Brake pedal too stiff

dokoroko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ranger
The 2020 ford ranger has the worst brake pedal feel i've ever experienced. Even my dads 2001 corolla has better brake feel. While most brake pedals start with little resistance then lineally increase the further you press the brakes my ranger starts very stiff then gets slightly easier as you press it in. Any ideas how to fix this? Has anyone else experienced this? I've never had a car with bad brake feel before.
Sponsored

DaveT

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Ranger Tremor
Occupation
retired
My 2023 Ranger brake pedal sucks too. i have to be real careful at an intersection stop that it doesn't roll forward. Mushy and stiffer than my old F-150.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I can pretty much guarantee- do the ABS bleed with Forscan - either just the module or complete system.
Then old school bleed at the calipers - they will be much better - I did mine with just 300 miles on it - ton of air from R/Rear

Btw - two dealers stated this is (Normal)

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Diesel :)
Occupation
Retired Powerplant Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I can pretty much guarantee- do the ABS bleed with Forscan - either just the module or complete system.
Then old school bleed at the calipers - they will be much better - I did mine with just 300 miles on it - ton of air from R/Rear

Wow, dealers think it's normal. Sad stuff.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I had my dealer check and bleed the brakes under warranty. They said there was air. Much better now. Adding the ABS bleed might help as well.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I had my dealer check and bleed the brakes under warranty. They said there was air. Much better now. Adding the ABS bleed might help as well.
Mine - never made it past the service writers counter - had to bleed system myself - to clarify- they stated brake pedal feel was normal - well I can tell you - although it does feel softer than what I am accustomed - it is way better than before bleed- as all it took before the bleed to get brake pedal to the floor was very light foot pressure- and I am stressing on very light- combine that with the close proximity of the gas pedal and before you know it - you are pressing on both - so per Ford - normal

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Mine - never made it past the service writers counter - had to bleed system myself - to clarify- they stated brake pedal feel was normal - well I can tell you - although it does feel softer than what I am accustomed - it is way better than before bleed- as all it took before the bleed to get brake pedal to the floor was very light foot pressure- and I am stressing on very light- combine that with the close proximity of the gas pedal and before you know it - you are pressing on both - so per Ford - normal
You mean per “Ford Dealer” - normal. If you think Ford can oversee repairs at 2950 dealers you are dreaming.

OP
OP

dokoroko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ranger
i think my thread got hijacked lol. everyone is talking about squishy brake pedals.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
No, it did not get hijacked.
The Ranger brake pedal is far different than an old school brake pedal.
Mainly due to the Automatic Emerg Brake System.
The Ranger has a known issue with coming from factory with air in the system and proven to be the case by many owners.
The HCU - Hyd Control Unit - Could have air in it as well as the lines. This is what is powered up - when you do the (ABS Module Bleed)

But to be more precise, for firm brake pedal, you would most likely have an issue with the brake booster, not the booster itself but the vacuum supply to it,
Vacuum on Demand - System

Check out this thread - (and see if it relates to your issue)
P103C and no brake boost in reverse? | 2019+ Ford Ranger and Raptor Forum (5th Generation) - Ranger5G.com

Excessive brake pedal effort
Vacuum on demand system fault​
Using a diagnostic scan tool, CARRY OUT the PCM self-test. DIAGNOSE all PCM Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs).
REFER to: Electronic Engine Controls (303-14 Electronic Engine Controls - 2.3L EcoBoost (201kW/273PS), Diagnosis and Testing) .
  • Insufficient vacuum for brake booster operation
  • Brake booster manifold vacuum hose
  • Brake booster
  • Brake booster check valve
  • Brake booster vacuum pump
CARRY OUT the Brake Booster Component Test in this section.
Brake pads​
INSPECT the brake pads and, if equipped, the brake shoes. INSTALL new components as necessary.
REFER to: Brake Pads (206-03 Front Disc Brake, Removal and Installation) .
REFER to: Brake Pads (206-04 Rear Disc Brake, Removal and Installation) .

Vacuum On Demand System

Vehicles equipped with a 2.3L engine supply vacuum to the brake booster through the use of a valve solenoid and an aspirator in the brake booster vacuum tube. When the ABS module detects a low vacuum condition in the brake booster, a message is sent to the PCM requesting additional vacuum. The PCM responds by opening the valve solenoid which allows the engine to draw air from the brake booster, increasing vacuum in the booster. Once the vacuum in the booster has reached the required level, the ABS module stops sending the message and the PCM closes the valve solenoid.

Brake Booster Vacuum Sensor

The brake booster vacuum sensor is a piezoelectric device used by the ABS module to monitor the vacuum in the brake booster. The sensor is hardwired to the ABS module by 3 circuits. One circuit is for the 5 volt sensor supply, one circuit is for sensor ground and one circuit is for sensor output. The sensor output ranges from 0.3 volt to 4.7 volts, depending on the amount of vacuum in the booster.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
One thing to note - is if you quickly press brake pedal - it firms up - for immediate brake application- this truck will stop on a dime if you need it.
The brake pedal feel changes with just normal slowing down brake application.
This is where the noted (by owners) feel changes as compared to your former - older vehicles.

Another possible note - as it appears you bought used - previous owner may have installed a trailer brake controller- someone who has installed an aftermarket controller may know more on the effects it has on the brake pedal - feel

Last edited:

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
i think my thread got hijacked lol. everyone is talking about squishy brake pedals.
Hijacked? Hardly.

Sounds like it could benefit from having a tailgate damper retrofit to soften it up a little.

Now, it’s hijacked. :wink:

RangerTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4

I have done this. It makes a difference. Confirmed.

OP
OP

dokoroko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ranger
One thing to note - is if you quickly press brake pedal - it firms up - for immediate brake application- this truck will stop on a dime if you need it.
The brake pedal feel changes with just normal slowing down brake application.
This is where the noted (by owners) feel changes as compared to your former - older vehicles.

Another possible note - as it appears you bought used - previous owner may have installed a trailer brake controller- someone who has installed an aftermarket controller may know more on the effects it has on the brake pedal - feel
No trailer brake, unlikely that there's Air in the lines seeing as my pedal is very firm and even "fights back" against be pushed. Everyone here is talking about squish and air in the lines. I might repost and have to moderate it i guess. I find it hard to believe there weren't soft pedal threads you guys could have contributed to. i'm aware this is not a usual problem but steamrolling a post is pretty lame
Sponsored