Bed Extender

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
The correct choice is to use a “chasertap. A cutting tap is designed to create new threads, whereas a chaser tap is designed to clean, re-form and restore existing threads.
To my knowledge there is no such thing as a "Chaser" Tap. Of the two shown later in this tread the one with a Blunt nose is a blind hole tap which is used when hole does not go through the material. The point od the tow is used when the hole goes all the way through. Blind hole taps are a little more difficult because they don't center as easily during the start.

Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 9.19.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 9.24.00 AM.png
Sponsored

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
To my knowledge there is no such thing as a "Chaser" Tap. Of the two shown later in this tread the one with a Blunt nose is a blind hole tap which is used when hole does not go through the material. The point od the tow is used when the hole goes all the way through. Blind hole taps are a little more difficult because they don't center as easily during the start.

Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 9.19.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 9.24.00 AM.png
Dan there are chaser taps,they just clean threads and not cut them. Bret

Scoopo

First Name
Scoop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew
Occupation
IT Support Technician
I installed the Amp research yesterday. It was easy just had to drill two holes in the factory drop in bedliner.
6gUJ0xC.jpg
wTTvpHO.jpg
So you just drilled the holes and bolted through the drop-in bed liner?
I'll be installing mine tomorrow and have been looking for pics of an install with the drop-in liner. I was thinking I might need to cut a notch out of the liner on each side with a Dremel. Haven't really looked closely at the liner or the extender yet. (just got it and it's been raining all week)
Looking forward to getting this installed!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
So you just drilled the holes and bolted through the drop-in bed liner?
I'll be installing mine tomorrow and have been looking for pics of an install with the drop-in liner. I was thinking I might need to cut a notch out of the liner on each side with a Dremel. Haven't really looked closely at the liner or the extender yet. (just got it and it's been raining all week)
Looking forward to getting this installed!
I have the drop in bed liner and you can install it without notching it out. I actually have my bed extender from my Tacoma (the mounting brackets are different from the Ford ones) and I use it just about everyday and it's held up fine. The Ford mounting brackets are a lot better as the plate screws right into the factory threads. Mine I had to remove the taillights,drill through the liner and the metal to make my own holes and then just used the original nuts/bolts.

IMG_1983.jpg

Scoopo

First Name
Scoop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew
Occupation
IT Support Technician
I have the drop in bed liner and you can install it without notching it out. I actually have my bed extender from my Tacoma (the mounting brackets are different from the Ford ones) and I use it just about everyday and it's held up fine. The Ford mounting brackets are a lot better as the plate screws right into the factory threads. Mine I had to remove the taillights,drill through the liner and the metal to make my own holes and then just used the original nuts/bolts.

IMG_1983.jpg
Perfect! Thanks for the picture.
Looks like this will be as simple and painless as I'd hoped.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

Anytime! Your's will be much easier than mine was. I always try to retro things that are perfectly good and reuse them if I can because I'm (cough, cough) frugal. :)

Last edited:

JoeDirt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt
That's all I did, the kit came with a plastic washer, so I just didn't use the washer and used the bedliner. I also put some blue lock tight on the bolts.

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat Fx4-Lotus Evora-Lotus Elise-BMW X7 M
Mine just arrived today! Got the MAX one as I wanted more space and it was nice to see it works with the MX4. I have to haul some boxed furniture and the pieces are a little too long for the bed. From the pics it looks great installed!

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Installed this morning and working as intended!
20200314_115342.jpg

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Installed this morning and working as intended!
20200314_115342.jpg
I bet you'll find yourself using it a lot,they come in handy for a lot of different uses. I leave mine flipped inside the bed and use it all the time to corral stuff from going all over the place.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
anyone notice that the sport version is no longer on the Fore website?
I had a std version on my Frontier the sport version makes no sense.
Hopefully Ford will switch to the HD Max version so I can use my Ford Pass points

UncleBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 2WD in Magnetic
Occupation
Retired
I am wondering if the pivot point (and pin) on the Max Extender would line up and work with the pin socket from an OEM Sport extender? I have the original sport extender but am not satisfied with the wasted 'unusable' space of the tailgate due to the significant angle of the pieces. if the Max model will drop right in the socket, I might be tempter to order one for more flexibility.

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@UncleBob I just went out and measured for you. It is roughly 10" from the floor of the truck bed to the center of the pivot. Even if it doesnt fit....it wouldn't take much more than 10mins to swap out the brackets. The mounting points would be the same and it's just turning a socket wrench.

I did look at the install manual for the sport version...everything looks to be the same except for the shape of the extender itself.
Sponsored