Break In Oil Change - Thoughts

jakelock

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Hi All, new, happy owner of a 2021 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab. I picked it up in Boise last Saturday and drove back to Seattle - the truck has about 700 miles on it. I'm leaving next week for New York for a couple of months - driving the Ranger there and back. Was thinking I should do a 'break in' oil change before I leave (probably will have 800 miles only). That way, when I'm back in August the truck will have about 8000 miles on it (mostly highway) and ready for oil change two. What do you folks think about changing prior to my leaving at a fairly low mileage?
Sponsored

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
There is no "break in" oil. I just monitor my level and change it as defined in the OM.

Your vehicle, your choice though.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Hi All, new, happy owner of a 2021 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab. I picked it up in Boise last Saturday and drove back to Seattle - the truck has about 700 miles on it. I'm leaving next week for New York for a couple of months - driving the Ranger there and back. Was thinking I should do a 'break in' oil change before I leave (probably will have 800 miles only). That way, when I'm back in August the truck will have about 8000 miles on it (mostly highway) and ready for oil change two. What do you folks think about changing prior to my leaving at a fairly low mileage?
I'm switching to full synthetic at 1,000 miles. After that, every 5-6k or so. I'm in the same boat as you. Would rather be safe than sorry.

mgallo13

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MM Focus ST (sold), 2020 MM Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Financial Controller
Vehicle Showcase
i switched to full synthetic somewhere between 1000-2000 miles. no issues to report.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Jake, My certified Ford mechanic Dave, recommended to do the 1st oil change at 3000 with a synthetic blend (unless the choice is conventional or straight synthetic then that is a different schedule to follow) then every 5000 after that. I will follow the above schedule using synthetic blend which is my own personal preference. This Edmans video explains the difference between conventional and synthetic oils:
Motor Oil | Conventional Vs. Synthetic - YouTube
Hope this helps.

OP
OP

jakelock

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Jake, My certified Ford mechanic Dave, recommended to do the 1st oil change at 3000 with a synthetic blend (unless the choice is conventional or straight synthetic then that is a different schedule to follow) then every 5000 after that. I will follow the above schedule using synthetic blend which is my own personal preference. This Edmans video explains the difference between conventional and synthetic oils:
Motor Oil | Conventional Vs. Synthetic - YouTube
Hope this helps.
I have the option of changing the oil during a weekend stay in Ohio, which puts me right around 3000 miles. I'm leaning to that option

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Two things, the oil factory uses is just synthetic blend. The ā€˜extraā€™ in it is the lubricants and assembly greases they use during building. They do have a benefit in the breaking in process.

Myself, I went 3,800 on mine and then did a change to full synthetic.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Two things, the oil factory uses is just synthetic blend. The ā€˜extraā€™ in it is the lubricants and assembly greases they use during building. They do have a benefit in the breaking in process.

Myself, I went 3,800 on mine and then did a change to full synthetic.
I prefer recycled oil for burnouts :LOL:

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Two things, the oil factory uses is just synthetic blend.
I could very well be wrong, but I don't think this is the case. I used the Motorcraft synthetic blend in my first oil change, and sent samples from both the first (factory oil) and the second (off-the-shelf motorcraft) oil changes to Blackstone for UOAs. There were multiple differences, and while most of them were minor enough to be attributed to analytical variability or washout of gunk from the newly manufactured engine, there was only 13 ppm moly in the used factory oil, but 97 ppm in used Motorcraft synthetic blend. I haven't noticed whether the UOAs that other people have posted show a similar difference.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I could very well be wrong, but I don't think this is the case. I used the Motorcraft synthetic blend in my first oil change, and sent samples from both the first (factory oil) and the second (off-the-shelf motorcraft) oil changes to Blackstone for UOAs. There were multiple differences, and while most of them were minor enough to be attributed to analytical variability or washout of gunk from the newly manufactured engine, there was only 13 ppm moly in the used factory oil, but 97 ppm in used Motorcraft synthetic blend. I haven't noticed whether the UOAs that other people have posted show a similar difference.
The moly is part of light grease used in assembly. They takes awhile to work through and become suspended in the oil. The moly is important for breaking in though. Longer it stays in there the better.

Although I didnā€™t see it in my analysis it doesnā€™t mean itā€™s not present. I have my suspicions about PTFE being in there too. Has the same benefits as moly and is introduced the same way.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
You know, Iā€™m beginning to like the idea of electric vehicles. The oil in this truck is worrying us to death.
Donā€™t fret young padawan. Iā€™m sure people wonā€™t have a problem drumming up some other doomsday thread for EVs. Iā€™m sure the batteries are screwing with Dolphins somewhere. Itā€™s human nature. People seem to need to fear the unknown.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
I changed my oil at 1000 miles and sent in a sample to a lab for analysis. It was full of metals like copper and aluminum. I sent in another sample at my 8000 mile oil change and all the metals were way down below the normal threshold. I drive mostly city.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I changed my oil at 1000 miles and sent in a sample to a lab for analysis. It was full of metals like copper and aluminum. I sent in another sample at my 8000 mile oil change and all the metals were way down below the normal threshold. I drive mostly city.
What was the level rating at 1000 miles as compared to the normal or acceptable threshold?
Thanks.
Sponsored