Blown Shock @ 1,200 mi

Blublood

First Name
Easy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT
Hi there 5G friends, went to go target shooting with the neighbors (hope I'm not on some list now for saying that) and hit some NF gravel roads, nothing serious, was in 2wd the whole time.

Stop at a reservoir for lunch, notice black grease near the right rear bumper. Wipe it off, don't think too much of it. Get home, back into the driveway, hmm...that back end looks cock-eyed. Get out the tape, sure enough 6.5" from the rear tire to the wheel well on driver side, 9.25" on the other.

Will call Ford next week, no biggie, but kinda disappointing with only 1, 200 miles on the clock.

Sincerely,

Shocked in Stumptown
Sponsored

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Some come with a factory installed lean to them. Mine has a shim on the left side that Ford put on to avoid that.

Grease all the way to the bumper, holy crap.. did the shock explode?

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Makes no sense. The shock isn’t holding the truck up, the spring is.

OP
OP
Blublood

Blublood

First Name
Easy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT
Nope, it's all in one piece, just sitting a heck of a lot lower on the sleeve than the passenger side.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
That's unfortunate this happened with just 1,200 miles but luckily you're still covered under warranty. Hopefully they can get it fixed quickly for you.

tgRanger

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat, 1988 Mustang GT, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
Vehicle Showcase
These shocks were blown from the factory. Yours just now leak. It’s a godsend. Forget the dealership and get rid of them all together, their basically junk. Frank over at Stage3 will hook you up with some excellent choice replacements. I went with Eibach myself and my goodness I couldn’t be happier.

OP
OP
Blublood

Blublood

First Name
Easy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT
These shocks were blown from the factory. Yours just now leak. It’s a godsend. Forget the dealership and get rid of them all together, their basically junk. Frank over at Stage3 will hook you up with some excellent choice replacements. I went with Eibach myself and my goodness I couldn’t be happier.
Oh I agree, I'm looking at the Fox 2.0 for the rear, but I still want Ford to make it right and spend their money to replace it first.

LB'sTremor

First Name
Loren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Iconic Lariat Tremor
Occupation
IT
Hmm dosen't make sense especially that much difference. How do the springs look? and your sure the grease is from the shock? unless it is seized holding the truck down the lean is not from the shock. How does it ride? I think you would have noticed.

I am with @Rp930

LB

tgRanger

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat, 1988 Mustang GT, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Oh I agree, I'm looking at the Fox 2.0 for the rear, but I still want Ford to make it right and spend their money to replace it first.
I get what your saying but to me my times more valuable and the less they touch my truck the better. Not like anyone would give you a penny for yours new once you remove them. But good luck ?

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Odd - you might find yourself asking, “Are my leafs borked?”

Good Luck at the dealer.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing serious... ?

1657412996840.jpeg

You're on the good list BTW...go all the way and get a set of TGD...hope you get this figured out...I'm thinking it can't be just the shock...spring and frame holds the axle in position...

Last edited:

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Another option here is if the shock is indeed defective I would see if they’ll give you credit for warranty replacement and put that towards a pair of Ford Performance Fox 2.0’s and pay the balance with your Ford points!

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
The stock shocks are crap as already stated. When I pulled my rears off, I could compress them really easily. One of them had a dead spot where there was no resistance at all. They do provide a little lift since they self expand when you release them. Just can't see them allowing that much droop.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Get out the tape, sure enough 6.5" from the rear tire to the wheel well on driver side, 9.25" on the other.
If you completely remove the shock absorber you will not get that kind of lean. More than likely you damaged the leaf spring or some other suspension component.
Sponsored