"Instant shift" tune for manual shifting in sport?

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
Is there any sort of tune that gets rid of that bastard of a delay while shifting manually in sport mode? Increased firmness would be cool too.

Really want that 'TH350 with a shift kit' feel.
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Is there any sort of tune that gets rid of that bastard of a delay while shifting manually in sport mode? Increased firmness would be cool too.

Really want that 'TH350 with a shift kit' feel.
I'd trade you if I could...WOT in sport will chirp my rears in second...stock!

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Doubt it will happen. Even when trying to manually shift the truck you are really just giving a request. After said request it in the computer determines whether or not to approve or deny you said request. Unfortunately with that said there will always be said delay.

RangerFitz

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 fx2
Occupation
Danger
Any tune will do, I run OZ for their trans tuning. Chirping third is pretty cool.

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
If you find a solution, let us know as I consider mine slow to shift in manual mode too. Other Ford's I've driven with manual mode felt the same. Having driven cars with a dct trans in the past has spoiled me on shift quickness.

MrBirdman330

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XL STX Special Edition
Occupation
Letter Carrier
Doubt it will happen. Even when trying to manually shift the truck you are really just giving a request. After said request it in the computer determines whether or not to approve or deny you said request. Unfortunately with that said there will always be said delay.
Bingo, it's why I personally hate automatics because of that. I got really irate at my Camry when driving through Wyoming on I80 West because there are sections with very slight inclines. The transmission would shift down to 4th gear. I put it in manual mode and shifted to 5th as it did not need to go down two gears. Not even ten seconds later right back to 4th gear and excessively high rpms. My requests to shift back to 5th were denied. So I had to listen to roughly 3300k rpms opposed to roughly 2800k rpms in 5th. Year before I had a Jeep Liberty Manual 6spd. Never even downshifted except when I got to Parley Pass outside Salt Lake City. Then 5th gear was too low to climb 6th was too high.

LB'sTremor

First Name
Loren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Iconic Lariat Tremor
Occupation
IT
WOT in sport will chirp my rears in second...stock!
Seriously? you can chirp the tires in these things?

LB

LB'sTremor

First Name
Loren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Iconic Lariat Tremor
Occupation
IT
Do you own one? ? It’s all I did when pulling into traffic for the first week of owning.
not tuned and 1800 miles on it so I guess I need to try it!:like:

Last edited:

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I use manual mode a lot, and not just at the track. My suspension is dead stock, and the tires are Michelin LTs, and stock size!!! If I just manually shift at light throttle @ 2,000 RPM, the shift takes about 2 seconds. At full throttle, @ 2,000 RPM, the shift is almost instant. But remember! We're talking fuzzy logic, so don't expect the latter to occur, if you've been pussy-footing around before hand. Fact is, drive like an old maid school teacher, and after a few shifts, you won't feel the shifts, even if you're waiting for them.

At the track, launches don't produce a lot of wheel spin, unless you torque up the converter. But with a tune and other goodies under the hood, the 1 to 2 shift is rather harsh, with a lot of tire spin, even on a glued track. The 2 to 3 is also harsh. The 3 to 4, not so much.

OP
OP
Blmpkn

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
This is what I was figuring... but at the same time was hoping the tune could over-ride the whole approval procedure. Lame.
Sponsored