First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Store Manager
This is my first vehicle with auto start / stop.

Has anyone tested the MPG difference driving around Town with it on, and with it off?

seems like it would be harder on the starter in the long run
Sponsored

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
Idk but I run with auto-start/stop off 90%. And I average 19, I have a heavy foot and run 91.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I’ve tried it on and off and don’t notice much, if any, difference. For example, if I’m reading 20 mpg and stop at a red light, I don’t usually notice it drop to 19.9 while I’m waiting. If its a really long light, maybe, but otherwise no. I would say that if you’re in heavy stop and go, it would make a nominal difference. In routine driving, probably not much.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I hate it and I disabled mine from day one. I'm averaging 21.8 mpg (of course the damper helps ?) and I'm good with that. I'd rather spend an extra couple bucks on gas than deal with that A/S/S!

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
are you looking at the average, or the actual at the time?
i thought my actual went to zero when the engine stopped.maybe i am wrong. i usually monitor the screen with the 4 different values on it.
if youre watching the average you're not going to see much change on the short term
yeah, the average. I’m sure it would have an impact in heavy start/stop scenarios. An easy right foot still makes the biggest impact.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
I think the engineers made it to last. Maybe they made a mistake & the starter
won't last? I like it, don't even notice. I like the idea I'm helping a little even if
I took out the cat from my sport car. I don't think I'm on Gretta's side.
Hijack time, on another note, summer gas, seems I went from 18mpg
to 23mpg, yup, 1st world problems...

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Mine is disabled....I don't get caught in stop an go traffic much, just when there's an accident on the highway. I will notice a drop of a tenth during a long drive through line though. Mine is turned off from my tune. I think I would have kept it if it defaulted off an I could turn it on during the drive through or at the one long light I hit leaving work.

Reactions: Doc

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
I disabled mine and noticed about a 1 mpg difference where I was driving around town. I would’ve left it enabled , but it would turn off the engine when I stopped in the driveway and then 1/2 a second later, it’d start the engine when I put it into park. They fix that and I’ll turn it back on.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I think a good question along the same lines would be wether ASS effects fuel in oil problems.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
It's good for about 3 MPG.

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
I disabled mine and noticed about a 1 mpg difference where I was driving around town. I would’ve left it enabled , but it would turn off the engine when I stopped in the driveway and then 1/2 a second later, it’d start the engine when I put it into park. They fix that and I’ll turn it back on.

That is one of the things that I do not like about the auto start stop system. If I don't use the garage door opener soon enough to have the door fully open then the truck shuts off and then restarts just to pull into the driveway.

Plus I have to go to Columbia Missouri all the time for VA appointments and I don't want the truck to hesitate a millisecond if I have to move out of the way of one of the totally distracted college students. They can't drive and I want to be able to get out of their way in a hurry.

The auto start stop system in my 2016 never did work correctly and I never bothered to get it fixed for the same reasons.

Now for people that live in big cities that are stuck at stop lights all of the time, I can see the advantage of the system.
Sponsored