Bilstein 5100 Adjustable Leveling Shock Kit

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
Yeah, that's doesn't seem accurate, since the overall strut stays the same length, the lift is achieved by preloading the spring? i mean it would be right, except the top hat of the strut has not moved.

Yeah you are correct, I edited my post. I was trying to say what you said, but explained it wrong. Thanks for setting me straight! BowWow had explained it well, but IMHO went a little off course in his explanation. If pre load is increased drastically it could take too much vehicle weight off that strut and then give the feeling of too much harshness. I think that is why it was stated to put the spacer on top for some applications, but with the amount of factory rake I can't see that being an issue on the Ranger, even on the highest spring perch. IDK?? I agree that the stock "FX" shocks are trash. The rebound dampening is, well, absent. I'll link a good article that helps it make sense (to me).

Coilovers & what you've gotten wrong explained..
Sponsored

Last edited:

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
For me it was a good price point and does have the option for a lift. Specs show .8ā€ lift to 2.75ā€ lift. I put it on 1.2ā€ lift and itā€™s perfect for me.

Did you get your alignment checked after the install? I am wondering how much it changed on the 1.2" #3 perch setting. Gonna do my install soon and wondering on the alignment. Thanks!!

EDIT: Okay, got everything installed and had alignment checked. Before: Caster, both sides 3.4* ( Spec 1.7-3.2*) Camber .3* both sides ( Spec -.7* to .8*) Toe .40* & .05* Total Toe .45* (Spec -.10* to .10*, Total Toe -.20* to .20*).

After: Caster L= 2.6* R= 2.8*, Camber L=.4* R .3*, Toe 0.00* L&R, total toe 0.00*.

So it appears my toe was out slightly as well as caster. I don't see, looking at the truck where they adjusted anything other than tie rods, so not sure how caster changed?? I would have liked a 0* after camber...?

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Did you get your alignment checked after the install? I am wondering how much it changed on the 1.2" #3 perch setting. Gonna do my install soon and wondering on the alignment. Thanks!!
With any change to the front suspension(exception with tires and wheels) you will NEED to have an alignment done. Even with just a small lift up front you have to get it aligned. Hope this helps

OP
OP

gobaylor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCW
Occupation
Owner Dunkinā€™/Baskin-Robbins
I did get an alignment. Not sure how much it was out but didnā€™t want to take any chances.

JG13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT FX4 2020
Do the 5100 Bilsteins add any lift automatically once installed since they are 1 inch longer than the factory FX4 shocks? I'd like to stay stock height, just simply upgrade to better shocks.

OP
OP

gobaylor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCW
Occupation
Owner Dunkinā€™/Baskin-Robbins
Do the 5100 Bilsteins add any lift automatically once installed since they are 1 inch longer than the factory FX4 shocks? I'd like to stay stock height, just simply upgrade to better shocks.
My understanding is that if you leave the shock on its factory setting it is a very minimal difference if any at all. They are advertised as 0ā€ to 2.75ā€ of adjustment. I adjusted mine to the 3rd slot. Iā€™m not towing anything super heavy and wanted to get rid of most of the rake.

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier SV in Tactical Green Metallic
Occupation
Cool Dude
No change. The measured height to wheel lip exactly was the same as stock on lowest setting, where they were adjusted to when received. Chris.

Last edited:

TXFX2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Metallic 302A FX2
Just had the Bilstein 5100 installed all the way around on a 2020 FX2, installation took only a few hours and the ride improvement is quite substantial. Wish you could spec the truck out like this from the factory. On top of that, having the truck level feels much better.

Lost19Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 PKG
Occupation
Sales
Just so Iā€™m understanding this kit with stock springs will give me a coil over like level lift? With needing spacers?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just so Iā€™m understanding this kit with stock springs will give me a coil over like level lift? With needing spacers?
You do not need spacers with the Bilstein kit. It has a coloring they can go to different levels on the shock body which allows the different height settings. Also because of the suspension design on our trucks the front is already a coilover type design.

Lost19Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
You do not need spacers with the Bilstein kit. It has a coloring they can go to different levels on the shock body which allows the different height settings. Also because of the suspension design on our trucks the front is already a coilover type design.
this is what I was hoping for I was going to go with a 3ā€ spacer lift but I feel that this is a better option right? As for any Trail riding and on road performance

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
this is what I was hoping for I was going to go with a 3ā€ spacer lift but I feel that this is a better option right? As for any Trail riding and on road performance
You are correct sir, a spacer lift is a horrible way for offroad and can negatively affect overall suspension performance.

I myself went with the Old Man EMU lift by ARB and it does great!! The front is lifted by 2.4 inches and the rear by 1.6 inches. I have more than enough clearance with that for offroad while still having good control on the road with and without towing.

For Bilstein is is going to be nice as I have had a truck with Bilsteins and it was a good comfortable ride. For offroad I still prefer a lift over a leveling kit for clearance reasons. Yes you lift the front but the rear doesnt change position so depending on the trail you hit you have a higher chance of hitting things you dont want to. That is my out look on this but I wont argue that Bilstein makes a nice shock.

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger xlt 4x4
Occupation
Floor Supv
Vehicle Showcase
I set my front Bilstein 5100 to the third slot up (1.2) , it gave me 1.5 front lift according to before and after measurements, also reusing factory coils, just the right amount of leveling and the ride is far superior, also the shop charged me for 3 labor hrs at $80 hr in NC.

9D325629-ABB3-4578-ADD7-FD53C2DA7286.jpeg

745456E7-3DC6-47AA-919B-86BAF7DCF262.jpeg

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I set my front Bilstein 5100 to the third slot up (1.2) , it gave me 1.5 front lift according to before and after measurements, also reusing factory coils, just the right amount of leveling and the ride is far superior, also the shop charged me for 3 labor hrs at $80 hr in NC.

Looks perfect to me.

Lost19Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales

exactly what I was thinking, although I will be going to the full 2.5ā€. Yours looks really good Iā€™m planning on changing out the crash bars and going with 285/70/17 wild peaks with the lift.
Sponsored