to take a look. I am not sure this is something I want to try to lube myself.
My clunk is not violent either, just very very annoying as the driver, and it does not feel like a characteristic of the truck.

Mine does not happen when the truck is cold either, only when it’s been driving for 20 mins and up to full operating temp, or when it’s really hot outside like you had mentioned.

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
Anyone happen to have the part number for that grease kit from Ford?

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Hi guys, I need some help here. Are we sure that all rangers have the slip yoke design in regards to the driveshaft? My dealer is saying the truck doesn’t have one, or that it is not serviceable due to the one piece design. I need some help because I feel like I’m insane here.

I’ve read some people here have had them serviced but all the dealers in my area are saying it’s not possible…
Yes, all Rangers have a two piece rear drive shaft with a center bearing and a slip yolk. If you’re handy it is something you can do yourself. Just have to cut the crimp clamp on the boot to remove it and grease. Will need a new clamp band and crimper.

Or take it to the dealer and tell them what I just referenced. It is a known problem and I think there is a service bulletin on it already.

There is another thread on here with some pictures and some details of what’s involved.

OP
OP
fortywater12

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Yes, all Rangers have a two piece rear drive shaft with a center bearing and a slip yolk. If you’re handy it is something you can do yourself. Just have to cut the crimp clamp on the boot to remove it and grease. Will need a new clamp band and crimper.

Or take it to the dealer and tell them what I just referenced. It is a known problem and I think there is a service bulletin on it already.

There is another thread on here with some pictures and some details of what’s involved.
I just got under the truck and saw the boot and band clamps that go into the front side of the transfer case.

I’m weary about doing this on my own because I don’t want to void my warranty. Looks like I get to beg another dealer to do it.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

I have a feeling those dealer techs are taking one look at those crimped boots, throwing their hands up and saying “sealed unit” or ”unserviceable“.
Sponsored