briwill70

briwill70

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Thanks for the input. I don't think a throttle commander is for me. If I'm going to improve the truck, extra horsepower is welcome but not at the cost of reliability.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Thanks for the input. I don't think a throttle commander is for me. If I'm going to improve the truck, extra horsepower is welcome but not at the cost of reliability.
Then the Ford tune is what you want. Retains your warranty and just enough added hp/tq for what you're looking for.

Or you could add a damper, it works for those who have one. ?

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Ford tune. Works great. No brainer.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
23-25k miles since 500 miles brand new on FP tune.. No complaints other than thinking if I want 15 more hp with Livernois on 91 octane... I keep shaking off the thought saying I will get myself in trouble or blow a rod with the stupid ways I step on the gas.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Thanks, I'll edit my other post. :like:
HAHA! I just ordered the EVC unit, and for giggles I did a google for coupon codes, and one popped up: YOURMOM

I put that code in and got 10% off! $209 - 20.90 = 188.10

google for the win.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
Then the Ford tune is what you want. Retains your warranty and just enough added hp/tq for what you're looking for.

Or you could add a damper, it works for those who have one. ?
Well.... it only retains 3 years of the warranty. It does NOT retain the 5 year warranty, as far as I could tell, which is why I decided to not go that route.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Well.... it only retains 3 years of the warranty. It does NOT retain the 5 year warranty, as far as I could tell, which is why I decided to not go that route.
FP does plenty testing with their products before they release it under their name, forgot where I read on how many parameters they test... They don't want reputation of blowing rods. I will report back in 80k+ miles because I drive stupidly hard on it and no problems yet. Even tossed E30 fuel in it for a few months.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
With that said I suggest one of two tunes to get.

#1 Ford Performance. You do get an extra bump in power and you can still tow as needed. Just be aware with the warranty(I have already verified this guys) the powertrain warranty will be down graded to 3 year 36,000 miles. It will still be intact wich is better then nothing but you still need to be aware.

#2 Livernois. The first advantage is it cost a little less than Ford Performance. Second you do get a bunch of tunes(5 in total). I personally run the Tow tune wich is a flex tune that allows 87 to 93 octane just like if the truck was stock. I have had the tune for over 30,000 miles and havent had an issue(the Ford Performance tune will probably do the same just fine). A couple of down sides. If you re-flash to a different tune the transmission will take a bunch of time to relearn. It sucks so thats why I stay on the tow tune. Also if you were to have any powertrain problems and Ford sees the tune they can make you pay every penny for the repairs.

Thats my input.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
FP does plenty testing with their products before they release it under their name, forgot where I read on how many parameters they test... They don't want reputation of blowing rods. I will report back in 80k+ miles because I drive stupidly hard on it and no problems yet. Even tossed E30 fuel in it for a few months.
I'm sure. I'm not a performance monkey. If the ford tune kept the full 5 year power train warranty I would have one already. I'm happy with the truck as-is, and a tune would be cool, but I'm not giving up 2 years of warranty. That's just me, but I'm sure it would be great and probably never an issue, I'm just not doing it. YMMV.

I did just buy a EVC throttle controller thingie though :)

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
im calling for an immediate ban for constantly derailing threads....this madness has to stop.
So it's ok if I go back and delete all your useless thread derailing posts? :oops::wink:

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
as some of the other guys have said the ford performance tune is well worth it and sounds like what you want. I did it and have zero regret. made the truck more enjoyable to drive and cuts the gear hunts in half. mpg went up a bit, power went up a bit and the option to monitor all the parameters/gauges or adjust for tire size is a nice add in. Lots of good tuners and tune shops these days, the livernoise is popular and i hear good things about it but never tried it so cant say. although i hear the ford tune and livernoise are close cousins. either one would likely make you happy.

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
The Ford Performance tune does NOT shorten your warranty to 3 years. It’s only 3yrs/36,000mi if they can prove the Ford tune caused the issue (which is highly unlikely considering it has Ford’s name on it). I have the tune and it is absolutely fantastic

CoachJ

First Name
Rhett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Teacher/Coach
I had the Ford tune coupled with the Pedal Commander and it was night and day difference from stock. Hell, for what you stated you're looking for in your original post, the Pedal Commander may be all you need. I don't know how anyone who has owned one can say they're a waste. It makes it feel more "old school" in my opinion - as in, when you press the gas pedal, it goes - no lag and doesn't feel bogged down by the electronic nannies. And you can set it at whatever sensitivity you want. Nothing unreliable about it, as if it does happen to fail, you just unplug it and you're back to stock. I sold my truck but still have mine hoping to put it in my next Ford, which will be my third Ford to use it in as I used it in my previous truck, a 2013 F150.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I've had my Ranger for 6 mos now and I've worked through most of the things that bother me about the truck. My biggest gripe now is the terrible throttle response and shifting characteristics. Is there a moderate TUNE out there that will help with this? I'm not looking to race the thing, I just want it to move when I press the gas. Sport mode is definitely better but I don't want it to hold the shifts quite so long.
Members have been debating this since the creation of tunes, but, based on my experience, the Ford Performance tune improves the throttle response and shifting characteristics without any warranty issues. D becomes S, so to speak, and S becomes O [Out of This World]. That being said, I do not race, tow, or haul--I just wanted my daily drive and road trips to be more fun, and they are!
Sponsored