Bucking/Surging Epidemic

Y2Dip84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
I ended up ordering just the sensor (not entire assembly). Those of you who just did the sensor, how are you cutting off the metal clips at the end of the hoses? Did you remove the entire assembly (undo the hoses) or did you keep it attached?

I guess what I am asking is what kind of method are you using to get rid of the crimp connectors? Dremmel? Small pliers? Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:

ToothRanger

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
D.D.S.
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks to everyone contributing to this thread. I'm just over 56K on my odometer and looks like I need to swap out my EGR sensor as well.

Funny though, my clueless service advisor correctly diagnosed and verified that the EGR system is the issue. However, she incorrectly quoted the part number that needs replacement as LB5Z-9E469-B, which is the EGR tube. After reading through all this thread I'm 95% certain that the service advisor at Hacienda Ford is an idiot. Once I receive and install my new EGR sensor over the weekend I'll then be 100% certain that she's an idiot. I will post my results later.

Hacienda Ford also quoted me over $600 for parts and installation. Adios and deuces, Hacienda!!!!

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Thanks to everyone contributing to this thread. I'm just over 56K on my odometer and looks like I need to swap out my EGR sensor as well.

Funny though, my clueless service advisor correctly diagnosed and verified that the EGR system is the issue. However, she incorrectly quoted the part number that needs replacement as LB5Z-9E469-B, which is the EGR tube. After reading through all this thread I'm 95% certain that the service advisor at Hacienda Ford is an idiot. Once I receive and install my new EGR sensor over the weekend I'll then be 100% certain that she's an idiot. I will post my results later.

Hacienda Ford also quoted me over $600 for parts and installation. Adios and deuces, Hacienda!!!!
sometimes you gotta call it as you see it but make sure you let her know after you've made certain - she deserves to know !

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 / 2017 Escape SE FWD
No need for calling a name, could be someone’s daughter with a new job… but either way, she gave you a better diagnosis than many mechanics would… if it’s not the right thing, they’ll fix it.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

LB5Z-9J433-B is the correct part...however, this is the sensor assembly which includes the mounting bracket, new sensor and new hoses along with new clamps...the part coast me $80 before shipping...it should take less than 1/2 hour to install but it's a challenge...go back a few pages and reread my experience...link:
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/bucking-surging-epidemic.14581/post-573946

Y2Dip84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
So I just bought the sensor and…either I am mechanically deficient or this part is harder to install than I expected. I can’t for the life of me cut the crimp clamps off the hoses. Tried diagonal cutters and can’t get enough leverage. Tried to remove the entire assembly but I can’t see the spring clamps on the hoses in the rear to get a pair of needle nose pliers. How are you guys getting these things off? I am more inclined to buy the entire assembly and just cut it off…

RangerBill

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew FX4
Occupation
retired
So I just bought the sensor and…either I am mechanically deficient or this part is harder to install than I expected. I can’t for the life of me cut the crimp clamps off the hoses. Tried diagonal cutters and can’t get enough leverage. Tried to remove the entire assembly but I can’t see the spring clamps on the hoses in the rear to get a pair of needle nose pliers. How are you guys getting these things off? I am more inclined to buy the entire assembly and just cut it off…
Dremel tool cutoff wheel?

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I have not replaced one (yet), but I am wondering if you can get a little better access through the driver's side fender liner, For Visual Aid
And by the sound of it a long-handled pair of Needle Nose
I am kind of amazed that the whole assembly actually comes with the extra plastic ring clips to aid in install of new one.
This is an instance where a tech grabbed an engineer by the tie and handed him the tools and said, " You Do It", I have a feeling that is how they are now manufactured with them installed.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I'd recommend buying the assembly...
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/bucking-surging-epidemic.14581/page-26#post-573946

Last edited:

Burnt Money

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I bought the KA1Z-5L200-A sensor only for $12.00 online. It’s a Ford OEM unit. It fixed my problems. I installed it this morning and have driven over 60 miles today and the jerking/hesitating is gone. It felt like a manual transmission in to high a gear before. The truck drives noticeably better overall. I did notice the previous issue was more pronounced with the Livernois performance tune than it was with the towing tune.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I bought the KA1Z-5L200-A sensor only for $12.00 online. It’s a Ford OEM unit. It fixed my problems. I installed it this morning and have driven over 60 miles today and the jerking/hesitating is gone. It felt like a manual transmission in to high a gear before. The truck drives noticeably better overall. I did notice the previous issue was more pronounced with the Livernois performance tune than it was with the towing tune.
Just curious if there was a great amount of moisture in the larger tube, as this appears to be what is causing the failure.
But due to the inherent nature of the exhaust flowing through the sensor, moisture is unavoidable inside the sensor, and it depends on how much moisture and how the sensor reacts to the moisture.
For the majority that have the issue, it is a no code issue, until it senses a big enough error before it will trip P0401 / P0402/ P139A / P139B or P139C

Burnt Money

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Just curious if there was a great amount of moisture in the larger tube, as this appears to be what is causing the failure.
But due to the inherent nature of the exhaust flowing through the sensor, moisture is unavoidable inside the sensor, and it depends on how much moisture and how the sensor reacts to the moisture.
For the majority that have the issue, it is a no code issue, until it senses a big enough error before it will trip P0401 / P0402/ P139A / P139B or P139C
I didn’t notice any moisture in the hoses or sensor. I have the old sensor still. I might cut it apart to see what it looks like inside.

ToothRanger

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
D.D.S.
Vehicle Showcase

Swapped out the sensor assembly. It was simple enough thanks to this thread. Happy to report that everything is running great and my CEL has turned off!

Y2Dip84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
How did you get the steel crimp clamps off the hoses?

ToothRanger

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
D.D.S.
Vehicle Showcase
How did you get the steel crimp clamps off the hoses?
Small slip joint pliers and a little muscle work well. As another member posted, needle nose pliers will slip. I also wore an LED headlamp because it's dark in there and if you can't see it, you can't fix it. I had to lay across the driver's side fender and on top of the battery.
Sponsored