BDUb

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL 4x4, Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
I have this same issue on mine I figured it was the transmission not being able to figure out what it needs to do and then finally shifts but really late like right before stopping and right before taking off. Mine will be at the dealer next Monday for 4 issues. They all seamed to just add up and I want them taken care of. I will try to remember to take pics of this one, just above the upper corners of the windshield there are inserts separate of the track running the full length of the cab the finish on those has pealed off. A/C has an intolerable burning smell, rough idle and hard shifting upon start up, plus what is mentioned at the beginning of my post. I understand the mechanical items as its a first year product but whoever decided on the cheesy finish of the parts above the window should have their ideas revoked lol. I'm not sure if this finish is only on the lower models...once again Ill try to remember to post a pic of that later.
Sponsored

2020FX4

First Name
El Jefe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Lost19

Have the dealer check the slip splines on the driveshaft for proper lube. Some folks here on the Forums have found this made it much better. Also check the center bearing on the driveline for tightness or being bound up. Loosen the center bearing retaining bolts...bounce the vehicle up and down a few times and tighten to spec.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

I have not had this issue with my Ranger so far, but I did with my F150. The dealer lubed the splines and it fixed the issue. It never came back.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
i thought i was just going nuts by myself. turns out there are others going nuts too. makes me feel better I'm not alone in the nut house

2000rpm

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger, 2019 Ford Flex
Are you sure you're not just feeling gas slosh in the tank? I've noticed this also. Seems to not be there on a full tank to me.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Are you sure you're not just feeling gas slosh in the tank? I've noticed this also. Seems to not be there on a full tank to me.
^This

SpaceRanger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
So, I've been a bit busy lately but I have a minor update to this - also posting to bump this thread.

I took my truck to the dealership for this issue about 3 weeks ago. They said that they of course couldn't replicate my exact issue but "noticed" that the transmission was shifting hard between 1st and 2nd gears so they updated the ECU. Weird, because I noticed this at the beginning of the year and had a different dealership update said ECU (the dealership I bought it from - I have since switched to a closer dealership). Well, I picked up my truck and I immediately called them one mile down the road because the issue was definitely still there. They said to drive it around for the weekend to let the transmission re-learn EVEN THOUGH this definitely wasn't the cause of the issue. Well, that was 3 weeks ago, and if it weren't for my wife having heart surgery, it would've been back at the dealership two and half weeks ago. Now, I have another appointment on Friday and I'm going to, yet again, push to have them lube the slip splines like @P. A. Schilke suggested. So let's see how this goes - again.

Welp, I'll update you guys once I get the truck back. Anybody else have any luck?

canigetadollar?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Fun Haver
I feel a bump/clunk when slowly accelerating from a stop. Going to mention Phil’s advice when I take it in for service. Hopefully they can fix the whistling sound above 45mph too...

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Here is the info to which I referred on the first page. It's an old TSB but outlines the same problem. Hope it helps someone.

Attachments

Kawffin

First Name
Marlow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Cultivation technician II
Vehicle Showcase
Here is the info to which I referred on the first page. It's an old TSB but outlines the same problem. Hope it helps someone.
This is exactly what we need

bloosh

First Name
Braelin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Hi Lost19

Have the dealer check the slip splines on the driveshaft for proper lube. Some folks here on the Forums have found this made it much better. Also check the center bearing on the driveline for tightness or being bound up. Loosen the center bearing retaining bolts...bounce the vehicle up and down a few times and tighten to spec.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Is this something that would be easy to DIY? It's kind of a pain to schedule things with my dealer since I'm always driving out of state for work.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Is this something that would be easy to DIY? It's kind of a pain to schedule things with my dealer since I'm always driving out of state for work.
Hi Braelin,

not difficult, but not for my old creaky bones. I might suggest standing on your rear step bumper and bouncing the tar out of the truck. See if this helps Otherwise, Take it to the dealer or purchase the proper clamps for reassembly. I really suggest letting the dealer do this. You are not hurting anything so delay to a time when you can deliver to the dealer for this procedure.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

cory1848

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Sport
Occupation
Sports Photographer
Any updates to this? Adding this to the list of issues with my ranger. Brought it in this morning and pointing out that TSB for the older rangers and they determined it was rear axle related and ordered a rear axle kit. Not convinced that is it but we shall see. Really feels like driveshaft wind up and release. I could feel the bump right when I come to a stop and sometimes of acceleration. Also when at highway speeds if I let off the gas then quickly get back on it there is a very noticeable bump, like slamming into gear, I can't reproduce that every time though. For the low speed thump, I can reproduce it every time if I drop it out of drive to neutral and coast to a stop, apply brakes and right at about 5mph, thump. Would something relating to the rear axle cause this?

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Not sure if it applies to the Ranger but the 3rd gen Tacomas were experiencing this same issue (among quite a few others) and it was leaf spring U-bolts not tightened correctly from the factory.

It was allowing the axle to slightly shift around on the leafs when torque was applied.
Sponsored