Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
By This,

We do not have the old school proportioning valve; the ABS module now controls the pressure distribution between Front & Rear.
If you are attentive to the operation, you will feel the truck squat down some when heavy braking vs nose dipping.
So, in theory equal wear on brakes, some have reported rear wearing out faster, so either park brake dragging or defect in the system.
Every driver's different in braking habit and big city stop and go traffic, I lived in a suburb of Chicago, and it is brutal on brake pads. I had 22 stop lights between home and O'Hare it was that or add time to the commute to get to I-95 and pay the tolls. So, with my old car I would get about 2 years max on a set of pads. 19-mile drive and 45 minute minimum to max 2.0 hours each way.
I-95 added 15 minutes and lots of quarters back then.
What made it worse, everybody had the light changer box, so the light would be green then switch to yellow quickly, cause someone in the intersecting road changed it. :explode:

Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD)

On initial application of the brake pedal, full pressure is applied to the rear brakes. The ABS module uses wheel speed sensor inputs to evaluate rear wheel slip. Once the rear wheel slip exceeds a predetermined threshold, the ABS module commands the HCU to close the appropriate isolation valves to hold the rear brake pressure constant while allowing the front brake pressure to build. This creates a balanced braking condition between the front and rear wheels. If the rear wheel slip continues and exceeds a second predetermined threshold, the ABS module commands the HCU to open the dump valves to decrease the rear brake pressure and allow the rear wheels to recover. A slight bump sensation may be felt in the brake pedal when EBD is active. If the ABS is disabled due to Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) being present in the ABS module, EBD continues to function unless the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) are for wheel speed sensors or the HCU solenoid valves. When EBD is disabled, the ABS warning indicator, the red brake warning indicator and traction control indicator illuminate.

Technically correct for the most part, but misses what happens as soon as the weight begins transferring to the front, which is what happens under braking. Then rear brake force decreases and front increases. It's not that the front and rear are matched, it is that front and rear are both providing the maximum deceleration that they are capable of. When weight transfers to the front, the rear is much less capable and that pressure has to be reduced and front increased. That's why you have bigger hardware in the front of all vehicles, the front does more work.

Add some load to the bed and the equation changes slightly with the rears being able to provide more stopping power, so I would expect people that lug around stuff in their bed or tow a lot, to have worse rear pad life.

EBD is not much more than a fancy way of proportioning the pressure in the system. Doesn't change the physics of how brakes work.

Now, as to why our rear pads wear faster? Some of it is probably due to EBD, but some of it is also down to traction control. Most all trucks are super light in the rear, and with the torque available, the rear end can spin easily, and traction controls first response is to pulse the brakes on the corner that is slipping since that is the fastest way to bring that wheel under control. It also assists by cutting fuel and timing to back down engine power, but that is slower.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Aka - California Roll - slow down and roll through the stop sign - got scolded by a cop who happened to see me do it - when I was younger of course.
He said Stop means STOP -it does not stand for California Roll:punch:
I see...no I don't do rolls...I do stop...I make it a sport to time lights and looks way down the road...as soon as I see it turn red, I lift and coast then start light even braking...usually, I pass people who passed me racing to the light...very satisfying...

Last edited:
OP
OP

CougFan

First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Super Crew Lariat 4WD
Thanks everyone for your responses. I'll just monitor them myself and not worry too much about what the dealer tells me.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What part number and type are OEM pads? Rockauto has so many suppliers with wide pricing spread...

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What part number and type are OEM pads? Rockauto has so many suppliers with wide pricing spread...
Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
If using Rock Auto and wanting OEM Pads
These part numbers cross from the part numbers I posted above.

Front - Motorcraft - BRF1874 = KB3Z2001A
Rear - Motorcraft - BRF1885 = JB3Z2200D

Sorry the manuals do not state material they are made from.

Conman50

First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger; 2014 Ford Fusion
Are y'all running ceramic pads, semi metallic?

I assume cutting rotors with pad installs?

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
FWIW, I have been using PowerStop ceramic pads on all my vehicles for the past 10 years or so. They have good initial bite, minimal dust and don't eat rotors as fast as metallic pads.

Usually get a kit from Rock Auto that includes pads and rotors.

brroberts

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD SuperCab
Occupation
audio / semi retired
I don’t see well.. Yield, stop all look the same to me! I have lots of pad left and broke in the brakes when I got the truck, but they squeal all of the time. Currently around 30K miles with lots of towing, but mostly trailers with brakes.
Sponsored