Brake pedal too stiff

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I understand his frustration- but the manuals linked on this Forum are difficult to navigate and are incomplete- I already posted the only reference to his firm pedal. The rest is experienced based troubleshooting.
The Ford manuals are vague at best. There is no magic wand and change this specific part to fix the issue as it can be a few things that is causing it even air in the system- if there is air in a line in the right spot (bend) it could also cause the opposite effect of mushy brake pedal. (The fluid has to flow freely) and an air pocket can cause the firm brake pedal.
Sponsored

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I understand his frustration- but the manuals linked on this Forum are difficult to navigate and are incomplete- I already posted the only reference to his firm pedal. The rest is experienced based troubleshooting.
The Ford manuals are vague at best. There is no magic wand and change this specific part to fix the issue as it can be a few things that is causing it even air in the system- if there is air in a line in the right spot (bend) it could also cause the opposite effect of mushy brake pedal. (The fluid has to flow freely) and an air pocket can cause the firm brake pedal.
As usual, you’ve been very helpful and have gone out of your way, once again. However, no good deed and all that. :(

Last edited:

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
i think my thread got hijacked lol. everyone is talking about squishy brake pedals.
If your brke pedal is stiff or high effort, there may be a problem with the master cylinder or one or more wheel cylinders. I'd have it checked out.
It is much more common to have long travel and a mushy feeling brake pedal. I can live with the latter until I get to 59,999.9 mi. Then I plan to have all fluids flushed- "If you can pour it, change it" and get new tires. If there are any problems, I want those taken care of under factory warranty, even though I have a 10/150 extended on it.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
My 2020 sometimes is stiff when I first get in. I just double pump it once or twice and then after that it's fine. Not sure why, but I can live with it.

scarchild35

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sales Engineer
yes, i know everyone posting in this thread only has squishy brakes. so why are you posting in a thread that has nothing to do with hard brakes. is there a gas leak in this forum?
Hey pal, I didn't mean to upset you. Sorry I didn't answer your question. I do hope your issue gets fixed. Really. And I do understand how frustrating it can be when something you like isn't performing to your expectations, I get it. In case you haven't noticed by now, this forum is full of folks who are just excited about their and everyone else's Ranger. Some of us are goofballs, like me, some are more serious, but I promise no one is intentionally trying to piss anyone off.
Peace ✌

seanellaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab Fx4
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
The 2020 ford ranger has the worst brake pedal feel i've ever experienced. Even my dads 2001 corolla has better brake feel. While most brake pedals start with little resistance then lineally increase the further you press the brakes my ranger starts very stiff then gets slightly easier as you press it in. Any ideas how to fix this? Has anyone else experienced this? I've never had a car with bad brake feel before.
This helped my firm up all the way (It makes a HORRID SOUND, do not be alarmed):
Brake fix

do not open bleeder screws

do not do anything to truck except the forscan part

open FS (ForScan)

key on not running

set ELM to left / MS… mode

FS hover over connect to vehicle. Do it

FS will tell u 2 switch to HS Can posn. Do it

FS Reads Vehicle modules

Follow command to switch to MS Can

FS reads other modules

FS asks save profile say yes.

Go to Service Functions left panel

Clickon ABS Svc bleed, click play THE NOISE IS HORRIBLE

FS asks you to select component that was replaced

Clickon Brake Fluid - OK

FS will prompt you, read, follow

DO NOT DO ANYTHING TO TRUCK

CLICK OK

FS will run process, tell you to do things to truck, don’t.

Will ask again, I think to run for rear brakes

Do it, again NOTHING TO TRUCK

FS thinks for a bit, completes, hit stop

Then back to Svc Procs, tab ABS Module reset

Run it / play, follow prompts ok

Dun: Drive, it will reset DTC’s

OP
OP

dokoroko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ranger
Hey pal, I didn't mean to upset you. Sorry I didn't answer your question. I do hope your issue gets fixed. Really. And I do understand how frustrating it can be when something you like isn't performing to your expectations, I get it. In case you haven't noticed by now, this forum is full of folks who are just excited about their and everyone else's Ranger. Some of us are goofballs, like me, some are more serious, but I promise no one is intentionally trying to piss anyone off.
Peace ✌

I don't think anyone here is upset, I do think the people recommending me various drinks are agitators but it's really not a big deal. Not sure how close you've been following the thread but I gave up trying to keep it on topic. I've honestly never seen anything like it. I think it's pretty rude to keep saying i'm upset or frustrated, sounds like something i've heard kids say in a callofduty match. The only thing I did was ask that people stay on topic. haven't once complained that no one is providing me answers. I'm fine with a dead thread that produces 0 results. But flooding it with off topic comments is pretty disrespectful.

Protomeister

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - black/ebony with BAP
Thank you so much for posting this video and summarizing the Forscan ABS Service Bleed procedure - I was hunting for this and couldn't find the details.

Just had the actual brake system bled/flushed yesterday (no appreciable difference) and looking forward to running this procedure today / soon.

Protomeister

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - black/ebony with BAP
Just had the actual brake system bled/flushed yesterday (no appreciable difference) and looking forward to running this procedure today / soon.
I ran the ABS Service in Forscan, per the video. Again, gave me the confidence to tackle it and thank goodness he warned about the awful noises that are generated.

And... the good news is that the brakes FINALLY feel like I expect they should/would. There is instant response/resistance when pushing on the pedal, no more pedal travel without the truck slowing down :-0

(BTW, I also recently did new shocks/struts, level, larger tires - it rides like a completely different vehicle, in a good way!)
Sponsored