Bug/Rock Deflector

Mpro2

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger xlt
So, what's the final opinion on the preferred deflector? I'm ready to purchase one, but still not sure which one after all of these comments. Any second thoughts on your purchases?
Sponsored

CWOJohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I ended up going with the AVS BugDeflector II. Install was pretty easy once I employed wife's help, definitely easier with 2 people. I like the height of the deflector and lip, but also the gap between the hood and deflector. I liked the formed look of the WeatherTech but I was too concern with it being too close to paint. I also like the drain slots in the AVS which keeps water from building up between hood and deflector. Price was really good too at $54.

AVS Deflector.jpg

AVS Bug Deflector II.jpeg

Last edited:

TJMarchand

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT / 1984 Monte Carlo SS
I ended up going with the AVS BugDelector II. Install was pretty easy once I employed wife's help, definitely easier with 2 people. I like the height of the deflector and lip, but also the gap between the hood and deflector. I liked the formed look of the WeatherTech but I was too concern with it being too close to paint. I also like the drain slots in the AVS which keeps water from building up between hood and deflector. Price was really good too at $54.

AVS Deflector.jpg

AVS Bug Deflector II.jpeg
I purchased the same one. I am extremely happy with it as well, both with how functional it as and the look.

OP
OP

Jon54

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Edge Ltd
I have the AVS Aeroskin II and it helped with smaller bugs, but the larger ones still smashed on my windshield. I just drove from TN to Utah and back. Took me near an hour to get the bugs all off my windshield and grill.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have the AVS Aeroskin II and it helped with smaller bugs, but the larger ones still smashed on my windshield. I just drove from TN to Utah and back. Took me near an hour to get the bugs all off my windshield and grill.
Hi Jon,

I use this to clean the front of the RV, and area 12' by 8.5'

bugs.jpg

Mpro2

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger xlt
So, what's the final opinion on the preferred deflector? I'm ready to purchase one, but still not sure which one after all of these comments. Any second thoughts on your purchases?
Okay, that settles it for me....going with the Aeroskin 2, since I do not support the overpriced weathertech products anyway. Thanks!

apotocki

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Network Force Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, that settles it for me....going with the Aeroskin 2, since I do not support the overpriced weathertech products anyway. Thanks!
Just to be sure you are getting the one you want:
The AVS Aeroskin 2 is a hood protector and will not do much for bugs. It attaches directly to the hood using 3M adhesive tape.
The AVS Bug Deflector II is a bug deflector - like the traditional type - that sits off the hood.

I have the Aeroskin 2 - see picture.
Just hoping to help.

F9E26E5D-5418-4AB3-B9AD-39D1173F1798.jpeg

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The AVS Aeroskin 2 is a hood protector and will not do much for bugs. It attaches directly to the hood using 3M adhesive tape.
The AVS Bug Deflector II is a bug deflector - like the traditional type - that sits off the hood.

Just hoping to help.

Hi Alan,

Is there enough clearance behind the deflector to clean the nose of the hood?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

CWOJohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT

Just hoping to help.

That's why I went with the Bug Deflector II vs the Aeroskin II. I really like the form fit and matte black look of the Aeroskin II, but I did not want to attach the Aeroskin directly to my hood via adhesive tape, I wanted the gap and I did want the lip to help with deflection of bugs and other things. I also believe the Aeroskin II was little more expensive, but that wasn't a huge factor for me. It really comes down to a matter of what you want from your protector/deflector.

apotocki

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Network Force Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Alan,

Is there enough clearance behind the deflector to clean the nose of the hood?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hi Phil.....the protector sits pretty much flush with the hood. There is not a gap large enough to where in any debris or such would get under it. I typically take a micro fiber cloth and go along the edge whenever I clean the vehicle (which is pretty much almost every day!) and that takes care of any dirt that is along the edge that normal washing/cleaning didn't get.
The picture exaggerates the gap - it really is pretty tight and I do not have any issues or complaints.

7F346EEA-2CB1-4F13-97B5-3479BF80BDC9.jpeg

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Phil.....the protector sits pretty much flush with the hood. There is not a gap large enough to where in any debris or such would get under it. I typically take a micro fiber cloth and go along the edge whenever I clean the vehicle (which is pretty much almost every day!) and that takes care of any dirt that is along the edge that normal washing/cleaning didn't get.
The picture exaggerates the gap - it really is pretty tight and I do not have any issues or complaints.

7F346EEA-2CB1-4F13-97B5-3479BF80BDC9.jpeg
Hi Alan,

Thanks for the info!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Mpro2

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger xlt
Well, I really like the look of the Aeroskin 2 because of the matte black appearance, but still looking for that bug repellent too, ha! So, I guess the bugshield would fit my need the best. What is the color of the bugshield? I absolutely do not want any shade of "smoke color". Too 1980's for me....??

CWOJohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Unfortunately the AVS Bug Deflector II is “smoke”. It looks like the pics I posted earlier in this thread.