Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Bug shields for F150 and other vehicles are way more attractive than the one's offered for Ranger...I had an AVS for a while and took it off because never could get used it's looks and it also didn't fit well requiring slamming the hood to close...
Sponsored

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
Mine works with big bugs. They slide right up and over the truck without crushing. The small bugs get moved up from the front of the hood to eye level on the windshield where they smush and schmear.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
They deflect bugs. Away from the PAINT. Glass can be cleaned. Bugs on the paint makes permanent marks, at least some do. They have these hordes of soft-bodied black bugs they call "love bugs" down here, especially in Central Florida. As for why the name, read about them here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovebug

When they are in season, they can literally make it impossible to see through the windshield in about 10 minutes of driving. They are very soft and "juicy" so even hitting them at 30 mph squishes them and smears a blob of yellow guts on whatever they hit. There are some sort of acids or enzymes in their little bodies that begin etching paint within an hour or so. If you don't clean them off before they dry, they literally make pits and gouges in your paint. Bug deflectors are made of plastic, so they are immune to the acid.
Pro tip on cleaning bug guts and road grit:
Wash truck as normal, scrub the windshield with a soft cloth and Bon-Ami Cleanser.
You MUST use Bon-Ami so as not to scratch the glass.
Rinse and dry truck.
Apply two coats of Rain-X.
This works on headlights too.

BS67

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Eye Tech, 2A supporter, USMC "Doc" '89-'95
I've used a 50/50 mix of hydrogen peroxide and water. Those bugs just bubble right up and wipe away with a soft cloth.

NoTacos

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RangerXLT CrewCab 4x4
I only got one to protect the leading edge of the truck. I probably could have just put paint film there is guess. It is a pain only when trying to clean behind it well when I wash my truck. As far as bugs not sure how well it works but I am pretty sure it’s been good to deflect road gravel from scratching up my hood. Not worried about glass replacement - insurance in BC doesn’t go up if you do a windshield claim.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I installed mine mostly to save the front edge of my hood from rock chips. Does it also help deflect bugs? Hard to say without any actual controlled testing. I just finished a 2000 mile road trip, and there were plenty of bugs on the windshield... but NO rock chips on the front of my hood.
For you and all tbe rest of the "protect the paint" folks. What about the rest of the paint on the front of the truck?

Maybe contact LeBra?

s-l400.jpg

Those things will scratch the crap out of your windshield. You ever see how dirty that water is? Hasn’t been changed in months.
Maybe at the places you frequent. But around here they're plenty clean enough. Also, windshields are a wear item.
In my neighbourhood, they stopped putting these out at the pump islands. The homeless squeegee guys steal them. :facepalm:
If I were you I'd strongly consider relocating. Don't you have a lake house? Time to retire!

WhiteRangerDanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Bug shields for F150 and other vehicles are way more attractive than the one's offered for Ranger...I had an AVS for a while and took it off because never could get used it's looks and it also didn't fit well requiring slamming the hood to close...
I think it makes the Ranger looks more aggressive with the bug deflectors (AVS). I also drove it to and from Vegas last months and they're were plenty of bugs cheers ? ?
20220805_125406.jpg

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
I think it makes the Ranger looks more aggressive with the bug deflectors (AVS). I also drove it to and from Vegas last months and they're were plenty of bugs cheers ? ?
20220805_125406.jpg
I have one of these, too. Still not loving the looks too much, but I'm thinking of getting creative with a file and a heat gun.

Considering cutting a notch to the center to mirror the lines of the center groove between the dual raised areas on the hood. It's a really nice looking style point, and the bug shield totally obscures it by blocking the view of the leading edges of the bumps.

I'm imagining a notch that mirrors the contour of the leading edge lines, and using the heat gun to soften the plastic and add the wind-deflecting flip back again. I'm at the "measure twice" part of the planning, though.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
For you and all tbe rest of the "protect the paint" folks. What about the rest of the paint on the front of the truck?
I installed paint protection film (ppf) on all forward-facing surfaces - the bumper, grill, rear-view mirrors, top of the cab, etc:

OP
OP
JDowns

JDowns

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
They sure were horrible on my recent trip and back to Leavenworth WA.
There was a section between Missoula and Dillon on the way to Idaho Falls that I swore I heard trumpets. It was right around dusk and the amount of grasshoppers was biblical.

On my way back up next year I plan on staying in the area for a few days and camp up in the Anaconda Pintler Wilderness area.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Those things will scratch the crap out of your windshield. You ever see how dirty that water is? Hasn’t been changed in months.
While I am sure there are exceptions, I personally have never scratched my windshield with these. I don't use them if the water is really low, that's where the dirt can be. I dunk the sponge part in the top of the water a couple of times to help rinse off dirt. I just wish Sam's Club would provide them.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I installed paint protection film (ppf) on all forward-facing surfaces - the bumper, grill, rear-view mirrors, top of the cab, etc:
Whatever floats your boat. At least you're consistent in your protection.

Personally not a fan of that stuff Looks like the crappy clear bras circa 2000s to me.

For me, it's a truck. It ain't even broke in till it gets it's first little chip. In 10 or 15 years when I try to sell it a few chips aren't gonna kill it's value.

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
Whatever floats your boat. At least you're consistent in your protection.

Personally not a fan of that stuff Looks like the crappy clear bras circa 2000s to me.

For me, it's a truck. It ain't even broke in till it gets it's first little chip. In 10 or 15 years when I try to sell it a few chips aren't gonna kill it's value.
The first scratch is the deepest... :brokenheart:

I put the first scratch in the bed unloading the steps. The box was a little damaged, and the steps dragged a great big scratch in my bed as I pulled the box out. The bed liner was still in the box next to it. :blush:

I wanted to cry and kick my own ass at that moment. After that, I just realized the truck is a reflection of the owner. I've got a few scratches and dents of my own, mostly self-inflicted. A truck is a tool. As long as the bumps and scratches are acquired in the course of doing useful work (or enjoyable leisure activities) it's no biggie. I take reasonable care of my stuff, but sometimes, I just get in my own way...

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
If I were you I'd strongly consider relocating. Don't you have a lake house? Time to retire!
It’s definitely time to retire and I would love to spend most of that time at the lake! It’s a slower, quieter pace in small-town rural Ontario, for sure. The winters would be a challenge - a lot like the pictures @Arly posts but without all the fun toys, cross country ski trails, and dogs. ?
Sponsored