First Name
Tyler W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Operator
I saw a movie with a plot like this recently. Except it ended up with a front end loader burying the vehicle and dead driver in a farmers field.
Lol... I’m a fairly big guy, so I don’t worry too much, plus us Canadians are a little less murdery, just a little more weird when we do the murdering... I used to work at an airport and if you chatted pilots up enough they’d sometimes offer to take you up for a circuit. Had some fun rides in old vintage Harvard’s and a T6 (I think it’s a t6) and an Albatross jet trainer... ended up the guy lived about an hour away and had some cool old planes, and a helicopter. He was batshit insane but ended up inviting me and my now ex wife on his boat (yeah at the time I was worried where that was going too). I don’t know, I am sort of chatty and don’t always see the weirder motives for things in people... I guess I sort of trust people too much. I haven’t had anything odd actually happen to me, that I wasn’t able to take care of myself. When I was a kid it’s how I ended up going to a party at Dan Aykeroids new house up here with my sister and parents... I guess I am naive to the world with somethings.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
When I was a kid it’s how I ended up going to a party at Dan Aykeroids new house up here with my sister and parents... I guess I am naive to the world with somethings.
In the US we spell Dan Aykeroid as Dan Aykroyd. the former resembles hemorrhoids as bit too much for my liking. Did Dan serve his Cyrstal Head Tequila and Vodka to you at the party , I've seen it in a liquor store but never drank it.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Correct !
Doesn't the manual say you can shift into 4 wd at speeds up to 68 mph.

there are videos of guys doing quarter mile runs in 4x4 which probably isn't ideal but I'd guess it's safe since it's in a straight line. Turn off 4x4 while coasting down at a speed under 68. You may need to come to a near stop before turning into the return road to allow it kick out of engagement.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Doesn't the manual say you can shift into 4 wd at speeds up to 68 mph.

there are videos of guys doing quarter mile runs in 4x4 which probably isn't ideal but I'd guess it's safe since it's in a straight line. Turn off 4x4 while coasting down at a speed under 68. You may need to come to a near stop before turning into the return road to allow it kick out of engagement.
Yes, I was referring to launching in 2wd, traction control off.
Regards

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Doesn't the manual say you can shift into 4 wd at speeds up to 68 mph.......
Yes on page 157:
You can move the control between 2H to
4H at a stop or when driving up to 68 mph
(110 km/h).

Which seems a bit bizarre and overly specific, don't you think? 50, 60, or 70 mph... sure good round numbers... but 68? Weird.

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
Yes on page 157:
(110 km/h).

Which seems a bit bizarre and overly specific, don't you think? 50, 60, or 70 mph... sure good round numbers... but 68? Weird.
I'm guessing that the manual was written with km/h spec's, and later converted for us lowly anti-metric folk.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Was

Wasn’t exactly isolated... actually it’s right behind a big power centre here... Got the dashcam of it if you want I will pull it off eventually.
I believe it. There’s a lot of unfinished highways around that don’t have traffic flowing through it. Fun story you’ll remember.

Reactions: Doc

Turbotom1052

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Screw
Occupation
Retired
He'll get the same realization how quick the Ranger is if you let off when you reach the speed limit.

Use your head... a reckless operation ticket is some serious shit.
Letting off when you get to the speed limit does not always work. Years ago I got pulled over when I hammered my go pedal after the light turned green. When the cop asked for license and registration I responded with " I never exceeded the speed limit" His response was to write me up for reckless driving. I tried to talk my way out of it by saying that "it doesn't matter how quick I get to the speed limit as long as I dont go over" He disagreed, as he was handing me the ticket.. It would appear that there are provisions for Leos to make a judgment call, and are given lots of lattituted when evaluating a motorists driving habits. The reckless ticket stood up in the small town New Jersey courtroom where I decided to fight it!!!

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Letting off when you get to the speed limit does not always work. Years ago I got pulled over when I hammered my go pedal after the light turned green. When the cop asked for license and registration I responded with " I never exceeded the speed limit" His response was to write me up for reckless driving. I tried to talk my way out of it by saying that "it doesn't matter how quick I get to the speed limit as long as I dont go over" He disagreed, as he was handing me the ticket.. It would appear that there are provisions for Leos to make a judgment call, and are given lots of lattituted when evaluating a motorists driving habits. The reckless ticket stood up in the small town New Jersey courtroom where I decided to fight it!!!
Writing you up for "Reckless Operation" sounds like a dick head move by the cop unless there is more to the story....... but.... tell us more about what you were driving, and how you were driving. Is there more to your story? Bone stock vehicle? Stock Exhaust? Tires squeeling? In a school zone? Had you and Barney had run ins before? :p Was Andy on vacation that day?

In a stock Ranger, you wouldn't get pulled over for mashing the go pedal to the floor in Sport Mode, if you are at or below the speed limit.

Now if your driving your '69 SS Camaro with full length headers and header mufflers, and you dump the clutch, tires squalling and back end drifting... sure Johnny Law will make an example of you.

In some respect though I get what you are saying. When I was 16 I got pulled over and ticketed for a "Show Of Acceleration". I had shoulder length blond hair and was driving my jacked up '70 Nova with mag wheels. The car was a 230 6 Banger, with split exhaust. The car was unable to produce a quality "Show of Acceleration". But it was a good learning lesson for me.

001.JPG

Last edited:

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Yes on page 157:
(110 km/h).

68 mph comes out to a nice round 100 ft/sec.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I got pulled over in Wyoming one time driving a company truck that was from Canada, missing a few key pieces of documentation and DG placards.
threatened with arrest on a long weekend, and no court date till earlier in the week, I was forced to drive to the truck stop down the road, withdraw the $1700 in fines in cash and pay the officer.
I was now free to continue driving, even though none of the defects were rectified, and he said as he walked away "the local school system thanks your for your donation"

I guess I was ok with it...the kids could get new pencils and shit....but what a joke that experience was.
My wife was pulled over in the middle of the deep south years ago. Cop (boss Hog) wrote her a ticket for *whatever* and told her to send payment to an address via check made out to the judge. She never paid it.

Turbotom1052

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Screw
Occupation
Retired
Writing you up for "Reckless Operation" sounds like a dick head move by the cop unless there is more to the story....... but.... tell us more about what you were driving, and how you were driving. Is there more to your story? Bone stock vehicle? Stock Exhaust? Tires squeeling? In a school zone? Had you and Barney had run ins before? :p Was Andy on vacation that day?

In a stock Ranger, you wouldn't get pulled over for mashing the go pedal to the floor in Sport Mode, if you are at or below the speed limit.

Now if your driving your '69 SS Camaro with full length headers and header mufflers, and you dump the clutch, tires squalling and back end drifting... sure Johnny Law will make an example of you.

In some respect though I get what you are saying. When I was 16 I got pulled over and ticketed for a "Show Of Acceleration". I had shoulder length blond hair and was driving my jacked up '70 Nova with mag wheels. The car was a 230 6 Banger, with split exhaust. The car was unable to produce a quality "Show of Acceleration". But it was a good learning lesson for me.

001.JPG
There is more to the story. Car was an M3 with a full exhaust so it was a bit loud. I was practicing cutting a light, using the cars launch control. Tires were most surely fighting for traction. I dont feel like I was being a wise ass to the cop and tried to be respectful, but I can see where comment about the speed limit might have been taken differently.
Sponsored