First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Medical device manufacturing, Retired USMC
Attached is a link to a video on how to fix the mushy break pedal in about ten minutes with ForScan. It even took care of that little bump when you come to a complete stop. This was posted on the 2019+ Ford Ranger Owners Facebook page. I did it this morning and it works like a champ.

Sponsored

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
All I can say is wow!! for anybody who thinks that the brake pedal is okay, if you have Forscan it's worth a try, my dealer gave it the "no problem found" stamp.

This procedure really made a huge difference, I actually moved the seat back afterwards as I no longer feel the pedal traveling down so much.

Maybe my truck was worse than others, but it is so much better now.

Huge thanks to those who brought this info here.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
All I can say is wow!! for anybody who thinks that the brake pedal is okay, if you have Forscan it's worth a try, my dealer gave it the "no problem found" stamp.

This procedure really made a huge difference, I actually moved the seat back afterwards as I no longer feel the pedal traveling down so much.

Maybe my truck was worse than others, but it is so much better now.

Huge thanks to those who brought this info here.
It's a game changer for the Ranger brakes for sure.

Why Ford won't issue a TSB to do this is beyond me. My guess is not enough people complained about them to the dealerships. Another thing that gets me is I must have had the dealers check the brakes 4 or 5 times since buying the truck and every time got the same "the brakes are just fine" response. I even had one tech test the F150 and immediately test the Ranger and commented that the pedal did feel different, but it passed the stop tests so said there was nothing wrong with them.

On a side note, I am going to have to adjust the brake pedal connecting rod length a little bit now as well. Last year I adjusted it to raise the engagement point so it was even with the gas pedal. With this fix the brakes are almost too touchy and backing off a couple of threads should be just about perfect.

Last edited:

BillinPCB

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Miata, 2019 Ford Ranger Crew Cab XLT, 2019 Ford F53 Motorhome
In reading through the manual for my 2019 Ranger, I find this statement in the Pre Collision Warning section:

Note: To achieve full system performance, you must break in the braking system. See General Information (page 159).

I have read the section on Brakes General Information (page 159) several times and don’t find anything about breaking in the braking system. Does anyone know what is being referred to and just wondering if there is any connection between this and the mushy pedal?

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That refers to bedding in the brake pads, should be done initially, it will give you improved braking. the mushy pedal is a hydraulic issue, I posted earlier about the improvement after the Forscan procedure, but I think it getting mushy again, which makes sense as the air is not removed from the system, it's just scattered, I was hoping it would go into a accumulator or something.
I think the only real way to fix the pedal is to fully bleed it with the Forscan procedure.

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Okay, I have to concede, the Forscan bleed procedure did help for a while, but it did not last, I finally got the dealer to properly bleed them, NOW it's fixed, I raved about the Forscan thing at first, but really, as it's been discussed here before nothing but a proper bleeding will really fix it.
Even though I used to work there a long time ago, I had to tell the service advisor "if he NPF's it again make it a customer pay ticket or tell him I'll slip him $40, I want him to bleed the brakes" he went ahead and did it under warranty!

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Okay, I have to concede, the Forscan bleed procedure did help for a while, but it did not last, I finally got the dealer to properly bleed them, NOW it's fixed, I raved about the Forscan thing at first, but really, as it's been discussed here before nothing but a proper bleeding will really fix it.
Even though I used to work there a long time ago, I had to tell the service advisor "if he NPF's it again make it a customer pay ticket or tell him I'll slip him $40, I want him to bleed the brakes" he went ahead and did it under warranty!
NPF?? No panty Friday?

I also noticed my Forscan fix has faded.
Can the brake bleed procedure be accomplished the old school way?? Pump, pump, bleed? Or has that now become too high tech for a grease monkey?

Hellrazor

First Name
Clement
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger
Occupation
Baller
NPF?? No panty Friday?

Can the brake bleed procedure be accomplished the old school way?? Pump, pump, bleed? Or has that now become too high tech for a grease monkey?
Just do it again And then manually bleed each caliper after

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
NPF?? No panty Friday?

Pretty simple to bleed brakes. With it being a truck not sure where the bleeder valve is. Might not even need to remove the wheels.
Sponsored