First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
One of the shock valves could have been stuck shut and that “could” hold the truck down under certain circumstances. It’s plausible that you overheated the stock shock and it froze up temporarily, but I think that would take a lot of long term heavy dampening.
I have never seen a shock failure (other than from a crash where the shock itself was damaged) where the shock stuck in a compressed state. Not saying it can't happen, I just have never seen it. Usually, when a shock gets really overheated, the seals breakdown and the shock looses bump and rebound control and things get really bouncy. I suppose he could have gotten a defective shock whose internal dimensions are such that when it heats up, it binds badly. Again, I have never seen that, but it seems like a possibility.
Sponsored

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Besides the picture of grease on the fender trim, do you have a picture of the shock or any part of the underside of the rear of your truck? If it’s throwing up gobs of grease, that’s a big deal.

Anything look like this under there?

842B7EEF-57AB-4D33-AC64-DB54D36A4B60.jpeg
B2F1D4DB-F33D-4261-B530-C0389EE4F087.jpeg

or worse…like this…..

0FF3D1E7-BF4B-4608-B3D5-9CAA44E76D43.jpeg

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

I think I wrote on this before but don't remember....

In 2003 Model year we faced exploding rear shocks. We were in process of bringing Monroe on board for 2003 model year. We were at whits ends on a rash of durability vehicle shock explosions...what a mess. The suspension design Supervisor was new to the game and she was in a panic, so I took her down to Monroe test lab in Monroe Michigan...not too far from the Engineering Complex in Dearborn. The Monroe engineers were panicked and baffled too. So I came up with a plan to set up a series of shocks with load cells, 20 in all on a test fixture that would cycle all 20 and if a shock in the test set up had a sudden increase in load, the fixture would shut down and the shock removed and torn down. It took Monroe about 2 days to get the fixture up and running. The following day they had a shut down of the fixture....carefully dismantled the shock and we had our answer. It was the O ring on the shock piston that expanded and plugged all the passages in the shock valving. Then we dismantled a shock from the 2002 Ranger rear shocks and found out that the O ring was actually a V ring not an O ring. That was the answer and once Monroe had modified shocks, the exploding shocks were left behind.... And we did not compromise Job#1 2003...

Best,
Phil

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
Makes no sense. Shocks are a velocity device...they do not hold up the truck. Something here is wrong... Springs hold the truck up... and once broken the vehicle does not recover normally.

We need more info.

Blown shocks are coated with oil and when you bounce the truck they offer no damping at all.

The picture you posted tells me nothing....

Phil
Could be a cv joint or axle boot

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Could be a cv joint or axle boot
Its in the back which is solid axle definitely not a cv as there are none back there but yeah that isn't shock fluid I think our guy did some raptor esque jumps and doesnt wanna admit it or he blasted one side on a log going fast

Fritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL
Check for bent leaf spring/shackle.

BS67

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Eye Tech, 2A supporter, USMC "Doc" '89-'95
This reminds me.........friend of mine and his Harley Davidson.......he took great care of it...........I'd keep a quart of his oil brand in the pickup........whenever I saw he and his bike and he wasn't around I'd slip that quart of oil out and pour a small amount on the ground beneath it and take a finger swab of oil under the primary. Drove him nuts! (I used to be ornery!)

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
This reminds me.........friend of mine and his Harley Davidson.......he took great care of it...........I'd keep a quart of his oil brand in the pickup........whenever I saw he and his bike and he wasn't around I'd slip that quart of oil out and pour a small amount on the ground beneath it and take a finger swab of oil under the primary. Drove him nuts! (I used to be ornery!)
The older ones would do this without your help. lol

OP
OP
Blublood

Blublood

First Name
Easy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT
Snapped some pics this morning since taking it out and the lean came back. You an see about a 2.5" difference in the shock compression between driver and passenger side and the leaf bumper is clearly much closer to the spring in driver vs passenger.

The rear undercarriage is clean as a bell, can't clearly find any source of the grease or any other spray beside that on the fender well and rear quarter. Oh well, will take it in and see what the verdict is.

20220710_113507.jpg

20220710_113528.jpg

20220710_113626.jpg

20220710_113617.jpg

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Snapped some pics this morning since taking it out and the lean came back. You an see about a 2.5" difference in the shock compression between driver and passenger side and the leaf bumper is clearly much closer to the spring in driver vs passenger.

The rear undercarriage is clean as a bell, can't clearly find any source of the grease or any other spray beside that on the fender well and rear quarter. Oh well, will take it in and see what the verdict is.

20220710_113507.jpg

20220710_113528.jpg

20220710_113626.jpg

20220710_113617.jpg
A number of folks have mentioned your leaf springs - a full length picture of each leaf including their mounting points might be helpful.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired

20220710_113507.jpg

20220710_113528.jpg

20220710_113626.jpg

20220710_113617.jpg
I know this is a stupid question, but...

You double checked and are sure you don't have something heavy in the bed that maybe shifted over to the drivers side?

The reason I ask is one day I was walking down the driveway toward the garage and noticed a perceptible lean to the left on my new Ranger. It was a real head scratcher until I realized I had left some 5 gallon buckets full of spent pistol brass I had retrieved from our storage locker that I planned to give to my arborist (who is an active practical pistol competitor). I had left them in as I planned to drive them to his truck when he came to cut down some dead trees we had on one of our lots, and of course, forgot I had them back there. When I took the brass out, it leveled right back up.

Mine is an FX4 which is sprung a little softer, I think, than the straight Ranger.

Just a shot in the dark.

Last edited: