First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 2010 Subaru WRX STi, 2000 ford ranger XLT, 1973 Datsun 240Z
Occupation
Self employed
Today I changed my oil at 2800 miles and as I was transferring the oil to an old container I saw what appeared to be quite a bit of metal in the oil. Splinters of aluminum, tiny little copper flakes, and even a curled piece like chips from a lathe. I’d assume there must’ve been some in the pan from the build process of the engine. But the copper flakes would be bearing material, maybe from the face of a thrust bearing? I didn’t take pictures (which I should have) but I still have the oil, so I’m going to get an analysis done.

Im curious if anybody had a similar experience who did the first oil change on their ranger themselves?
Sponsored

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
Today I changed my oil at 2800 miles and as I was transferring the oil to an old container I saw what appeared to be quite a bit of metal in the oil. Splinters of aluminum, tiny little copper flakes, and even a curled piece like chips from a lathe. I’d assume there must’ve been some in the pan from the build process of the engine. But the copper flakes would be bearing material, maybe from the face of a thrust bearing? I didn’t take pictures (which I should have) but I still have the oil, so I’m going to get an analysis done.

Im curious if anybody had a similar experience who did the first oil change on their ranger themselves?

Wouldn't read too much into it. Analysis will be off technically since you didn't drain to a sterile container. I did my first oil change at 1k and it wasn't as bad as you describe but it was definitely dirty for a new engine with such low miles. Save the money on the analysis and do a swap of your rear diff fluid if you want to see some nasty stuff come out lol

OP
OP
BLU_RNGR

BLU_RNGR

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self employed
Wouldn't read too much into it. Analysis will be off technically since you didn't drain to a sterile container. I did my first oil change at 1k and it wasn't as bad as you describe but it was definitely dirty for a new engine with such low miles. Save the money on the analysis and do a swap of your rear diff fluid if you want to see some nasty stuff come out lol
Damn, I may need to do those fluids as well. Lol

the oil was drained into a brand new pan. Then poured it into the new 5 quart jug that was left over after I poured the new oil in. So I don’t think it is contaminated with anything foreign. I guess if the next oil change has that much in it I’ll be a little more concerned. I bought the truck with 46 miles on it. So however many times it was test driven it probably wasn’t warm when it got hammered on. Whatever, It came with a lifetime powertrain warranty.

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier SV in Tactical Green Metallic
Occupation
Cool Dude
did you drain your filter into the same pan? because initial oil changes are always sparkly on the outside of the filter.

OP
OP
BLU_RNGR

BLU_RNGR

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self employed
did you drain your filter into the same pan? because initial oil changes are always sparkly on the outside of the filter.
yes, I drained the filter into the same pan. Makes sense it came from the filter. I’ve had a few built motor cars but never came across big pieces of metal on initial oil changes.

I didn’t get all of the oil out of the filter though. After I got paranoid I went back and drained the remaining 1/4 cup out but found nothing.

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cool Dude
Yeah. What do you mean by big? as an example, I had a Tacoma V6 i sold to buy this ranger. It has a desicant type filter, so you get to see what's outside in the oil on change. On initial change at 1500 miles, it looked like metal flake black paint. all that silver. that's normal. so if you put all that oil into the drain pan, that's probably where it came from.

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cool Dude
I'd probably just drive it, and do a change at 1000 or 2000 miles from here, see if there anything in that.. I would note it with the dealer in writing so there's a record it. there's some oil filter cutting tools out there that allow you to open your filter w/o contaminating it (that much). might want to get one of those and look inside.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
This is almost to be an expected thing when performing the first few oil changes.

During break-in all the rotating/friction parts experience a measure amount of wear. The rings as they seat in wear against the micro-abrasive surface of the cylinder walls from the honing that was performed on them prior to assembly. With out this the rings would never seat in properly. The main, rod, and cam shaft bearing surfaces all shed off a small amount of the top coating layer during brake-in as they wear against the various components as the engine runs. Pretty much every moving part in the engine will experience some level of wear surfaces grind against each other. Typically this is extremely minor and if you were to measure things line the main or rod bearings with a micrometer the difference under a normal engine break-in would be at best few hundred thousanths. Then there are the small shavings and other particles like plastics from other components and the machining processes that get washed down to the pan by the oil as the engine runs where it is picked up by the pump and sent right into the filter.

All this happens within the first 10-1000 miles of the engine's running life, and is one of the reasons it is generally recommended to perform the first few oil changes every 1000-2000 miles and use a high quality filter to remove as much of this break-in material as possible. After that the amount of metal in the oil will drop off significantly. You'll still see some in there but nothing like that of the first few changes.

OP
OP
BLU_RNGR

BLU_RNGR

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self employed
Yeah. What do you mean by big? as an example, I had a Tacoma V6 i sold to buy this ranger. It has a desicant type filter, so you get to see what's outside in the oil on change. On initial change at 1500 miles, it looked like metal flake black paint. all that silver. that's normal. so if you put all that oil into the drain pan, that's probably where it came from.
6 or seven splinters that were at least 1/4” long. They curly one I described was maybe 1/2”. I’m not too worried about it, just figured I’d ask around to see if anybody else experienced the same thing.

OP
OP
BLU_RNGR

BLU_RNGR

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self employed
its a piston engine that lives its life fighting friction.
you're bound to find things throughout its life, especially the first time when it's collecting all the crap from manufacture and build process.
If something is failing, you will know it sooner than later.
this is why warranties exist.
dont lose sleep over it.
Of course it is. Just a little surprising as I’ve done hundreds of oil changes and have never seen anything like it. Even a few first oil changes. If it was some sort of premature wear from something then what’s done is done. I’ll have to take a look at the next oil change and empty the filter into a different container.

aeroshots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
I'm concluding that you and I are in the minority. We both understand the new engine thing. But, I've never seen the extent you've described either. I think you've asked a great question. I've nothing to add by way of advice. Only want to say I would share your concern and hopefully you and I are simply experienced in other types of engines, possibly build to different standards and break in theories.
Now, off to get some oil for an earlier than planned first oil change. Thanks to you. ?

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
6 or seven splinters that were at least 1/4” long. They curly one I described was maybe 1/2”. I’m not too worried about it, just figured I’d ask around to see if anybody else experienced the same thing.
Alex,I would be concerned about 1/4 long pieces of metal. I would take the oil to the dealer for them to decide. I have built a lot of motors over the years and after a short break in run or dyno pull I would cut open the oil filter . If I found 1/4 inches pieces in the oil or filter that motor is coming back apart cause something in there is not happy.Good luck Bret

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
Damn, I may need to do those fluids as well. Lol

the oil was drained into a brand new pan. Then poured it into the new 5 quart jug that was left over after I poured the new oil in. So I don’t think it is contaminated with anything foreign. I guess if the next oil change has that much in it I’ll be a little more concerned. I bought the truck with 46 miles on it. So however many times it was test driven it probably wasn’t warm when it got hammered on. Whatever, It came with a lifetime powertrain warranty.

Agh, your definition of "an old container" is much different than mine lol. I have my florite pan from oil changes on my first vehicle :p New pan and into its original container for storage is good to go for the analysis sample...

1/4 shavings would definitely be alarming. Are you certain you have lifetime powertrain? Because really its a matter of how much time and sanity you're willing to lose over something that would obviously be covered if you had a kaboom.