First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT Lux
Occupation
IT System Analyst II
Funny you posted this; I just ordered one of those bed extenders from Amazon to transport my 2 kayaks. Longest one is 12'. They had really good reviews. I should have it in a day or two and can report back.
Sponsored

Buckethead

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Tremor XLT, 21 Jeep GC, 87 Alfa Spider
Occupation
Tire Manufacturing
Funny you posted this; I just ordered one of those bed extenders from Amazon to transport my 2 kayaks. Longest one is 12'. They had really good reviews. I should have it in a day or two and can report back.
How'd it work?

WV_Ranger

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Assume you mean the kind that goes in your trailer hitch. Haven't done 16 footer in my ranger but used to do it in my short bed Chevy all the time. No problems just remember it's back there and don't take no steep decent lol.

Hauled 13' kayak this way a lot in ranger before my shoulder went south. Had no problems.

Ymmv

Mike

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
Assume you mean the kind that goes in your trailer hitch. Haven't done 16 footer in my ranger but used to do it in my short bed Chevy all the time. No problems just remember it's back there and don't take no steep decent lol.

Hauled 13' kayak this way a lot in ranger before my shoulder went south. Had no problems.

Ymmv

Mike
Ugh, I'm with you on the shoulder issues, really sucks ...

We went from normal solid kayaks to inflatables because raising them to the roof of a Corolla was just too painful (for my shoulders and the dings I was making to that car!).

The kayaks are much nicer than I imagined and incredibly rigid - no regrets and far easier to transport (one of the main reasons for getting a Ranger).

pair of 35 pound 12'10" RazorLites

1675176917125.png

1675177000710.png

WV_Ranger

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Ugh, I'm with you on the shoulder issues, really sucks ...

We went from normal solid kayaks to inflatables because raising them to the roof of a Corolla was just too painful (for my shoulders and the dings I was making to that car!).

The kayaks are much nicer than I imagined and incredibly rigid - no regrets and far easier to transport (one of the main reasons for getting a Ranger).

pair of 35 pound 12'10" RazorLites

1675176917125.png

1675177000710.png
Yeah. I could paddle 20 minutes and be in agony for 2 days. I decided getting a cortisone shot in each shoulder wasn't so fun and sold my sit on top fishing yak. Now I'm thinking I need a boat Lol I will miss the float trips and quiet mornings drinking coffee on the ohio river and watching the sun come up while silently floating.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
game publisher
Yeah. I could paddle 20 minutes and be in agony for 2 days. I decided getting a cortisone shot in each shoulder wasn't so fun and sold my sit on top fishing yak. Now I'm thinking I need a boat Lol I will miss the float trips and quiet mornings drinking coffee on the ohio river and watching the sun come up while silently floating.
Same here but I can go about two hours and then I ice my shoulders every night for a week afterwards.

We've started thinking about a Tahoe 16 with Soupie-like red trim.

BUT .. that's a huge difference from a relaxing and slow day o the water. What you said is exactly what's so appealing about kayaking.

1675181771796.png

WV_Ranger

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Same here but I can go about two hours and then I ice my shoulders every night for a week afterwards.

We've started thinking about a Tahoe 16 with Soupie-like red trim.

BUT .. that's a huge difference from a relaxing and slow day o the water. What you said is exactly what's so appealing about kayaking.

1675181771796.png
Agreed. Relaxation was always the best part of canoeing and kayaking for me. I'm torn on to get a boat or not lol. I'd like a 16 ft pontoon or a simple 16 foot john with a console but Holy smokes I can't fathom the money they want for a boat. U could buy like 2 or 3 more rangers!! For now I'm regulated to shore fishing.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
game publisher
Agreed. Relaxation was always the best part of canoeing and kayaking for me. I'm torn on to get a boat or not lol. I'd like a 16 ft pontoon or a simple 16 foot john with a console but Holy smokes I can't fathom the money they want for a boat. U could buy like 2 or 3 more rangers!! For now I'm regulated to shore fishing.
The base on that Tahoe is $22K and I also really like the the SeaDoo Swicth starting at $22K but that quickly grew to the mid $30Ks with options. The Tahoe is pretty nicely equipped at its price.

But it's basically the cost of my Ranger, so really hard to actually pull the trigger on ...

1675198215992.png
Sponsored