Brake shudder?

Shane Bevel

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4, 1975 Ford F-250 4x4.
I do engage the parking brake when I park...didn't even think about that being a possible cause so I appreciate that perspective!

I literally never apply the parking brake. ha! And mine did the same thing.
Sponsored

PremiumB_rad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 Oxford White
I literally never apply the parking brake. ha! And mine did the same thing.
Interesting! Well that will ease my reservation with using the parking brake after any intensive braking. Still interested in learning the root cause of this then! It isn't recurring for me yet, 17k on the truck so far and I'm too early in the life of the drilled and slotted rotors to know if they will prevent that.

Shane Bevel

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And mine did the same thing with powerstop pads... it's the rotors that are the issue. Not the pads.

Interesting! Well that will ease my reservation with using the parking brake after any intensive braking. Still interested in learning the root cause of this then! It isn't recurring for me yet, 17k on the truck so far and I'm too early in the life of the drilled and slotted rotors to know if they will prevent that.

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Are the lug nuts torqued evenly?

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I am getting this too. 26k miles. I don't trust dealer techs, so it looks like I am saving for rotors and pads. I knew it was the brakes, this thread just kind of reassured me.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

I am getting concerned that there is something more going on than just rotor and pads. It may be sticking piston in the caliper is allowing too much heat generation? Don't know, but it is time for Field Service Engineering to start looking at this as a systemic problem on a small portion of the Rangers running around here in the USA. All of the Forum members with this problem, please open up a formal complaint with Ford Customer Care as a first step.

Way back, Ford Truck had a terrible problem with front brakes due to phenolic caliper pistons. On paper these pistons looked good for corrosion resistance, heat tolerance, etc. What was overlooked in the material's propensity to absorb moisture and expand, causing many, many stuck pistons and customer complaints... It took some lengthy time to id and then to fix the issue, thus fix was to just replace with new problem calipers and again resultant sticking issue...

I wonder if something like this is going on with rear brakes on our Rangers....

Best,
Phil

Shane Bevel

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are the lug nuts torqued evenly?
Unless multiple owners across the country all with Ford rangers are improperly torquing their lug nuts every 16-25k miles…. This is just not the issue. Nor is it “you drive too hard” “you ride the brake” “you drive too soft” “you tow a 3k lbs trailer” or any of the other things that Ford has thrown at us with this problem. It’s either an abs programming issue or a caliper issue I think.

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Unless multiple owners across the country all with Ford rangers are improperly torquing their lug nuts every 16-25k miles…. This is just not the issue. Nor is it “you drive too hard” “you ride the brake” “you drive too soft” “you tow a 3k lbs trailer” or any of the other things that Ford has thrown at us with this problem. It’s either an abs programming issue or a caliper issue I think.
May not be everyone's cause but could be one person's cause. Just throwing out ideas for things to check. You can take it or leave it. Doesn't matter to me.:like:

TVRangerSTX

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab XLT; 1969 Mercury Cougar convertible; Honda 500XL
Occupation
Bethlehem Steel/Self-Employed Metallurgist
I just searched brake pulsing and found this thread....because today just turned 16,000 miles on my 2019 and started to notice a shudder when braking! On the turnpike at speed when braking, also in the burbs coming to a stoplight. Was taking a lawnmower back to my daughter after having it serviced. I was assuming front rotors, but now am going to check tomorrow morning, including the rears. Don't think I had this problem since my 1971 Pinto (my first new car, junior year in college?!!) Thanks for all for the cumulative info, and Phil @P. A. Schilke . This isn't something I want to waste my own money on, hit and miss chasing the solution. Will be at the dealership shortly anyway for oil change, etc. Assuming they'll diagnose and fix!!

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Hmmm. Mine don't shudder, but they do squeal a lot. That high pitched sqeual. I figured it was all the trailer towing, and hauling.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I just searched brake pulsing and found this thread....because today just turned 16,000 miles on my 2019 and started to notice a shudder when braking! On the turnpike at speed when braking, also in the burbs coming to a stoplight. Was taking a lawnmower back to my daughter after having it serviced. I was assuming front rotors, but now am going to check tomorrow morning, including the rears. Don't think I had this problem since my 1971 Pinto (my first new car, junior year in college?!!) Thanks for all for the cumulative info, and Phil @P. A. Schilke . This isn't something I want to waste my own money on, hit and miss chasing the solution. Will be at the dealership shortly anyway for oil change, etc. Assuming they'll diagnose and fix!!
If you’re lucky there is an updated part # that will fix the problem. For me, they just bandaided it 10 times until I was out of warranty.
Sponsored