First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
I've been having issues with my truck lately as well. To be clear, you all are replacing this part:
1686578152419.png

Does this sensor have any bearing on the situation? RockAuto and Ford Parts calls both of these a DPFE sensor.
1686578376348.png

1686578470248.png

I've also been having trouble for ages with the truck setting P061B and U0401. It only happens when the truck is first started when cold and if I take off from a stop with light throttle pressure. Those two codes will set, and the truck will suddenly act like it has no idea what to do. The engine will miss and stumble up to about 3000 RPM and then the transmission has no clue what gear to be in. It will shift as high as 9th gear at 30 mph.
Sponsored

RangerBill

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew FX4
Occupation
retired
I've been having issues with my truck lately as well. To be clear, you all are replacing this part:
1686578152419.png

Does this sensor have any bearing on the situation? RockAuto and Ford Parts calls both of these a DPFE sensor.
1686578376348.png

1686578470248.png

I've also been having trouble for ages with the truck setting P061B and U0401. It only happens when the truck is first started when cold and if I take off from a stop with light throttle pressure. Those two codes will set, and the truck will suddenly act like it has no idea what to do. The engine will miss and stumble up to about 3000 RPM and then the transmission has no clue what gear to be in. It will shift as high as 9th gear at 30 mph.
The first part that you show (the Ford part) is the one that many times fixes the stumbling engine problem.

Burnt Money

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
How did you get the steel crimp clamps off the hoses?
A pair of side cutters. Twisted it back and forth till I could the part of the clamp sticking up. It was definitely a man up moment squeezing down to cut it.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
1686578152419.png

1686578376348.png

1686578470248.png

That sensor is stand alone piece and cost $12...but you'll need to remove the assembly, and install this back onto the mount and reuse the hoses as well as new clamps of your choice...the more expensive option is the entire assembly $80 and includes new hoses connected to the sensor and new clamps for the connecting tubes...pick your challenge...the cheap option is harder to install...

And YES! This 100% fixes the stumbling/hesitation issues...

Last edited:

Burnt Money

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I went with the cheap option. It took 15min to get the old one off after fighting the clamps. Putting the new one on is about 3-5min. Side cutters, new part, 8mm socket (I think), ratchet wrench, nut driver for the hose clamps and 2 5/16 hoses clamps is all that was needed from what I remember. Getting the clamps off was by far the worse part for me.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the cheap option. It took 15min to get the old one off after fighting the clamps. Putting the new one on is about 3-5min. Side cutters, new part, 8mm socket (I think), ratchet wrench, nut driver for the hose clamps and 2 5/16 hoses clamps is all that was needed from what I remember. Getting the clamps off was by far the worse part for me.
I bought both because it was unclear what the parts was actually needed a few pages back...having both allowed me to understand what was the difference...I assembled another spare set from the old parts and stored for future need...maybe when I break 200K miles...

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
1686578152419.png

1686578376348.png

1686578470248.png

the codes you listed are not related to the DPFE - they are for throttle body and airflow - I will dig into the manual for more info - Do you have a CAI? Installed
Or clogged / damaged air filter or inlet ductwork?

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
the codes you listed are not related to the DPFE - they are for throttle body and airflow - I will dig into the manual for more info - Do you have a CAI? Installed
Or clogged / damaged air filter or inlet ductwork?
The dealer had placed a Roush CAI on the truck before they even placed it on the lot, so yes. I was looking at throttle body issues on that as well. I hadn't plugged Forscan in yet to look at graphs for the throttle body or accelerator pedal yet. I've had the issue with the P061B/U0401 codes for quite some time. Dealer has been less than helpful. I'd contemplated throwing the Rouch CAI away and getting the stock airbox lid and tube. They had "lost" it before I bought the truck.

More recently, I've noticed what felt like the engine "missing" or bucking lightly when the engine is still warming up and cruising at 30-50 MPH like a couple others have stated which made me wonder if the DPFE was having issues as well.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Note: U0401 is not the same as P0401- U=communication code

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
Note: U0401 is not the same as P0401- U=communication code
Correct. This was U0401. Forscan is actually showing it set in the IPMA module whenever it also throws the P061B code.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
That sensor is stand alone piece and cost $12...but you'll need to remove the assembly, and install this back onto the mount and reuse the hoses as well as new clamps of your choice...the more expensive option is the entire assembly $80 and includes new hoses connected to the sensor and new clamps for the connecting tubes...pick your challenge...the cheap option is harder to install...
If you get the cheap option and a better hose clamp at the sensor end, doesn't it become the easier option the next time you need to replace?

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Correct. This was U0401. Forscan is actually showing it set in the IPMA module whenever it also throws the P061B code.
P061b , Kind of generic code, but Pin-Pont tests lead you down to the Throttle Body / Air Induction Leak, other notes are possible crank sensor and or re-program PCM

U0401 - (-86) - Ties to Invalid Data from PCM

So, the only thing electrical (data wise) in that intake ducting is the IAT Sensor, so if it is still installed it may be bad.
A quick check would be before you start in AM, hook up Forscan and check what the sensor is reading. The IAT and ECT temps should match with a cold engine.
But with no other codes then I think the Air Induction Tubing is the issue.

The IAT (Intake Air Temp), is a important parameter for Fuel Delivery and Spark Advance

Plus, since the Ranger does not have a MAF and uses the MAP instead the MAP sensor ties into the DPFE sensor and EGR system.
I think I would tackle the known codes first, then if still issue, then throw a DPFE at it.

Last edited:

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
P061b , Kind of generic code, but Pin-Pont tests lead you down to the Throttle Body / Air Induction Leak, other notes are possible crank sensor and or re-program PCM

U0401 - (-86) - Ties to Invalid Data from PCM

So, the only thing electrical (data wise) in that intake ducting is the IAT Sensor, so if it is still installed it may be bad.
A quick check would be before you start in AM, hook up Forscan and check what the sensor is reading. The IAT and ECT temps should match with a cold engine.
But with no other codes then I think the Air Induction Tubing is the issue.

The IAT (Intake Air Temp), is a important parameter for Fuel Delivery and Spark Advance

Plus, since the Ranger does not have a MAF and uses the MAP instead the MAP sensor ties into the DPFE sensor and EGR system.
I think I would tackle the known codes first, then if still issue, then throw a DPFE at it.
Thanks for this info. I wasn't able to get out and try this first thing this morning, but I am doing it now early afternoon. IAT looks to be accurate and is fairly close to ECT and ambient air temp.

I'm looking into locating a stock airbox lid and tube and I'll throw this Roush CAI in the trash.
1686679148735.png

Y2Dip84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
So I got around to having the sensor installed…since I didn’t get the whole assembly I just had the dealership do it. At this point, I am not sure if it fixed the problem and actually seems like it may have gotten worse…maybe it’s just my anger clouding the results…but is there another related cause for these symptoms? I recall another thread about some type of recall…thanks everyone

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So I got around to having the sensor installed…since I didn’t get the whole assembly I just had the dealership do it. At this point, I am not sure if it fixed the problem and actually seems like it may have gotten worse…maybe it’s just my anger clouding the results…but is there another related cause for these symptoms? I recall another thread about some type of recall…thanks everyone
Or the dealer messed up the install? If they had to disassemble the unit, I'd look and see that they re-clamped the hoses properly...
Sponsored