Blown Shock @ 1,200 mi

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
Hi there 5G friends, went to go target shooting with the neighbors (hope I'm not on some list now for saying that) and hit some NF gravel roads, nothing serious, was in 2wd the whole time.

Stop at a reservoir for lunch, notice black grease near the right rear bumper. Wipe it off, don't think too much of it. Get home, back into the driveway, hmm...that back end looks cock-eyed. Get out the tape, sure enough 6.5" from the rear tire to the wheel well on driver side, 9.25" on the other.

Will call Ford next week, no biggie, but kinda disappointing with only 1, 200 miles on the clock.

Sincerely,

Shocked in Stumptown
Chance to upgrade to Bilstein 5100s
Sponsored

OP
OP
Blublood

Blublood

First Name
Easy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT
Okay folks, little update. First, want to thank everyone for their replies, thoughts and suggestions. This is what this community is for.

Backed into the garage to await a call to Ford, went back out an hour later and truck is sitting level. What's up? Any thoughts?

I will take it out tomorrow (have a home improvement run to do) and if the same occurs, I will include pics so you can see what I was talking about (I have attached a pic of the grease on the inner wheelwell).

Stay tuned!

20220709_205632.jpg

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Makes no sense. Shocks are a velocity device...they do not hold up the truck. Something here is wrong... Springs hold the truck up... and once broken the vehicle does not recover normally.

We need more info.

Blown shocks are coated with oil and when you bounce the truck they offer no damping at all.

The picture you posted tells me nothing....

Phil

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
Okay folks, little update. First, want to thank everyone for their replies, thoughts and suggestions. This is what this community is for.

Backed into the garage to await a call to Ford, went back out an hour later and truck is sitting level. What's up? Any thoughts?

I will take it out tomorrow (have a home improvement run to do) and if the same occurs, I will include pics so you can see what I was talking about (I have attached a pic of the grease on the inner wheelwell).

Stay tuned!

20220709_205632.jpg
They don't use that type of grease in shocks(it's oil), thats from something else.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Also , you mentioned one side was 6 inches , the other 9 inches , if you lean a 6 over far enough, it looks like a 9 , or standing on the wrong side of the tape measure...ask me how I know ...

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
Oh I agree, I'm looking at the Fox 2.0 for the rear, but I still want Ford to make it right and spend their money to replace it first.
Excellent point. I have spent more than enough of my own money putting things on this truck that should have been stock.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Hi there 5G friends, went to go target shooting with the neighbors (hope I'm not on some list now for saying that) and hit some NF gravel roads, nothing serious, was in 2wd the whole time.

Stop at a reservoir for lunch, notice black grease near the right rear bumper. Wipe it off, don't think too much of it. Get home, back into the driveway, hmm...that back end looks cock-eyed. Get out the tape, sure enough 6.5" from the rear tire to the wheel well on driver side, 9.25" on the other.

Will call Ford next week, no biggie, but kinda disappointing with only 1, 200 miles on the clock.

Sincerely,

Shocked in Stumptown
I have my rear fx4 shocks you can have, just pay shipping. I tossed the front ones.

tgRanger

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat, 1988 Mustang GT, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
Vehicle Showcase
I have my rear fx4 shocks you can have, just pay shipping. I tossed the front ones.
I hear they make great tailgate dampers. Their a little weak so it’s one for each side. If you don’t already have one ?

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
If the rear shock had some sort of internal failure could it not have been hanging up really bad, thus pulling one side down? I have seen this before due to physical damage. Dented body, bent rod, ect. Seems like and extreme case but it could have happened.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I think there is a pretty good chance that which you see in your photo came from the road/trail.

As for the temporary lean? Just plain strange. You may have something binding in the suspension, creating an abnormal amount of stiction.

I think I would jounce the truck a bunch of times, see how the shock is working, hear any strange noises when you jounce it up and down, etc., see if anything is binding.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I think there is a pretty good chance that which you see in your photo came from the road/trail.

As for the temporary lean? Just plain strange. You may have something binding in the suspension, creating an abnormal amount of stiction.

I think I would jounce the truck a bunch of times, see how the shock is working, hear any strange noises when you jounce it up and down, etc., see if anything is binding.
One of the shock valves could have been stuck shut and that “could” hold the truck down under certain circumstances. It’s plausible that you overheated the stock shock and it froze up temporarily, but I think that would take a lot of long term heavy dampening.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
The shock does NOT have grease in it, it has a light grade of oil, what your photo shows is a much heavier grease, such as used in the wheel bearings and drive shafts. You have something else going on, better take it in and get it checked.
Sponsored

Last edited: