First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Clinical Engineering
So is the M-18000-RA FOX 2.0, improved shocks with only leveling lift or a overall lift with level above my FX4 setup? Could I just move up to a 265 70r17 from current 265 65R17 on my FX4 suspension? I am thinking on a BFG KO2 tire when I swap out from all I have read. Did the a family trip to Alabama last weekend, and I averaged right at 25 MPG on the whole trip with 40 city/60 hwy mix. My objective is family overlanding and daily driver, I am trying to maximize ROI. That aside I will add a winch with tray because I want it (childhood dream) and to bring peace of mind.
Sponsored

OP
OP
sts90

sts90

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Clinical Engineering
Rock sliders are great for peace of mind on the trail. Not necessary at all, and you can do some pretty rough trails without having to worry about it, but certainly comforting to have when you do get to some rocky sections.

Otherwise, I've been running on the just Eibach front shocks/level at the 2.25" setting (and stock springs) and it has been more than capable on any kind of terrain I've found in Colorado.

After almost 2 years I am finally changing out the rear shocks as well, and just installed an add-a-leaf to make up for all the weight I've added and get a little extra height/clearance.

Also, tires. They are the #1 most important thing to change out. Stick with the 32-33" range, and don't go too wide (I prefer real skinny, but certainly don't go wider than 285).

For reference, I did this "difficult" rated trail, with just a 2" spacer level kit and 32" tires (235/85r16) and no rock sliders or traction control. I would definitely not do a spacer level kit again, but at the time there weren't many options.
Roadboss,
So I would like to thank you. Your video's and channel helped inspired my family trip dreams and how to work them into reality. I have subscribed and look forward to more of your video's.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
So screw leveling kits as they are stupid and render a truck useless(yes I know I will get a lot of hate for this).

A good set of tire and a Practical Lift kit will do quite a bit!! I myself went with the Old Man EMU lift kit by ARB. I also have 285/70-17 Firestone Destination XT'S on stock wheels with no spacers. The overall handeling has improved with the suspension and the OffRoad capabilities are great!! Want to tow? Well you still can tow at factory towing capacity too!!

Here are some pictures of the truck with the tires and lift

0703211155_HDR.jpg

0620211521.jpg

0620211112.jpg

0626211310.jpg

0704210937.jpg

0529211359a_HDR.jpg

0803201851.jpg
How do you like those firestone dest xt’s? How do they compare with ko2’s or wildpeaks? Just wondering because i have an account with them and was looking at those as a possible option.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
How do you like those firestone dest xt’s? How do they compare with ko2’s or wildpeaks? Just wondering because i have an account with them and was looking at those as a possible option.
I love the XT's!! Hoe do they compare to KO2's and Wildpeaks? I honestly cant say entirely. HEY noise is next to nonexistent. Wet traction is amazing!! The plow through Mud and float on Sand!! I have beaten them up with big rocks and they keep going!! Out of all tires I have owned these have to be the toughest tire so far!! What I would like to see is Tire rack put these to the test against the KO2 just to see wich is better!!

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Tires is the first thing to do. A small piece of vegetation (a weed) punctured the sidewall of one of my factory Hankook tires a week after I bought it. I was slowly driving through a grassy field. Yes, that's all it took. My go to truck tire is the Falken Wildpeak AT3W. They work in snow, mud, rock and on the highway. They also self clean very well. I went with 10plys because I drive over a lot of sharp granite rock when I'm offroading
Exaggerate much? Obviously, a weed didn’t puncture your sidewall, lol. I’m on washed out gravel and forest service roads all the time and the Hankooks are fine for that. And they are great on road. When they wear out, I’ll probably jump up to a 265/70 in something like a Cooper AT3 4s.

Skoth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Exaggerate much? Obviously, a weed didn’t puncture your sidewall, lol. I’m on washed out gravel and forest service roads all the time and the Hankooks are fine for that. And they are great on road. When they wear out, I’ll probably jump up to a 265/70 in something like a Cooper AT3 4s.
I don't recall you being there when I pulled a chunk of it out with pliers.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
A stock FX4 is more capable off-road than you might think. A leveling kit and more aggressive tires is all you need. New shocks and struts if you don't like the stockers.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
Stock tires and a front level.

But I would recommend better tires, properly inflated. Something that isn't going to puncture on a sharp rock.
PXL_20200929_231346913.jpg

OP
OP
sts90

sts90

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Clinical Engineering
Thanks for all the advise. Seems here in Louisiana I am in bad position. I was informed all the local trails have been destroyed by rigs setup for mudding and unless I am running 33's with a lift don't bother. I don't want to spend that amount of money to ruin my daily driver for mudding. My goal was to do trail wheeling with my family. I wanted to run with local clubs to learn driving and recovery skills before family trips.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Thanks for all the advise. Seems here in Louisiana I am in bad position. I was informed all the local trails have been destroyed by rigs setup for mudding and unless I am running 33's with a lift don't bother. I don't want to spend that amount of money to ruin my daily driver for mudding. My goal was to do trail wheeling with my family. I wanted to run with local clubs to learn driving and recovery skills before family trips.
Ha. Different strokes for different folks.. Out here I do everything I can to avoid mud even though it is not always possible. I hate cleaning the rig after being in mud.

Edit: I am talking about my Jeep; I don't take my 2 wheel drive Ranger off the pavement. :)

Last edited:

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
For trails you can go with fox shocks up front they are the softest which is great for slow stuff and crawling, unless you're gonna open up rebuildable shocks and change some shims then it doesn't matter the brand. 2.0's are perfect you don't need 2.5's or resis and just put them at the highest setting which should level the truck. For the rear shock put a 2.0 shock that can handle an inch lift and then put the bds shackles and you will have great ground clearance. Some metric ko2 33's will finish it off. I drive regular highway speed during heavy rain on the highway with ko2's and never spin out from a stop and I drive sporty but I do have 2 full spares and some sand bags in the bed.

If you're on a budget 5100's all around with eibach 3" lift spring up front and bds shackles in the rear and ko2's in a size that you don't need new wheels and you will be very capable.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
Hmm, I wouldn't be too quick to give up on it. I've hit plenty of trails in Colorado on 32's and a 2" level, that people say "require 33's and a lift". But I've learned that everyone has a different idea of what is 'required' and what is doable. Often it just takes a little more careful wheel placement and some good driving. Obviously things are different in the mud of LA than in rocky CO, but I would get out there with some recovery gear and a buddy to tow you out. You can always turn around if it gets to be too much.

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
AzScorpion and Frenchy,

Your pictures show about the extent of what I want to do currently.

allow me to be the contrarian, then.

i think your truck is ready to go as-is. and if you have been getting stuck out there, the best bang for your buck without getting expensive and complicated is tires.

i doubt clearance is what is limiting most occasional offroaders, so much as traction.

we did plenty of offroading full stock pushing this truck far beyond what i think you are describing (see some previous threads that touch on this), and later upgraded our tires only making the truck even more capable (slightly more clearance, slighter better tread pattern, slightly better sidewalls) and haven't looked back.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
allow me to be the contrarian, then.

i think your truck is ready to go as-is. and if you have been getting stuck out there, the best bang for your buck without getting expensive and complicated is tires.

i doubt clearance is what is limiting most occasional offroaders, so much as traction.

we did plenty of offroading full stock pushing this truck far beyond what i think you are describing (see some previous threads that touch on this), and later upgraded our tires only making the truck even more capable (slightly more clearance, slighter better tread pattern, slightly better sidewalls) and haven't looked back.
Something to also consider is that if someone does not have a locker like myself then a lift kit that will provide not just clearance but extra travel on all four corners will make a huge difference. This I know because I ran into it with my truck before and after the lift kit.
Sponsored