First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Has anyone successfully used a come-along or hand winch for off road recovery? What was the situation? (I've watched several Youtube videos) I'm considering buying one - your recommended minimum size/features? I have the "usual" other gear - kinetic rope, tow strap, soft & hard shackles, etc. but electric winch is too pricey right now.
Steve
2020 Lariat, FX4, Off Road, Tow Package
Sponsored

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Come Alongs can be dangerous because you have to be in harms way by design unless perhaps you have the ability to set up a snatch block of some sort. If you get one, get one with synthetic rope. I have a good scar on my leg from a metal cable breaking while pulling a stump. Personally, I would not want to rely on one for vehicle recovery.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Most off-road electric wrenches are rated for 8,000 to 12,000 lbs. while most come-along are rated at 2,000 to 4,000 lbs. The come-alongs are very labor intensive with many setups required if the recovery is some distance.
However, if the vehicle is not stuck in deep mud or other major obstacle, a come-along may be just the thing to get you going again. It's better to wheel with friends to help with the recovery but sometimes you may find yourself stuck and no one else is nearby.

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
I've used one to pull to the side of a truck to keep it from sliding into a tree while the trucks winch did the heavy lift. It was a off camber scenario.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Quite a few years ago, my truck got stuck in snow - the back end f the truck slid off a Forest Service road - I used a comealong to pull the back tires back up onto the road - it did work, but it was a LOT of work. It is one of the biggest reasons I got a winch - the winch is SO MUCH easier and faster.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
it can and has been done but better options exist. that said i do have a come along with my gear just in case. i also have snatch blocks and a big cheater bar that fits on the come along to help with the labor. if im using it the poo has hit the fan and im desperate. they are slow going. lots of resetting / rigging required to move more than about a foot unless you buy a really good come along. i used come alongs often doing farm and ranch work. never had one snap a cable but did have one pop the break and let the load go... no one was hurt but the sound was scary.

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone successfully used a come-along or hand winch for off road recovery? What was the situation? (I've watched several Youtube videos) I'm considering buying one - your recommended minimum size/features? I have the "usual" other gear - kinetic rope, tow strap, soft & hard shackles, etc. but electric winch is too pricey right now.
Steve
2020 Lariat, FX4, Off Road, Tow Package
I'd say no if you're really bogged down, yes if you're just struggling with traction.

Mud holes can completely swallow your axle and a comealong will just end up loading a ton of tension on your rope without moving anything.

Best move is to have a buddy with a recovery rope or an electric winch if you run solo.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
This is one of the best ratchet pullers on the market, I carry one on off road, along with my other recovery gear. 6K #'s pull, and 12K drag, more with a snatch block. 35' of Amsteel Blue synthetic 13,500 # test rope.

https://www.baileysonline.com/wyeth-scott-ratchet-puller-3-ton-with-35-amsteel-rope.html
17435_1.jpg
Those are nice but for over $400, you'd be almost in the range of a lower end winch..... The Harbor Freight winches have been rated pretty good and if you watch sales you could probably get an 8,000 lb one for about the same money.

Grandaccess

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Computer Consultant
I carry one also just in case, and also a good snatch set of blocks, the tree saver has come in handy LOL

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
Those are nice but for over $400, you'd be almost in the range of a lower end winch..... The Harbor Freight winches have been rated pretty good and if you watch sales you could probably get an 8,000 lb one for about the same money.
I didn’t install a winch because I tow my truck behind the MH, weight is an issue as well as after market bumper and winch interfering with tow bar attachments. Money wasn’t the issue.

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
Might I suggest a high lift jack? gives you aprox. 3 foot of pull, and used with synthetic rope or straps, can get you out of a tight spot.
jack3.jpg
Something much more useful than a come a long as well as much more dangerous. Read the instructions before use.
I didn’t install a winch because I tow my truck behind the MH, weight is an issue as well as after market bumper and winch interfering with tow bar attachments. Money wasn’t the issue.
A hitch mounted winch at least gives you the ability to back out.
I'm to old to be jacking a handle when I could be pushing a button.

bostonburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Fx4 hot pepper red metallic
Have you looked at the Superwinch Winch2go? I've been looking into them since I don't want to permanently mount a winch on my truck as the New England winters will probably rust one up solid in a year or two. They have 4000lbs straight pull capacity or 8000 with the included snatch block, it wouldn't be good for heavy recoveries but would definitely have enough power to get you out in a pinch.
Sponsored