Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Clinical Engineering
allow me to be the contrarian, then.

i think your truck is ready to go as-is. and if you have been getting stuck out there, the best bang for your buck without getting expensive and complicated is tires.

i doubt clearance is what is limiting most occasional offroaders, so much as traction.

we did plenty of offroading full stock pushing this truck far beyond what i think you are describing (see some previous threads that touch on this), and later upgraded our tires only making the truck even more capable (slightly more clearance, slighter better tread pattern, slightly better sidewalls) and haven't looked back.
What size tire did you go to? I was thinking going to 265/70 R17 which would be one size bigger and put me at about 9.4 inches ground clearance. I am open to suggestions just not going to do any cutting.
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
What size tire did you go to? I was thinking going to 265/70 R17 which would be one size bigger and put me at about 9.4 inches ground clearance. I am open to suggestions just not going to do any cutting.
That size has been confirmed to fit the Ranger without a lift or leveling kit. Will it give you a little extra clearance? Yes, about an inch overall. Could you go a little bigger with a lift? Absolutely. My current setup from the last time I mentioned is the Old Man EMU lift(probably had it then) with the Firestone Destination XT in 285/70-17 on factory sport wheels with no spacers and still have the factory crash bars(no they were not modified). Overall my lift is 4 inches front and 3 inches rear. The truck is still practical to use and drivea on the street just fine. I should add that I can still bottom out even with the extra travel but the ride is way more comfortable compared to stock.

0529211359a_HDR.jpg

0529211359.jpg

0602211803a_HDR.jpg

0620211521.jpg

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
AzScorpion and Frenchy,

Your pictures show about the extent of what I want to do currently. I have done a fair about of traveling by 2wd truck in places I should not have gone before my family. I am looking to do trails with my boys to see what is off the pavement. Maybe some camping as they get older because the boss likes her A/C. I am thinking the Ford fox 2.0. The I will go one size up in tires once these wear out. I picked the truck up used with 7,600 miles at a Subaru Dealership, So the tires will be a minute. I was told to replace the running boards with rock sliders to avoid body damage, that worth it?
Sliders, especially with a kick-out, are worth it even if you're not planning on rock crawling. I live in northern Illinois so not exactly the place to do serious rock crawling. But with past vehicles I can tell you that sliders saved serious body damage going over logs and around trees on tight trails. Its very easy to have a small slip up cause you to end up against an obstacle that will fold the rocker or wedge your truck against a tree. I'm planning on putting White Knuckle sliders on mine when it gets here.

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Swap out stock tires for a more aggressive AT tire, possibly one size up. I also opted for a front leveling kit, with no regrets. My truck spends a lot of time of time off-road and with this setup and I am very happy with it. No desert racing or bombing trails at 50mph here, so stock shocks seem fine to me.

Like it was said earlier in the thread, realistically the stock vehicle can handle everything most owners will throw at their truck.

Last edited:

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
What would you do to a stock 2020 FX4 Ranger to improve off road capabilities without messing it up as a daily driver?
Fox 2.0 leveling kit and bigger tires. Don't bother with the Ford performance kit and don't ask the dealer. Not worth the extra couple hundred bucks. Old Man Emu seems like a good package, but good luck getting finding the right kit. If you're getting the ARB bumper and a winch then there are plenty of heavy load OME kits available, but otherwise you'll be shopping for a while. The heavy load coil springs are the same rate as the standard but 0.5" longer resulting in a ~300lbf difference.

I daily the fox shocks and I am very happy with them. The shocks are very high quality with superior oil, seals, valving, and an aluminum shock body for less un-sprung weight compared to the steel alternatives. Stance is great and ride quality is fantastic on and off road. The response to road imperfections is greatly reduced resulting in much better control and comfort. Rough trails are less exhausting and I bottom out much less. Still on the stock Hankooks as they have ~20k miles of tread left. I'd buy them again if I could get the ATM in a 33", but I want the bigger tire so I'll probably get whatever all terrain is on sale with good ratings when I get to that point.

If you are approaching a high center obstacle head on your frame rails will touch before any body panels, but rock sliders (frame, not body mounted) will account for everything else. A hitch receiver will save the rear bumper more often than you think and only ground clearance and line choice will save the front bumper.

Last edited:

Fonzei

First Name
Alfonso
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
I would also suggest trying the truck out if you haven't already. I took mine out to some mild local trails and it handled pretty well. Kept up with some lifted 'yotas. It really does all depend on what kind of terrain you are hoping to take it through.

Smprfiguy

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Photographer
Vehicle Showcase
a good come-along , some drinking water, a good jack and a tool kit are all you need.

Your willingness to scratch/dent and break your truck are what is going to hold you back.

my non lifted colorado on 31’s went places my tremor cant because im not ready to put it there.

armor and sliders are great, but if your not ok with pinstripes and rashed up wheels then your not gonna really use it

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
a good come-along , some drinking water, a good jack and a tool kit are all you need.

Your willingness to scratch/dent and break your truck are what is going to hold you back.

my non lifted colorado on 31’s went places my tremor cant because im not ready to put it there.

armor and sliders are great, but if your not ok with pinstripes and rashed up wheels then your not gonna really use it
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/where-will-a-bone-stock-fx4-ranger-go.9396/

WyoRanger

First Name
Kymbrill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX-4
Occupation
Automotive Retail
Go off-roading with a group. You will quickly learn what doesn’t work and where upgrades are needed.
I agree. You will learn quite a bit. Get with a family oriented group. I have been in a couple. great people, learned a lot. Most of the more seasoned members will tell you the proper line or just, "You ain't gonna make it. Take the bypass." Plus in the rare case that you break something They are willing to help you get back home. Most offroad clubs at least one of the bylaws is leave no one behind.

Kym

k1w1t1m

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Friends with a 4x4 to run with. Never go wheeling alone.
Recovery strap/rope
Spade or shovel long handled
Tire pump and tire pressure guage.

Go and have fun with your friends.

The list gets long and expensive after these few items and many will be compromises that take away from the roadworthiness/daily driving of the truck.
Sponsored