First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
Thanks for the tip on the screwdriver thing. The boot kit from Ford is on backorder so I haven't even attempted this for fear I will have to use a zip-tie which would get flagged somehow on an inspection. Now I just have to make friends with these Atlanta roaches while I get under my truck.. lol
Sponsored

machinist85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Were you able to do this without lifting the truck? I may go the DIY route also. Thanks.
You'll need to jack up at least one rear wheel and put the transmission in neutral to be able to turn the drive shaft. I used a flat prybar slid into the center u-joint so I could break the bolts loose. Or you could get up and put it in park after rotating the drive shaft each time.

Reactions: EJH

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I noticed a clunk or thump after driving a few hundred miles but it was never very often. In the past few weeks I've noticed it more... about 2500 miles so far. Yesterday I was coming to a stop and I felt a big thump... didn't really hear it, but I felt it. Looked behind me for someone who might have hit me, but no one close. Definitely a thump. Checked the bumper when I got home and no damage of course.

Guess I will ask my mechanic to look at it when I get the first oil change.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I noticed a clunk or thump after driving a few hundred miles but it was never very often. In the past few weeks I've noticed it more... about 2500 miles so far. Yesterday I was coming to a stop and I felt a big thump... didn't really hear it, but I felt it. Looked behind me for someone who might have hit me, but no one close. Definitely a thump. Checked the bumper when I got home and no damage of course.

Guess I will ask my mechanic to look at it when I get the first oil change.
Tried to have mine addressed and the techs at the dealership weren't having it. Said it was "acceptable driveline play" and "they all do that".

I can't keep chasing these things forever.

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
This is the first new Ford I have owned and the service department at my dealership was completely useless for a different issue. Distressing to hear how widespread the ineptitude seems to be?!

OP
OP
fortywater12

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Just an update on this - I finally got a local dealer to grease my slip yoke. The tech said it was completely dry and there was no lube from the factory. They lubed it and it was great for about a week or so, no clunk at all.

Now, after driving for a month, the clunk has seemed to come back a bit, but is MUCH better than it was before.

I am not sure if they used the right type of grease, I think they used lithium grease instead of the teflon grease Ford Motorcraft makes. I still might get a kit and re-do it on my own.

It is only a matter of time until a TSB is made on this issue in my opinion.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
Curious if this is a DIY thing WITHOUT taking everything apart? @P. A. Schilke any input on this? I think I remember a post about this, but not sure.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Curious if this is a DIY thing WITHOUT taking everything apart? @P. A. Schilke any input on this? I think I remember a post about this, but not sure.
HI Tom,

I would try this myself as a DYI but I would use a Molly grease, not Lithium grease which does not hold up in my opinion. Just make sure to clamp the boot securely with another Ford band clamp or a very narrow tangential screw clamp so as to not affect balance. Damn Dana quality at it again in my opinion.... I have had much success with Dana, and so much disappointment too... Things seem to have not changed...some things Dana does are very good and some are abysmal.

Best,
Phil

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
HI Tom,

I would try this myself as a DYI but I would use a Molly grease, not Lithium grease which does not hold up in my opinion. Just make sure to clamp the boot securely with another Ford band clamp or a very narrow tangential screw clamp so as to not affect balance. Damn Dana quality at it again in my opinion.... I have had much success with Dana, and so much disappointment too... Things seem to have not changed...some things Dana does are very good and some are abysmal.

Best,
Phil
Thanks Phil. I don't know about replacing the clamp, so not sure this is a DIY for me. I will research if it's something I can do. Thanks for the info.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Today, I heard a crackling sound every time I hit a bump...it was clear and coming from somewhere lower left of me...I started to panic after miles...then I realize it was my half empty water bottle in the door... perfect truck restored... ?

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
I stopped trying to fix it. Meh. Maybe eventually. There's a specific PTFE lube Ford makes for that joint.

I think service centers sucking is widespread. I was looking at reviews for a bunch of dealerships and it seemed like most people were thrilled with the buying part but a lot of negative reviews on service. Go figure.

My dealership just put 5w20 in my truck and lied to me about filling up the tires to factory spec. Hell they probably didn't even perform the balance service I paid for. Needless to say, I ripped their ass in the survey since it wasn't the first time they've effed up on my end.
Sponsored