First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
ive seen people use them... they can work with the proper rigging... but lets be honest here its stupid... ive seen people try and use them and struggle with it for a long time until someone with an electric winch shows up or a snatch strap and boom they are out in seconds instead of almost an hour..(yes i legit watched a dude in a offroad park claim his come-along would get him out just as fast as my warn winch.... an hour and some change good lord!) on top of that if you are on a trail and you start setting the dang thing up you then block the trail! for a long time! anyone showing up is going to be annoyed at that (also good chance they take pity on you and just winch you out...)... its not worth the time or hassle tbh if you are wanting to wheel....

now on the other end of it. if you are not wheeling and you slide off the side of the road yes they do work pretty good for that but again it takes awhile and puts you in the danger zone.. so its a 50/50 to me not a bad idea to have one and a couple of good recovery straps thou. but if you are thinking of buying that silly one for 400+... just go buy a winch and a mounting plate in the oem bumper... or a hitch receiver option where the winch isnt always attached to the vehicle.
Such a limited view of others always being around, that a single winch can save you in all circumstances, and that nothing ever breaks. Think outside the box a little.

I have a 12,000 Warn winch and I still carry the Bailey's come along because: 1 is none 2 is 1, and second pulling direction is often helpful or even required.

$400 gives you the complete set-up, without having to buy a mount or modify your vehicle. If you get stuck and need it, it works 100% of the time, even if your trucks breaks down and has no power. If you are using it and someone comes along with a winch, great, hook up and save a bunch of time/energy. If someone comes along without a winch and is sad because they have to wait for you, TFB for them. If no one comes along you can get your self out.
Sponsored

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase
Such a limited view of others always being around, that a single winch can save you in all circumstances, and that nothing ever breaks. Think outside the box a little.

I have a 12,000 Warn winch and I still carry the Bailey's come along because: 1 is none 2 is 1, and second pulling direction is often helpful or even required.

$400 gives you the complete set-up, without having to buy a mount or modify your vehicle. If you get stuck and need it, it works 100% of the time, even if your trucks breaks down and has no power. If you are using it and someone comes along with a winch, great, hook up and save a bunch of time/energy. If someone comes along without a winch and is sad because they have to wait for you, TFB for them. If no one comes along you can get your self out.
did you not fully read my thing? im also not always around others but when wheeling its smart to at least have a buddy or two in hard wheeling cases sine anything can happen. i also clearly stated its not a bad idea to have one... but to use it as a main recovery item no its a poor choice... that is what this thread is about using this as a main recovery item... it should be a secondary to help move a vehicle like its back end or front end to adjust it or hold a vehicle incase it might slide down a hill (which i have done) i also never stated one winch would save the day fully now did i? the reason i said spending 400 is a waste is the fact of getting a proper winch that keeps you safe while pulling is around that same cost... with that $400 dollar deal it gives you a good setup but i can already tell you (friends have it) you need a bit more when using it offroad its not a spend once and its done kinda thing. on top of that lets talk safety with a winch you are holding the controller away from the line and out of the danger zone vs a come-along we stand right next to a high tension device that can break at anytime (not saying that specific one will but anything can happen) if it gets to much force on it. not saying a winch wont break (ive broken mine and ive seen others snap in front of me) but the risk of being injured is far less then the other being used as a main recovery.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
did you not fully read my thing? im also not always around others but when wheeling its smart to at least have a buddy or two in hard wheeling cases sine anything can happen. i also clearly stated its not a bad idea to have one... but to use it as a main recovery item no its a poor choice... that is what this thread is about using this as a main recovery item... it should be a secondary to help move a vehicle like its back end or front end to adjust it or hold a vehicle incase it might slide down a hill (which i have done) i also never stated one winch would save the day fully now did i? the reason i said spending 400 is a waste is the fact of getting a proper winch that keeps you safe while pulling is around that same cost... with that $400 dollar deal it gives you a good setup but i can already tell you (friends have it) you need a bit more when using it offroad its not a spend once and its done kinda thing. on top of that lets talk safety with a winch you are holding the controller away from the line and out of the danger zone vs a come-along we stand right next to a high tension device that can break at anytime (not saying that specific one will but anything can happen) if it gets to much force on it. not saying a winch wont break (ive broken mine and ive seen others snap in front of me) but the risk of being injured is far less then the other being used as a main recovery.
Yea I fully read your thing, you said it’s stupid and a waste of money. Lol.
Being synthetic there is no inherent danger if using it inline with the vehicle like there is with steel wire or kinetic straps.
Also most winches are still wired controllers with an ~8 foot wire which generally puts you in the danger zone. Mine is wireless so there is more freedom, but that’s not all winches

You may need a bit more depending on what type of wheeling you are doing but it’s not as cut and dry as you represent. Many times I have been or seen when a truck needs a 2 or 3 foot pull to get over a on obstacle, it’s not always 50 feet of mud bog to deal with.

For a new guy to wheeling, who has thousands to spend on recovery gear, this is a great piece of kit that will last a lifetime and essentially work every time. If and when. A proper winch is installed it’s a great back up, if not and you are with a group, it’s a great secondary tool.

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase
Yea I fully read your thing, you said it’s stupid and a waste of money. Lol.
Being synthetic there is no inherent danger if using it inline with the vehicle like there is with steel wire or kinetic straps.
Also most winches are still wired controllers with an ~8 foot wire which generally puts you in the danger zone. Mine is wireless so there is more freedom, but that’s not all winches

You may need a bit more depending on what type of wheeling you are doing but it’s not as cut and dry as you represent. Many times I have been or seen when a truck needs a 2 or 3 foot pull to get over a on obstacle, it’s not always 50 feet of mud bog to deal with.

For a new guy to wheeling, who has thousands to spend on recovery gear, this is a great piece of kit that will last a lifetime and essentially work every time. If and when. A proper winch is installed it’s a great back up, if not and you are with a group, it’s a great secondary tool.
its rather pricey as to why i said its a waste of money but if you got money burning in your pocket go for it. i said its stupid to use it as a main recovery unit... there is still danger with the device it self. but with it being synthetic its a lot better and will keep things safer for if the line snaps.

yes the standard is an 8 foot wired controller but thats more then enough to get away from the danger zone (behind a vehicle or in the vehicle winching as long as no risk of one vehicle going over an edge) ive done it many times with recovery's where im away from the line (i only use synthetic now thou). ive also done short pulls like you are stating but ive never been able to be close to the vehicle to the point the come-along is more annoying to setup then running a snatch block (if needed) or running my line right to the vehicle.

no nothing is as simple as its stated (this is just text so it doesnt come over that well as just talking) i gave exact scenarios on where ive used one. but ive recovered loads of people on trails and only a handful of times did i use a come-along (mainly to help hold incase something slid a way it wasnt suppose to or if i cant get a vehicle in that location, ive also used one as an anchor for a lighter vehicle that kept sliding when trying to winch a xj) i also stay away from mud haha i hate the stuff all my wheeling was on pretty high ranking trails normally leading or following my jeep friends.

most new guys getting into this dont have loads of money lol they just follow friends out from what ive seen. but again if you have the money its a good idea to have one i stated its not a bad idea to have one but again it shouldnt be used as a main recovery item. you even just stated its a great secondary tool to have for that just incase it might be needed

Davidjc

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Super Crew
Occupation
Retired LEO
I didn’t install a winch because I tow my truck behind the MH, weight is an issue as well as after market bumper and winch interfering with tow bar attachments. Money wasn’t the issue.
Same here
20230624_121850.jpg

Davidjc

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Super Crew
Occupation
Retired LEO
Nice Rig! how does that 450 tow? My class A Triton V-10 (tuned) does a great job.
You can tell the truck is behind you but haven't had any trouble pulling. Smokies, Ozarks and Rockies. The v10 is a workhorse!

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
You can tell the truck is behind you but haven't had any trouble pulling. Smokies, Ozarks and Rockies. The v10 is a workhorse!
Especially after a tune that takes it over 400HP :LOL: Took it coast to coast.
Sponsored